walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

CWT Easter or Summer?

CWT Easter or Summer?

Postby Bungee93 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:39 pm

Ok long story short, I am after a bit of friendly advice / views on the best time of year to complete the Cape Wrath Trail in 2023.
I have available;
1. three weeks free at Easter (last week of March til end of the second week of April). Or
2. Last three weeks of August.

Problems I can see are
Mar/Apr likely snow on high passes? and generally wet cold weather. = heavier pack weight slower pace. (It’s a good few years since I have done any Scottish winter
mountains).
Aug - a trillion of the winged biting b******ds.

Any views welcomed …..within reason
Cheers folks
Bungee93

Re: CWT Easter or Summer?

Postby al78 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:14 am

I've not done the Cape Wrath trail myself but I believe the highest point is the bealach between Kinloch Hourn and Shiel Bridge (which I have walked), which is about 700m. I would say this is odds on to be navigable without needing winter kit around April, but it will depend on how snowy the winter is and how cold the start of spring is. Others who frequent the highlands in early spring will be able to advise better.

I've checked the monthly climate table for Fort William and April on average is drier and sunnier than August. July and August in the highlands are surprisingly claggy and damp compared to spring. I believe this is because blocking highs are more likely in the spring months. Some years show little interest in climatology, so this can only be a probabilistic guide at best.

April will be much better for avoiding the midges. August is notorious for them.

If it were me, I'd lean towards April, just bear in mind it will be chilly and be prepared for overnight temperatures to drop close to or below freezing in the glens.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:56 pm

Anything can happen in April weather wise, i have been through Glenfinnan to Inverie 4 times in March/April and not had good weather it has been snowing or very wet

Mam Meadail pass which is about 550m on the way to Inverie,Knoydart.

just as well its summer.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Easter would be my choice, higher chance of settled weather and zero midges to worry about. If possible go slightly later late April/early May.

Lying snow may be an issue on some of the higher sections particularly Bealach Coire Mhalagain.

You'd want a decent 3 season sleeping bag with a comfort rating of around -3°c for that time of year Easter. It dropped below freezing for me a couple of times.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Stevekerr188 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:25 pm

I did it April 2019 over 12 days from 09/04/. Ground was bone dry and hills/high areas free of snow but as has been said previously it could easily be the other way with plenty of snow and poor conditions. There is a good network of bothies for the colder nights.
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Bungee93 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:49 pm

Well thanks everyone, looks like the sensible plan would be to plan for Easter but if bad snow the delay til the summer! I am unable to adjust dates due to school holidays
All your replies have been very detailed and full of useful info thanks for that it’s most appreciated
:D
Bungee93

Postby Sgurr » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 pm

Check when the military will be shooting at Cape Wrath, It is often in April, and although only affects one leg, it is rather a crucial one. Can only find this year's https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/scotland-firing-times
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:14 pm

Midges can be a problem even when not expected, I just finished watching Girl Outdoors's video series on Youtube on the CWT (Highly recommended channel BTW, she's very engaging and also very open about when she makes mistakes unlike some YT channels) and she did it in September thinking no midges. Didn't take a headnet or repellent and got eaten alive.

Also need to watch out for ferry timetables depending on how you're planning to get back, the Durness ferry only runs May to September.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby ahukippax » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:06 pm

I would say Easter. I've enjoyed some nice weather in Scotland at this time, but you can still get winter conditions at that time of the year as well as 20 degrees and sunshine. The midges can be really horrific in August as well as the clegs. I was on the cwt this September while doing the Scottish national trail and midges were still a problem. But, don't be put off. It's a great adventure whenever you do it. Good luck !
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby Sgurr » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:58 pm

Check WalkwithWallace's CWR videos, He did it in spring, but maybe out of school holiday times. You can send him a pm on here. Usually in the Gear threads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCezDtjIl39zMPvzO_sBWWtw
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:09 pm

Sgurr wrote:Check WalkwithWallace's CWR videos, He did it in spring, but maybe out of school holiday times. You can send him a pm on here. Usually in the Gear threads.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCezDtjIl39zMPvzO_sBWWtw

👆👆Robin posted above 👆👆
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby cruachan06 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:08 pm

Becky (Girl Outdoors) has just posted a reflections and overview video of her experiences on the CWT. Personally I really like her channel, her WHW series was really good too.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby naefearjustbeer » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:36 am

cruachan06 wrote:
Also need to watch out for ferry timetables depending on how you're planning to get back, the Durness ferry only runs May to September.

Its not impossible to walk around the Kyle of Durness but a spate in the river may make it difficult/dangerous. The other option is to retrace your steps from the lighthouse back south.
naefearjustbeer
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:5   
Islands:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion