walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dried food

Re: Dried food

Postby WeeHills » Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:37 pm

I don't know about an array of herbs and spices but being of the "live to eat" persuasion (personally I've always though the whole point of traipsing up a hill is it gives you a cast iron excuse to stuff your face afterwards) I've been known to take a pre-prepared curry paste and rustle up a quick dahl on an over-nighter.

Mostly though I favour the classic Roman pastas for camping. Not carbonara, eggs are too delicate for lugging up hills, but all' amatriciana, alla gricia or cacio e pepe are all quick and easy and require few ingredients. And if they were good enough for the Italian shepherds of yore that invented them they're good enough for me. Dam site cheaper than freeze dried nonsense too.
WeeHills

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Freeze dried nonsense here, I like an easily made 1000 calorie meal, and a clean pot afterwards, also means I can make my coffee while the meal is hydrating. Summit to eat macaroni cheese is awesome, tbh I've not really had a bad meal from their range.

I wouldn't be too bothered on WHW though, as there's so many places to eat and/or restock.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Bastonjock wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:Mostly Summit to Eat freeze dried efforts. 8)

Hmm but I've seen you on your yt,s screwing up.your face eating thosec :wink:

Haha, most of them are decent. :lol:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby cruachan06 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:03 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:I wouldn't be too bothered on WHW though, as there's so many places to eat and/or restock.

I've bought a few for my WHW trip purely for the sake of freedom of choice. It's going to be my first long distance trail and I've no idea how I'll feel or how much distance I'll be able to do each day so am making sure I've got options if I decide I've had enough and can't push on to the next town.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby AyrshireAlps » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:08 pm

I've bought a few for my WHW trip purely for the sake of freedom of choice. It's going to be my first long distance trail and I've no idea how I'll feel or how much distance I'll be able to do each day so am making sure I've got options if I decide I've had enough and can't push on to the next town.

Good plan, I meant that I'd not carry enough for the whole way, that was all, just badly worded!. It's definitely a wee unknown, what you'll need and want to eat, but great fun finding out!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Booga » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:59 pm

I make my own "pot noodle" style meals with rice noodles and a sachet of cup-a-soup, then add various things such as the sachets of semi dried vegetables available during Lidl's Italian week or whatever else I fancy. Most of the ingredients are quite reasonably priced as a packet gets split up to make smaller portions. Basically anything that can be transported dry in a ziplock bag and prepared by adding hot water can be added into the mix.

Porridge pots work well for the mornings, I ditch the pots and decant them into ziplock bags too, using a bowl or just one plastic pot for the whole trip. I usually have 2 in the morning and adding sugar or dried fruit to make them more interesting.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:17 pm

Booga wrote:I make my own "pot noodle" style meals with rice noodles and a sachet of cup-a-soup, then add various things such as the sachets of semi dried vegetables available during Lidl's Italian week or whatever else I fancy. Most of the ingredients are quite reasonably priced as a packet gets split up to make smaller portions. Basically anything that can be transported dry in a ziplock bag and prepared by adding hot water can be added into the mix.

Porridge pots work well for the mornings, I ditch the pots and decant them into ziplock bags too, using a bowl or just one plastic pot for the whole trip. I usually have 2 in the morning and adding sugar or dried fruit to make them more interesting.

Here's where I got the recipe from for making my own porridge pots

https://www.elizabethskitchendiary.co.uk/diy-porridge-sachets/

Porbably a bit cheaper than buying the pots, plus you can make them to your own taste and quantity as needed and know exactly what's in them.
cruachan06
Walker

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:38 pm

Breakfast - Great British Porridge Company porridge 1 scoop (chocolate or espresso flavour) with a square of chocolate added
Dinner - Huel Hot and Savoury - 2 scoops (there's about 7 flavours now) 2 scoops =400 cals which is ok for me. Allison complains, but I find I feel quite satisfied after that much Huel.

Good thing about these - light to carry, take up minimal space, nutritious and only need hot water (125ml for porridge, 250ml for Huel) to make them up.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Scottk » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:11 pm

I take muesli or granola for cold breakfasts and instant porridge for hot. Both of these, I weigh into bakofoil safeloc bags which can handle boiling water. I use Nido milk powder and then just add water. For the porridge I add dried fruit, cinnamon or chocolate powder to mix it up a little. I do find I get bored with the same breakfast after about 5 days.
I use dried meals for dinner-summit to eat and mountain trails mostly.
Just wish the meals would come in a BlaBland type bag rather than the deep ones.
Depending on when I get to my camp site my routine is put on water to boil, put up tent, pour water into dried meal, get my mat, sleeping bag etc sorted in the tent. Make a tea or coffee and eat the meal.
If I get to camp early, it’s a bit more chilled!
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Booga » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:54 am

weaselmaster wrote:Breakfast - Great British Porridge Company porridge 1 scoop (chocolate or espresso flavour) with a square of chocolate added
Dinner - Huel Hot and Savoury - 2 scoops (there's about 7 flavours now) 2 scoops =400 cals which is ok for me. Allison complains, but I find I feel quite satisfied after that much Huel.

Good thing about these - light to carry, take up minimal space, nutritious and only need hot water (125ml for porridge, 250ml for Huel) to make them up.

I've been thinking about getting Huel Hot & Savoury. I use regular Huel at work and get on well with it.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:28 pm

Booga wrote:
weaselmaster wrote:Breakfast - Great British Porridge Company porridge 1 scoop (chocolate or espresso flavour) with a square of chocolate added

I've been thinking about getting Huel Hot & Savoury. I use regular Huel at work and get on well with it.

The Hot and Savoury is quite different from the powder stuff, which wouldn’t be good for the hills as it needs too much preparation I think. It’s worth a punt- the Thai green curry seems popular with most, the chilli is quite good, as is the madras. The Mac and cheez is different, the pasta takes a bit longer than 5 mins to go soft, but the flavour is good.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:52 pm

@Booga me too, but I don't want to fork out the minimum 60 quid order to taste it!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby dave munn » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:55 pm

You have all got me pining for an old Vesta Curry which was our staple on the 80s when on trips. Cremola Foam, primula cheese, oatcakes. Porridge with dried milk, plus a bag of sausages. Seriously though loads of great ideas on this post. Might just plan a wee trip in the Spring even though l am getting on a bit now. 😉
dave munn
Mountain Walker

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:59 pm

dave munn wrote:You have all got me pining for an old Vesta Curry which was our staple on the 80s when on trips. Cremola Foam, primula cheese, oatcakes. Porridge with dried milk, plus a bag of sausages. Seriously though loads of great ideas on this post. Might just plan a wee trip in the Spring even though l am getting on a bit now. 😉

That does remind me! And cook your sausages the day before you go, stick them in the fridge and you can eat them cold if you can't be bothered heating them up again. Or if you're cooking them on a fire, whittle yourself a non-pan frying-stick. :D
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:38 pm

dave munn wrote:You have all got me pining for an old Vesta Curry which was our staple on the 80s when on trips. Cremola Foam, primula cheese, oatcakes. Porridge with dried milk, plus a bag of sausages. Seriously though loads of great ideas on this post. Might just plan a wee trip in the Spring even though l am getting on a bit now. 😉

Cremola Foam! That takes me back, used to love that as a kid. Liquid sherbet.
cruachan06
Walker

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion