walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorm 4000'ers snow conditions June?

Cairngorm 4000'ers snow conditions June?

Postby al78 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:26 pm

I've booked a week's self catering in Braemar next June with the aim of climbing the Ben Avon massif, Gley Ey munros, some of the Glenshee munros and the southern Cairngorms. Regarding the latter, what are the snow conditions like in a typical mid-June at 1200m altitude, and am I likely to be able to do the Corrour to Devil's point, Cairn Toul, Sgur a Lochan Uaine walk without needing winter gear? The last time I was in the Cairngorms at that time of year was 2017, but the proceeding winter that year was very poor for snow so I only saw small patches on the high slopes above the Braeriach corries.

Looking at the OS map, I wondered if it is feasible without much technical demand to walk part way up the Lairig Ghru, climb Braeriach from a bit below the summit of the pass, then take the high level traverse to Devil's Point and down to Corrour, although it would likely be too physically demanding for me.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Cairngorm 4000'ers snow conditions June?

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:17 pm

Mid June in the Cairngorms i have never had any problems with snow/ice if sticking to mainly the walking routes.
Corrour to Devil's point, Cairn Toul, Sgur a Lochan Uaine i done late May one year and encountered plenty of snow but it was mostly slushy snow with the temperature rising and it was not a problem.
I suppose the best thing is nearer the time is to look out for trip reports as every year will be different.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby prog99 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:29 pm

You'll not need winter kit in june.

Take/rent a bike for your other trips, you'll thank me for it.

I've ascended onto Braeriach up the vague ridge around NN9667 9965 but based your implied fitness levels it may be a step too far. Theres an old stalkers path further north too (see aerial photography) but I've never personally been up that way.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby al78 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:43 pm

Thanks, yes I intend to take a bike with me to speed up access. The good thing about the munros near Braemar is that even though they are well set back from any roads, there exist a fair few tracks to gain access, and cycling along those will cut down on the long walk in.

As my trip so far is Friday to Friday, I'll consider adding a night or two in Aviemore and do Braeriach from the Sugar Bowl car park. Looking at the map trying to get to Braeriach from the south and around to the Devil's Point is a step too far for me.
al78
Walker

Postby AJ01 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:37 am

al78 wrote:...
... and do Braeriach from the Sugar Bowl car park. Looking at the map trying to get to Braeriach from the south and around to the Devil's Point is a step too far for me.

That's how I did Braeriach as it seemed the shortest and easiest route. The rocky gully SE of Creag a' Chalamain is interesting to walk through, there's a bit of descent to cross the start of the Lairig Ghru but not too onerous, and the ascent of the N ridge of Sron na Lairige is straightforward.

Angus
AJ01

Munros:221   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:55 am

I doubt if there will be much snow left in June, maybe the odd patch, but those should be avoidable. There is often a sharp division; May has a lot of snow left on the peaks, by June it has mostly gone. However, Scotland being Scotland, I would not put money on it! p.s. be aware it still gets very cold, take warm clothing as for winter.

012dR.jpg
Loch Etchachan, May. Big cornices collapsing caused the break in the ice.

Sticil.jpg
Sticil, Loch A'an, June. Tiny patches of snow easily avoided.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Scraggygoat » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:22 pm

I remember you mentioning that you general travel by public transport. In case you are and If transporting a bike by public transport is too much ‘faff’ you can rent from Braemar Mountain Sports. I have no connection with them (well other than my wallet has on occasion been much lighter on the way out than the way in!).
Scraggygoat

Postby al78 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:39 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:I remember you mentioning that you general travel by public transport. In case you are and If transporting a bike by public transport is too much ‘faff’ you can rent from Braemar Mountain Sports. I have no connection with them (well other than my wallet has on occasion been much lighter on the way out than the way in!).

I intend to drive to Braemar, probably breaking the journey overnight somewhere. I looked into public transport and it isn't easy to get to Braemar with a bike without involving a long bike ride on main roads (e.g. from Aberdeen). The most appealing way to do it would be to get a train to Blair Atholl, stay there overnight, then cycle to Braemar via glen Tilt and Linn of Dee, though even that isn't trivial. It would also cost around £200 for the train fare alone.
al78
Walker

Postby al78 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:44 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:I doubt if there will be much snow left in June, maybe the odd patch, but those should be avoidable. There is often a sharp division; May has a lot of snow left on the peaks, by June it has mostly gone. However, Scotland being Scotland, I would not put money on it! p.s. be aware it still gets very cold, take warm clothing as for winter.

Thanks, yes I am aware how cold it gets on the plateau, even in June. A few years ago I spent a week in Aviemore and climbed Cairn Gorm followed by Ben Macdui, the latter was in thick clag and mid single digit temperatures. Felt like a blustery mid January day in lowland England on the summit. I have a bucket list of Cairngorm attractions I hope to experience next summer.
al78
Walker

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:00 am

You can cycle all the way from Aberdeen to Ballater on The off-road Deeside Line. If the 40+ miles only about 3 are on road. Obviously it’s a slower surface than the road.

Alternatively the Stagecoach service take bikes in the hold all the way down Deeside from Aberdeen, they don’t need to be packaged. The hitch is only the coach service do with the under floor lockers. Not buses and you don’t know in advance what type of vehicle will be turning up.
Scraggygoat

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion