walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Trail Recommendations?

Re: Skye Trail Recommendations?

Postby jmarkb » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:26 pm

Although you could get cold weather and some snow on high ground, wet and windy weather is much more likely to be your main problem! In those conditions, and with cool (but above zero) temperatures, it is hard to keep your kit dry and once it is wet, it can be almost impossible to get it dried out again.

You can use multiple dry bags to pack your kit and ensure that you can keep wet and dry stuff separate. It's also important to pitch carefully (not easily done in poor conditions) so that the inner and outer won't touch each other when the wind batters your tent about - maybe worth carrying some extra pegs and guy lines.

If you want to climb some extra hills as a side trip, then the Red Cuillin are likely to be a better choice that the Munros. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/glamaig.shtml (without Glamaig!) and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/marsco.shtml are convenient while on the trail, and https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/beinnnacailleach.shtml is very good if you are staying in Broadford at the end.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Old Stag » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:57 pm

I did it south to north , would highly recommend doing it that way.
Old Stag

Postby fauzool » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:23 pm

Skyelines wrote:Skye weather at the end of March is as noted elsewhere variable from year to year. It is possible to get the extremes of March low temperatures and/or the highs more likely in April.

As most of the Skye trail is relatively low level it is less likely to get day time freezing temps on those parts though 35- 40deg F could be possible. The highest section on the Trotternish ridge has tops between 2000 and 2300 ft. so temps at the tops would be around 7deg F lower than sea level.
Any locations that don't get a good dose of sun during the day can be frosty overnight.

There has been overnight snowfall on the top 500ft of the Storr as late as the second week in April so possible for March too but it tends not to last past the next day. (I can't recall any winter snow on the ridge still laying into March in the last 20 years.)

The Cuillin being that bit higher can keep the snow through April and into early May in the north facing gullies, although sometimes most it's gone before April as it did this year.

Be prepared for rain and wind which is the most probable scenario, anticipate the possibility of cold and hope for the unusual dry, warm and gentle breezes we sometimes have.

If you want to flag this thread up again in March I can look out the widow and give you an update on the conditions on the top of the Storr.

Bumping up this thread. Ive gotten all my gear to include nemo 3 season tent, nemo 15 sleeping bag. Gortex rain pants, gortex jacket shell, multiple base layer options of merino wool 150 and 250+ insulated layers, gaitors, gloves.
fauzool

Postby Skyelines » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:50 pm

Today, (21st March) we have a near cloudless sky here on Skye. The top of the Storr is free from snow. The temperature has been a max of 12 to 13C so expecting a low temperature tonight, possibly down to a couple of degrees. I'm only 50m above sea level so definitely freezing on the tops overnight.
The forecast is looking good for the next 10 days but not much increase in temperature and the possibility of showers towards the end of this week.

I'm off to do some shopping in Portree so will have a look at the Cuillin.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Skyelines » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:41 pm

The shop looked busy so went and took a closer look at the Cuillin before shopping.

It was a bit hazy today.

Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:59 pm

Looks nice! A bit more snow remaining than I would have guessed, but I imagine that other aspects have less.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby fauzool » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:21 pm

I'm so excited!! I leave on Monday, any recommendations/ tips anyone has for me? :D
fauzool

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion