walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glas Tholl path - An Teallach

Glas Tholl path - An Teallach

Postby Bonzo » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:00 pm

It's now over 20 years since I last walked over An Teallach and on this occasion we walked clockwise over Corrag Bhuidhe, Sgurr Fiona and then over Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill.

We descended into Glas Tholl where we were surprised by the magnificent and relatively hidden cliffs that flank the western side of Bidein a' Ghlas Thuill.

A recent bout of reminiscing using Google Earth suggests that there isn't a clear path into Glas Tholl and that the going looks particularly steep, rough and trackless yet my memory of the descent is that it was pretty straightforward with a clear path to follow.

It was a beautiful hot and sunny day so firm ground may have eased our passage.

Is Glas Tholl used by many as an ascent\descent route on An Teallach? Can any of you back up my memories of a path providing an easy route off or are my memories of that day failing me with age? :D
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Re: Glas Tholl path - An Teallach

Postby prog99 » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:54 pm

It’s in my guidebook and very distinctive on the images apple maps use. The google one looks like it came from a poor quality source.
Not that I’ve used the path. Came off 3 different ways so far.

Edit - Microsoft bing maps use the same source as apple.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:54 pm

We came down that way a few years ago, there was a good path to follow much of the way, it was a bit faint through some of the boggy ground, and some care was needed to negotiate the rhododendrons back to the road :lol: . Here is the link to the walk report. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=73869
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:05 pm

The path down through Glas Tholl is ok we done it in wet conditions.

Descending into Glas Tholl the path is just left of river in glen. The second picture shows us heading up the normal path to Sail Liath which shows how wet that Sept was.
P1050336.jpg

P1050334.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Bonzo » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:47 pm

Thanks all.

Ah yes, the rhododendrons, I remember them. A last minute sting in the tail. :lol:
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion