walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Mayar and Dreish

Mayar and Dreish

Postby The snail » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:35 pm

Has anyone done mayar and Dreish lately since storm arwen ? I noticed that Corrie fee is blocked by fallen trees. Is it passable ,or would you have to do the route in reverse and return that way ?
The snail
Mountaineer

Munros:149   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Mayar and Dreish

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:48 pm

There was a post about the road from the Clova Hotel to Glen Doll car park is shut till Friday as far as i know, i take it to be storm damage being removed etc.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby prog99 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:00 pm

The Glen Prosen approach could be an option? I’ve been in that way before.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby The snail » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 pm

Thanks for the helpful info. I've decided to leave it till next year now. I might camp nearby and catch mount keen at the same time
The snail
Mountaineer

Munros:149   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:2   

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:38 pm

Glen Prosen is the only way in at the moment (unless you are really committed and fancy it from Glen Isla). The route up to Corrie Fee is blocked by numerous trees. One of the Forestry Commission guys sent up a drone just after it and the devastation is quite incredible.

The Prosen approach is actually quite decent although slightly longer. I took the bike about 4 miles in for the two earlier this year. Thoroughly enjoyable.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby SarahFR » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:03 pm

Does anyone know if the corrie fee approach is still blocked?
SarahFR
Hill Bagger

Munros:91   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:52 am

The latest advice is Corrie Fee route is still closed Glen Prosen route is open with a slight detour.
Another way of doing them is the ridge opposite the Glen Clova Hotel, nice route but longer day.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby KatTai » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:33 pm

SarahFR wrote:Does anyone know if the corrie fee approach is still blocked?

Yes still blocked and they are saying it could take the much of the year to get all the routes cleared again.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby al78 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:38 pm

I'm surprised glen Clova was impacted to that extent. Normally glens are more sheltered and experience lower wind speeds, and given the strongest winds from Arwen were from the north, there is no funnelling effect as north of the corrie is an extensive rolling upland. I can only think there was some intense topographic enduced turbulence that was advected down into the glen, the sides of the upper half of the glen are quite steep.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby prog99 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:54 pm

The east side of Scotland got battered, don’t think topography had much to do without.
The boundary between fine and not so fine was really stark. Where my dad lives was ok and yet 10 miles east there were multiple trees down and the power was out.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:30 pm

al78 wrote:I'm surprised glen Clova was impacted to that extent. Normally glens are more sheltered and experience lower wind speeds, and given the strongest winds from Arwen were from the north, there is no funnelling effect as north of the corrie is an extensive rolling upland. I can only think there was some intense topographic enduced turbulence that was advected down into the glen, the sides of the upper half of the glen are quite steep.

Nearly the whole of Glen Clova right down to Glen Doll about 22km was badly affected, the storm uprooted the short rooted conifers as the more long rooted native trees were unaffected.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:14 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
al78 wrote:I'm surprised glen Clova was impacted to that extent. Normally glens are more sheltered and experience lower wind speeds, and given the strongest winds from Arwen were from the north, there is no funnelling effect as north of the corrie is an extensive rolling upland. I can only think there was some intense topographic enduced turbulence that was advected down into the glen, the sides of the upper half of the glen are quite steep.

Nearly the whole of Glen Clova right down to Glen Doll about 22km was badly affected, the storm uprooted the short rooted conifers as the more long rooted native trees were unaffected.

Ok, makes sense shallow rooted trees came down, combined with the unusual wind direction for the strength of the winds. Sounds like some modification from the topography and/or a sting jet may have enhanced the peak winds.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion