walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Building new cairns, memorials etc

Re: Building new cairns, memorials etc

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:15 am

NickyRannoch wrote:Must admit Iobbed a few painted stones from the summit cairn off the side of Toll Creagach a while ago which isn't much help as now there are still painted stones on the hill, just a bit further down.

LobeyD wrote: Any painted stones etc. get flung in the nearest remote corrie

Please don't do that. There are people down there, even if you can't see them. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:11 am

We're causing enough erosion just walking the hills, so has to be minimal impact without adding cairns and memorials etc.

NickyRannoch wrote:Must admit Iobbed a few painted stones from the summit cairn off the side of Toll Creagach a while ago which isn't much help as now there are still painted stones on the hill, just a bit further down.

I've done that too, it's naff and tacky imho. :roll:
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby katyhills » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:35 pm

I'm of the opinion they should only be in appropriate places - ie for navigation, especially on routes where going a bit off them could be fatal, or cause a serious injury.
I was deeply disappointed to see a 'memorial' on Stuchd an Lochain this year, complete with plastic flowers. :(

I appreciate that people like the idea of a memorial to someone they've lost, but I just don't think that's appropriate - especially not with plastic flowers.

There's a beautiful memorial in Glen Etive, beside the Allt Mheuran [Ben Starav/Glas Bheinn Mhor etc] tucked in against the trees.

DSCF5117 (800x600).jpg

I assume permission was obtained for it, but it's very moving. I don't think anyone could object to something of that kind.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:03 pm

Earlier this year, I was asked by an elderly lady friend, who knew that we walk the hills regularly, if we would take a small flat stone (about 4" long) that her daughter had painted in memory of her late husband, and place the stone up a hill in an area where the lady and her husband loved to walk when they were young. Well, it's something I don't like to see, but I couldn't refuse the request as it meant so much to our friend. We duly carried the lovingly painted stone up a seldom visited hill that has terrific views of the area our friend loves. I placed the stone on the ground near the summit, took photos of it with the view in the background, and then buried it at arms length in a cavity underneath a huge boulder. My duty was done, our friend was in tears of joy when she saw the photos, and I was happy that no-ne would ever see it again.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby katyhills » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:24 pm

I see no harm in doing something of that sort. A very sensible solution, and also very respectful @Border Reiver. :)
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Stagger » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:05 pm

I was on Dumyat yesterday and saw something that wasn't there the last time, which was in early November. An old fashioned metal kettle has been put on top of the trig point and is stuck fast with a white sealant round it. There is no obvious writing or signage to explain this so have no clue what is going on. I was not impressed with this but it may be something meaningful to someone or an art project and hopefully temporary. There has been an increase of painted stones, padlocks on the beacon basket and other bits this year but this is a leap forward! Does anyone have any information on this latest decoration?
Stagger

Postby gaffr » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:56 pm

Perhaps not many 'baggers' will come into contact with this junk although it is quite close to a defrocked Munro. :)
f IMG-20200504-WA0000.jpg
Near to a defrocked Munro.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:07 pm

Have to confess that I once built a cairn (made out of mountain books) on Cairngormley, the hill formerly known as Plinth

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby matt_outandabout » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 am

Does anyone have any information on this latest decoration?

No, but I've a Stanley knife next time we wander up.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:48 pm

matt_outandabout wrote:
Does anyone have any information on this latest decoration?

No, but I've a Stanley knife next time we wander up.

It's gone - was removed Monday lunchtime. A Stanley knife would have been no use - it was well glued on. Dunno how the person who removed it got it off, but they did. Whereabouts now unknown. It appeared to be a genuine old ship's kettle, possibly connected with Ernest Shackleton - there's been quite a bit of discussion elsewhere.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:46 pm

There was a thread on here a few years ago regarding some arty-farty piece of sculpture / art-installation on top on a hill - somewhere in the Ochils I think.

It was a metal globe / sphere type thing...and I seem to recall it prompted quite a heated debate amongst WH'ers as to its appropriateness.

My favourite response (from a venerable and long-standing user of this site) was something along the lines of "It would be heap of scrap metal at the foot of the bloody hill if I ever get up there" 🤣🤣😂
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion