walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Falls of Glomach

Falls of Glomach

Postby Wombat1968 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:24 pm

My wife and I plan to hike the Cape Wrath Trail this coming spring. We've read various descriptions and wonder if there is a alternative route to the trail down into the Falls of Glomach ravine for those who don't do well with exposure and narrow, slippery trails.??
Wombat1968
Scrambler

Re: Falls of Glomach

Postby al78 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:51 am

The OS map has an alternative path shortly before exiting the forest (NG983239) heading north over a bealach then down to glen Elchaig which looks to be an easier descent than the one by the falls. I haven't walked that route myself so can't say for sure whether or not the path is a work of fiction, but it looks like a long alternative return route for anyone visiting the falls in a day from Morvich. Google Earth shows a faint path but I can't tell what the descent into the glen is like, the path on the map takes a diagonal route downslope which will ease the gradient.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:43 pm

The alternative route on the Harvey's Map is to go via Camban from Morvich towards Altbeithe before swinging west then north passed Sgurr Gaorsaic, then you come out at the east end of Loch na Leitreach.

Another option is heading north from Nonach Lodge near Killilan.

The Falls of Glomach isn't too bad, you'll get an idea of what to expect here. Nothing technically difficult, you just need to take your time. (skip to 16:55).

Attachments
IMG_20211215_113856.jpg
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:03 pm

Actually, looking at the map I attached, if the river isn't in spate you could cross at the top of the falls, got just over a kilometre of pathless terrain, then pick up the path at NH 030 258 down and to Carnach, rather than walking via Camban Bothy. 8)
Last edited by WalkWithWallace on Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:04 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:The alternative route on the Harvey's Map is to go via Camban from Morvich towards Altbeithe before swinging west then north passed Sgurr Gaorsaic, then you come out at the east end of Loch na Leitreach.

If you are going to go up Gleann Gaorsaic, wouldn't it be easier to go via Gleann Choinneachain and Bealach an Sgairne? Again, that is subject to the assumption the path marked on the OS map is walkable as opposed to a hideous slog through vegetation and/or bog. Going via Camban is a huge detour around Beinn Fhada.
al78
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:12 pm

al78 wrote:
WalkWithWallace wrote:The alternative route on the Harvey's Map is to go via Camban from Morvich towards Altbeithe before swinging west then north passed Sgurr Gaorsaic, then you come out at the east end of Loch na Leitreach.

If you are going to go up Gleann Gaorsaic, wouldn't it be easier to go via Gleann Choinneachain and Bealach an Sgairne? Again, that is subject to the assumption the path marked on the OS map is walkable as opposed to a hideous slog through vegetation and/or bog. Going via Camban is a huge detour around Beinn Fhada.

Yeah, that would actually cut out a lot of distance, I was having a quick look at my CWT Harvey's Map to see what that suggested.

To be honest per my second post as I couldn't edit the first, I would just cut across from the top of the Falls of Glomach (if the rivers aren't in spate) and pick up the path down towards Carnach instead.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:48 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:To be honest per my second post as I couldn't edit the first, I would just cut across from the top of the Falls of Glomach (if the rivers aren't in spate) and pick up the path down towards Carnach instead.

I think that is a sensible option, if crossing near the top of the falls is doable, taking the route via the falls gives two options, take the exposed descent or cut across the top. If the Abnainn Gaorsaicv is in spate it might be possible to walk back south along it a short distance until a safe crossing point is found.

All this discussion about this section of the CWT is stimulating me to have a go. Inverinate was the furthest north I got this year, and when I was there I wished I had added an extra day to my holiday to visit the falls.
al78
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:31 pm

The Falls are stunning. I was a bit apprehensive about that section, but I really enjoyed it. Got a wild and untamed feel to it.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Walk wish-list

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:12 pm

Just had a look at that alternative route on os maps and at NH 03283 27503 it descends 40m over 20m of length that’s quite steep to say the least I think before I planned to go that way I’d want to hear from somebody who has done it.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby al78 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:23 pm

This drone footage seems to show two paths from the top of the falls. One (right) leading downhill to a viewpoint and another (left) climbing up which I think eventually descends down a steep shoulder into the gorge.

This video has a few close up shots of the path. The man claims it isn't that bad, the worst bit being a scramble over and down a couple of meters of rock.
al78
Walker

Postby Wombat1968 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:33 pm

Thank you al78, WalkWithWallace and SteveNorthumberland for your information and suggestions. Maps for the CWT should be arriving soon, we live in western Montana USA, and we'll look at the alternate routes. We just hope we can travel to Scotland this coming spring.
Cheers,
Wombat1968
Scrambler

Postby SteveNorthumberland » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:19 pm

Wombat1968 wrote:Thank you al78, WalkWithWallace and SteveNorthumberland for your information and suggestions. Maps for the CWT should be arriving soon, we live in western Montana USA, and we'll look at the alternate routes. We just hope we can travel to Scotland this coming spring.
Cheers,

What I’ll try and do a bit nearer the time is plot a map route (on the os maps desktop site) for whichever you decide and it includes a 3d fly through I don’t think I can download it but could video it on my phone and send it to you.

Been meaning to do it for that 20 metre long 40 metre drop bit but just not had chance.
SteveNorthumberland
Backpacker

Islands:12

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:04 pm

SteveNorthumberland wrote:Just had a look at that alternative route on os maps and at NH 03283 27503 it descends 40m over 20m of length that’s quite steep to say the least I think before I planned to go that way I’d want to hear from somebody who has done it.

We did this section downhill in the dusk in Feb 2001 after an amazing day on Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, heading to our bikes at Carnach. On the day, it was just about below the last remnant of the snow line, and visibility was the biggest issue for us. I remember it as steep and not obviously a big path, but not difficult other than seeing what we were doing. Not sure if this helps!

The cycle out down the glen, with all the puddles frozen and the stars wheeling above, was a memorable one.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:49 pm

The path up past the Falls of Carnach is steep but no real issues and certainly not as exposed as the Falls of Glomach path. The Falls of Carnach are well worth a visit also.
On my first visit to the Falls of Glomach you were able to drive up Glen Elchaig from Killilian and park near where the path heads up the Glomach Gorge.

The last few times up that way I have cycled up the Glen and twice encountered the highland coos, one who tried to put a horn through the spokes of my pals bike.
It's my main concern of danger in that area. They seem to like loitering about the track. :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Old Stag » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:58 am

As Scotland's clumsiest man I avoided the Falls of Glomach both times I've done the CWT.
I went via Dornie, there is pavement to Inverinate then some verge walking then a high quiet road you can go off onto that will take you into the village. I stayed at the campsite at Ardelve.
From there I went up Glen Ling. The first time coming out at Attadale and road walking to Strathcarron was pretty hair raising with blind corners and such. The second time I went up Glen Ling and joined the CWT near Ben Dronaig bothy. This was longer but safer.
Overall if I did it again I would probably try the Falls of Glomach path as it is a bit of a rite of passage. But going via Dornie gave me an extra night in the pub.
Old Stag

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion