walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

West Highland Way in April

West Highland Way in April

Postby jojo77m » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:54 am

Hi
I've got kids in school and a wife that only want's me to walk when my parents can take the kids (so she can staycation relax), so my options for dates are really the 1st 2 weeks in April or August (English school holidays).
I'd prefer not to be walking in a line of people but I don't mind seeing the odd 1 or 2. I'm planning on mainly wild camping with a campsite every 3 nights or so.

What would be the recommndations, April or August? and if it's April, what am I likely to experience with weather, if I've got head down the whole way I wouldn't enjoy it much.

It's 25 years since I left Edinburgh and I absolutely do not remember the weather and I was never in the highlands outside the main summer season or Jan/Feb to ski

thanks
stephen
jojo77m

Munros:1   

Re: West Highland Way in April

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:44 pm

You could be lucky or unlucky with the weather in either April of August. Statistically April is drier, but also colder and windier. Snow is unlikely to be a problem. Zero chance of midges in April, 100% chance in August! Arguably better scenery in April (winter colours, snow on the tops). April also likely to be quieter.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:11 pm

It would be April for me, if only to avoid the midges. You cannot plan for the weather. We chose the 1st week and a bit in May as statistically it was the driest time of year. Well, it rained every day and our boots never dried out after the first day. Views were obscured and paths were streams. The camaraderie amongst walkers was brilliant, sharing stories of leaking waterproofs, blisters and subsequent failures to dry out wet clothing. It was quite satisfying to make it through each day though.
In another year we chose to stay at Braemar for a week in mid March and the sun shone with accompanying heat every day, with one day being the warmest place in the UK at 19 deg c. We were equipped for cold weather. Best bet is to take the weather as it comes.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby BigTed » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:16 pm

April. No fun in camping in August in peak midge.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby cruachan06 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 pm

Of those 2, April for me. In fact I would have gone last April if it was allowed at the time, although it turned out to be the coldest April for a long time, maybe on record IIRC.

From my own research, best way to avoid people is not to start on a Saturday if possible.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby davekeiller » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:21 am

The West Highland Way is generally fairly sheltered because most of it is down in the glens. You're therefore unlikely to get horizontal driving rain (not impossible, but unlikely).

If you go in April, it will be quieter because you're a little bit out of season. There are also unlikely to be any midges. It will most likely be fairly cold at night, with temperatures likely to dip below freezing.
It's unlikely there will be snowfall, although there's likely to still be snow on the tops. The ground is likely to be wet due to spring snowmelt, although it's a well-made path and unlikely to be boggy.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:26 am

August is peak midge and holiday season. April would be my pick every time. Temperatures will likely drop below freezing, but the weather is so unpredictable. April also see a steady flow of people on the trail too. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:51 am

If you plan on wildacmping, be aware of the byelaws https://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/things-to-do/camping/campingbyelaws/

They get problems with irresponsible wildcamping around Loch Lomond and, for good or ill, the national park authority have introduced byelaws to try and reduce the problems. If you go in April, it's less likely that there will be a problem, and any wardens are much more likely to leave you alone.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby BigTed » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:17 pm

The camping zone ends a mile or so north of Rowerdennan at Ptarmigan Lodge. There are a few nice spots near the shore in the next stretch. My favourite is at the X.

point.jpg
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby katyhills » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:58 pm

April for me too - for the reasons already given. I found it pleasant in April, but I can't say I'd have enjoyed trying it in August.

The wild camping issue would certainly be something to take into account, as already mentioned.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby jojo77m » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Thanks all
I will be going in April, spoke with NevisSport in Fort William and they've chosen my sleeping bag for me (snugpak-sleeper-xtreme-sleeping-bag) which should work well with my mat and baselayers.

Now i've just got to decide on between my broken in boots vs xmas pair of new trail shoes.

@BigTed, thanks for the map I couldn't find exactly where the boundary finished, I was planning on sleeping on X so that worked out well.

thanks,
Stephen
jojo77m

Postby Avocetboy » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:28 pm

Be aware that the Highland Fling Ultra Marathon is n the 23rd April. Milngavie to Tyndrum will be extra busy with runners
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby LobeyD » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:15 pm

Avocetboy wrote:Be aware that the Highland Fling Ultra Marathon is n the 23rd April. Milngavie to Tyndrum will be extra busy with runners

A few years ago I bailed on a hillwalk due to the unforecast and very localised return of winter on An Caisteal and ended up going against the flow of the race between Crianlarich and Inverarnan. I can vouch for the fact that the slower 'runners' get a bit grouchy by that point :shock:.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Bastonjock » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:45 pm

I'm planning on doing the WHW next April ,what started as a father and son trip has now grown to 4 ,our rough plan is to camp a few miles outside of milngavie on the Thursday night and start early Friday morning
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Postby HighlandExplorer » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:35 pm

I’ve done the WHW in March, April and the last week of August before. March was glorious with virtually no other people. April also wonderful, slightly warmer, but still no midges. August was crowded with both other hikers and midges! So, along with all other people, I’d recommend April!
HighlandExplorer
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion