walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking up to Lochnagar

Re: Walking up to Lochnagar

Postby Scottk » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:36 pm

It is one of my favourite days out. Do it a few times a year both clockwise and anti-clockwise. The parking is now £5 per day! I find it a good way to test my fitness-if I can do the round in about 6 hours I know I am pretty hill fit. Also depends how I feel the next day.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:48 pm

I have been there and I live in Dundee. Happy to have helped. Good luck with your report
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Glengavel » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 pm

Walked up it earlier this year on a bright clear day and got the sunburn to prove it. Lovely walk, some steep bits, but on the whole a fairly easy ascent. The return walk along Loch Muick was a bit of a trudge though.
Glengavel
Walker

Munros:29   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:11
Wainwrights:29   Islands:19

Postby Munro22 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:10 pm

AHillTooFar wrote:I eventually got there on my third try due to weather etc back in march 2017.

Got there on a sunny day with some snow making the corrie fantastic. I will probably go back on day, get some better pictures. I went up the stone "steps" from the east and descended to lock muick via the southern path.

Yes, I also had a try first that ended in mist and rain and I had to walk back before reaching the top.
Munro22

Postby Munro22 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:15 pm

Scottk wrote:It is one of my favourite days out. Do it a few times a year both clockwise and anti-clockwise. The parking is now £5 per day! I find it a good way to test my fitness-if I can do the round in about 6 hours I know I am pretty hill fit. Also depends how I feel the next day.

So you can go there more than once a year. You are lucky!
Munro22

Postby Munro22 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:17 pm

Glengavel wrote:Walked up it earlier this year on a bright clear day and got the sunburn to prove it. Lovely walk, some steep bits, but on the whole a fairly easy ascent. The return walk along Loch Muick was a bit of a trudge though.

That reminds me on my second walk up there!
I also brought back a sunburn as a prove! :)
Munro22

Postby Sgurr » Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:51 pm

Hi Munros 22. I too have gone up Lochnagar, but maybe not the way you went, as husband was then into bagging Corbetts, so I had to climb the adjacent Corbett Concachcraig if I wanted a companion. I did it in 1994 so was only 56 at the time. We did it from Glen Muich and folllowed the tourist track up the Allt-na Gubsaich to the col, above which was still extensive snow even in July. Up 200m to Conacraig where the big boulders are reminiscent of those on the Cairngorms It was very windy, but we met a gang of bedraggled path builders as we ascended via "The Ladder" and had to check our direction in the clag as we weren't sure that the many cairns would lead us to the summit. We descended the same way. I still have a Munro top up there to do, but may never manage it now.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:15 am

I've climbed it twice from Spittal of Glenmuick. First time was on my own on a sunny but hazy summer day. Second time was on a late winter trip with Leeds University hiking society in clag and winds gusting to 50 mph (measured by a hand held anemometer).
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Dec 19, 2021 12:40 pm

I have climbed it on three occasions, two of which resulted in hilarious levels of sunburn. I don't live in Dundee, although I used to live in Lochee.

Happy to be of assistance.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:23 pm

It was my very first Munro, on a sunny August day many years ago, when I didn't know what Munros were and certainly didn't know I would ever go up them all. We went up the path from loch muick and back down by a waterfall. I wore my first ever walking boots, which had a steel shank and weighed a tonne!
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Munro22 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:19 pm

katyhills wrote:I'm not sure I understand your query.
I've been there several times, but I can't remember an awful lot about the approach, other than it being pretty straightforward. Obviously, the time of year and conditions have a bearing on that.

What is it that you need in order to write a report? Most people take lots of photos and then use those to write about the walk . :)

Let me explain.

I am 75 und will be 76 this year.
When I walked up to Lochnagar I was between 20 and 30 years old.
I was reminded of those days and wanted to write about it.
But when I wanted to write my report I found questions for the exact length of the walk, the exact time, the exact altitude etc etc. All this I do not know anymore - or not exactly.

So instead of writing an official detailed report I thought we might just have a talk.
A talk on the walk.

So I asked who had been there as well - to start a talk.
I did not want to ask for help with my report.
Of course you cannot help me with that.

I just wanted to open a talk.
THat was all.

Now I hope i could clear this up. :)
Munro22

Postby Munro22 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 pm

jupe1407 wrote:I have climbed it on three occasions, two of which resulted in hilarious levels of sunburn. I don't live in Dundee, although I used to live in Lochee.

Happy to be of assistance.

Yes - I also remember having returned with a sunburn! :)
Munro22

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:58 pm

Munro22 wrote:
Let me explain.

I am 75 und will be 76 this year.
When I walked up to Lochnagar I was between 20 and 30 years old.
I was reminded of those days and wanted to write about it.
But when I wanted to write my report I found questions for the exact length of the walk, the exact time, the exact altitude etc etc. All this I do not know anymore - or not exactly.

So instead of writing an official detailed report I thought we might just have a talk.
A talk on the walk.

So I asked who had been there as well - to start a talk.
I did not want to ask for help with my report.
Of course you cannot help me with that.

I just wanted to open a talk.
THat was all.

Now I hope i could clear this up. :)

You do not need to know altitude, distance, time etc. etc. to write a report - just leave these blank - they are not required all you need is a title ie "Walking up to Lochnagar"
and a date. If you don't remember the date just put in an approximate. The report doesn't have to be any more detailed than you want it to be.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Munro22 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:34 pm

Thank you very much for your help, Sunset Tripper! :clap:
Now I can have a second try some day! :)
Munro22

Postby Scottk » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:02 am

Munro22 wrote:So you can go there more than once a year. You are lucky!

I live north of Aberdeen so it’s only about 90 minutes to get there. I usually do the White Mounth round of the 5 Munro’s as it’s a great day out and not much further than doing Lochnagar itself (29k vs 19k).
It is very busy nowadays during the summer. The last 2 years has seen very poor parking once the car parks are full. The council have closed the road on a few occasions once the car park is full so that local residents and emergency services can get access. I try and get there early and you can usually get a space.
It’s also great in winter but a more serious outing.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion