walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ireland west coast mountains season?

Ireland west coast mountains season?

Postby Bowkes » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:00 pm

Does anyone know the 'best' time of year to visit the mountains of Ireland? I'm planning a visit in 2022 and hoping to take in the Reeks and Brandon Mountain in the south west & Mweelrea in Connemara. I'm assuming there's a preferred season like the Highlands when the weather 'might' be more settled, and although I've been quite a few times before, my trips into the hills have usually been secondary to cycle touring or motorcycling ventures.
Bowkes
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:45   

Re: Ireland west coast mountains season?

Postby al78 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:25 pm

After a quick search it looks similar to Scotland, April to June look to be the driest and sunniest months on average. The Met Eireaan site has monthly climate data for several places around Ireland, and Wikipedia has climate graphs for a handful of places:

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Ireland
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Jim777 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:15 pm

Did all the hills you mentioned plus others when I spent a fortnight over there one June. The weather was so good, sun splitting the sky from dawn till dusk, that I decided to go back on exactly the same fortnight the following year. It rained so much I ended up phoning the ferry company to see if I could come back after 10 days. And yes it’s like the West coast of Scotland. The hostel I stayed at up in Connemara was the first time I’d ever seen a large midge-executor. The thing was enormous and sat out on the patio sucking the little blighters in. Enjoy.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:04 pm

I'd say it's similar to the Highlands and equally as unpredictable, April through to June probably. The Reeks are fantastic by the way. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby arjh » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:18 pm

I toured the west coast of Ireland in April 2010 for two weeks when the unpronounceable Icelandic volcano erupted, closing Atlantic airspace for a week. The high pressure kept the ash cloud in place for so long that the Americans in the hostels I stayed at despaired of ever getting home.

Wikipedia says the airspace was closed 15th-20th April so I was definitely there then. The whole two weeks of my trip was wall-to-wall sunshine from the high pressure - the ferry crossing from Fleetwood to Larne was like sailing over a sheet of glass. So maybe late April could be good!

The Reeks are great, the Faha arete on Brandon was excellent and I enjoyed Errigal in Donegal as well (only a short day though so maybe not worth the detour in pure hillwalking terms unless you are already in the area).
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:50 pm

I lived in Galway for over a decade. Very similar to Scotlands west but a good bit more rain. Persistent light rain can last for weeks sometimes, very unpredictable.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Jim777 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:41 pm

I meant to say earlier if you only have time for one walk up in Connemara then I would suggest you make it the Glencoaghan Horseshoe in the Twelve Bens rather than Meelwree. I did not find Meelwree a very exciting outing whereas in good weather the Horseshoe is amazing and almost entirely on rock.
Jim777
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion