walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

50 & fitness level for Skye

50 & fitness level for Skye

Postby 0113 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:17 am

Hello,

My wife an I are going to Skye in May, so I have started to get in some sort of shape for it. At present my weight is about 14st 4lb (5ft. 10in).
To this end I have started a circular walk (Otley Chevin), which lasts 2hr 30 mins carrying 25-30lbs this has about 2100 ft of ascent, if I continue to do this, will this give me the required fitness levels for The Cuillin Hills?
Thanks in advance.

Re: 50 & fitness level for Skye

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:05 pm

That sounds like hard training - though wouldn't you have to go up and down the Chevin lots of times to do 2000' of ascent?

Experience, navigation etc. is just as important as fitness - together with a head for heights/scrambing skills.

Have you done much mountain walking in Scotland before?

If not, I'd suggest you tried to team up with someone more experienced as having the Cuillin as your first mountain ascents would be a bit of a baptism of fire. Or you could hire one of the excellent Skye mountain guides.

Otherwise there's plenty of good hillwaking in the corries or elsewhere on the island such as in Trotternish.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby 0113 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:43 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
A little bit of back-ground. Have bagged about 40 Munro's and have a little climbing experence having done a week with a guide quite a few yrs ago. also done the usual scrambles.- stack polly , tryfan, saddle etc.
Re; Chevin, lots of times, 5 times. Haha yeh if my calculations are correct. please correct me if I'm wrong in my calculations.
I should really go do Penyghent or Wernside. It's just close and don't have much time during the week.

Thanks

Postby Paul Webster » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:49 pm

Thanks. In terms of effort, the Cuillin don't require more than other Munros (unless you are doing the complete traverse :wink: )

Sounds like you've done a bit of scrambling; the best thing to do is to try the easier peaks in the Cuillin first and build up; look out for loose rock, and don't do anything you can't reverse.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby canisp » Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:56 pm

Hi 0113

I think you need to increase the height you gain in a walk to at least 3000’. While carrying a 30 lb rucksack to get fit is ok, i would find this heavy to be carrying in the hills in may, of course you cannot compromise safety and hill walkers will have their own views on this. Tryfan would not look out of place on skye, as you have done this mountain it gives a little idea of what awaits you. The individual peaks on skye are over 3000’ high, and you will be starting from sea level, unless you are camping out. The cuillin mountains are not remote by scottish standards, but they are very rugged hills, with sharp ridges. A large scale map at least 1:25000 would be advisable. The scenery on and from the cuillin is second to none. Hope the weather’s kind to you.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Postby 0113 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply,

Re; 3000ft hills I agree with you the higher the better, the nearest hills are the Lakes, but I don't have the time to get there and so thought if I carried a heavier load. This would compensate for the lack in height.
Already have os map, I was planning on going up Great Stone Shoot, just thinking about it, I can't wait.
I also have a week in feb but I doubt My wife will let me go then, hahaha
Will also be be planning for October, either around The Ben or Torridon. Good fun planning even better when your there!!

cheers

Postby 0113 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:02 pm

Hi.

just being weighed, and I've lost another 3lbs, yippeee. Only another 18lbs till I reach my desired weight. It's a bit of a ball ache in this weather though. But it will be worth it when I'm 13st.
Does anybody know the kcal I burn whilst doing this little walk. (2hr30 min carrying 25-30lbs)
many thanks in advance. Just wondered.
I have also being a Vegetarian, and cut out all dairy products too. so this could also be a factor in my weight loss.
All or nothing is my way, haha

Postby orion » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:22 pm

I`m getting fitter just reading this topic :lol:
orion

Postby bio-man » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:03 am

Hi 0113

Sorry bout late reply, have just joined. I'm process of getting back to full (hopefully) climbing fitness after a bad fall last year. I use the treadmill at the gym for cardio and strength, increasing height and distance, though not speed, keeping it at walking pace. When I was training b4 fall,I did use a pack tho, looked a bit daft in the gym but who cares!! I would be careful about using a heavy pack, tho starting out as you could cause back and shoulder injuries. Work and stretch those muscles b4 the pack. Another exercise which I used was to carry 2 small weights while walking and use them to work the arms, chest and shoulders. Just be careful of the lower back, do sets of torso raises, lying on front and lifting at the waist, excellent for strengthening back.

Hope you enjoy Skye, haven't been there myself
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Postby bio-man » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:37 pm

http://www.caloriesperhour.com ......you can calculate your calorie burn more accurate here
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion