walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

When can you claim the Munro

Re: When can you claim the Munro

Postby magicdin » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:43 pm

prog99 wrote:The estate regularly drive up that hill in their land rovers which I think trumps your ebike by some margin.

A good few years ago I watched an estate landrover tow some form of covered wagon up Carn an Tuirc, must have been for stalking parties?. And no I am not dreaming 😜
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:12 pm

al78 wrote:Depends on what you mean by "major distinction", maybe not in moutaineering circles compared to doing the seven summits, but I would say it is a significant achievement. You need to learn plenty of skills, know how to deal with ferocious weather (e.g. when it is right to press on or retreat), be very fit, and have good mental strength. All valuable transferrable skills to life in general.

It’s a personal achievement, it maybe significant for the individual, but not significant. Most UK towns now have several people that have climbed classic North Faces in winter (some as w/e hits from the UK), or people operating at a high standard on remote Scottish mixed, fell runners whom have done multiple classic rounds, people working their way through the 7 summits as retirement or holiday objectives, multiple folks with lots of Alpine 4000ers under their belts. Munro bagging is going for a walk up a hill, and many scottish based walkers will complete within around a decade without dedicating themselves task just by going out once a month or so, or over a longer period by intermittently getting out, that doesn’t mean to say it’s not worthwhile.

There are people whom have done all their munros without reading the map once or taking a single compass bearing, simply by joining social media organised walking parties…..I kid you not!

To add to the tally I have done a number of Munro rounds (consecutive rather than concurrent) and registered none of them.
Scraggygoat

Postby jupe1407 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:22 pm

magicdin wrote:
prog99 wrote:The estate regularly drive up that hill in their land rovers which I think trumps your ebike by some margin.

A good few years ago I watched an estate landrover tow some form of covered wagon up Carn an Tuirc, must have been for stalking parties?. And no I am not dreaming 😜

You probably weren't! My partner and I did the East Glen Shee 6 around 2015 and on our way up from CaT to CoC we had to step aside as a "Highland Safari" landrover took a thoroughly bored looking family along the track towards the summit.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Dave Hewitt » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:01 pm

jupe1407 wrote:
magicdin wrote:My partner and I did the East Glen Shee 6 around 2015 and on our way up from CaT to CoC we had to step aside as a "Highland Safari" landrover took a thoroughly bored looking family along the track towards the summit.

The Highland Safari outings always seem like a good idea to me - I've heard of elderly hillgoers who have got past the point of being able to get in amongst the hills and glens they've spent 50-odd years stravaiging (!) under their own steam and for whom off-road guided trips have been a godsend. Plus it provides work for a few people and brings money into the local economy. Whenever I've encountered them - eg up the Callater glen - the drivers and passengers have all been very cheery. It seems like an ideal answer to the question asked on the "Reduced mobility access" thread also being discussed here.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby al78 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:57 pm

Scraggygoat wrote: Munro bagging is going for a walk up a hill...

That is rather underplaying it IMO:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/munros/inaccessible-pinnacle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aonach_Eagach

Many others become more than "a walk" once the weather deteriorates, which it does frequently in Scotland, and in winter conditions, it crosses into mountaineering.

If you only climbed the Munros when you were able to get a view from the summit and didn't require winter gear, how long would it take on average (given climatology) to complete the round?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:18 pm

If you go out just once a month for ten years, giving ample opportunity to avoid the worst of the weather and get good conditions you would only have to do just over two munros per days outing to finish. Perfectly achievable, as soon as someone adds a weeks holiday, or two long w/e s , or regularly both days of the weekend every month, into the mix there is no need to venture out on the days when the munros are fully in winter coat. Though IMO that would be missing them at their best.
Scraggygoat

Postby Moriarty » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:04 pm

al78 wrote:

Many others become more than "a walk" once the weather deteriorates, which it does frequently in Scotland, and in winter conditions, it crosses into mountaineering.

If you only climbed the Munros when you were able to get a view from the summit and didn't require winter gear, how long would it take on average (given climatology) to complete the round?

There is no real point in trying to big it up, or underplay it. In reality it varies radically. There are plenty of people who do not walk in winter, there are plenty of people who walk in groups, people who follow downloaded routes on phones and so on.

There are others who seek out winter, walk alone and navigate in a white out by compass and the vibration of their facial hair. ;) They may even post pictures of their anenometers on social media to share how terrible the conditions they can conquer were. ;)

A Munro round can be a series of walks and one (assisted) climb, or it can be a series of battles of will on the cusp of death (often with much moaning about "boring rounded hills").

It's simply something that has been done 7000-9000 times and each tale is different.
Moriarty

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:08 pm

If you can stop and hold a camera steady enough to take a photo of your anemometer the conditions can’t be that bad :wink:
The problem with the facial hair technique is it stops working once rimmed up with ice :lol:
Scraggygoat

Postby gman » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:24 pm

al78 wrote:

You can get to the AE Munros separately without scrambling, and many (most?) In Pinn ascents are a walk up a hill then the hired guide takes over. Of course, from a hill bagging perspective it doesn't matter how you get to the summit.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby al78 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:39 am

Scraggygoat wrote:If you go out just once a month for ten years, giving ample opportunity to avoid the worst of the weather and get good conditions you would only have to do just over two munros per days outing to finish. Perfectly achievable, as soon as someone adds a weeks holiday, or two long w/e s , or regularly both days of the weekend every month, into the mix there is no need to venture out on the days when the munros are fully in winter coat. Though IMO that would be missing them at their best.

There's hope for me yet then. :D

I have been up a couple of munros in winter conditions, and I know what you mean, it is a different world. Realistically I have no chance of coming close to completing, the desire to do so isn't there, and I tend to climb hills to get a good view, which means climbing lower hills as well.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:45 pm

I don't have an issue with the concept of Highland Safaris for people with limited mobility but their relationship with North Chesthill would probably stop me spending money with them.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:37 pm

Pointless Parasite wrote:
Dave Hewitt wrote:I think it's an automated thing - it has me down as a "Mountaineer", which I'm certainly not.

It happened when Paul added 'Stravaiging' to the list of activities, which caused the list to become muddled up. You can change it from the user control panel, although I quite like stravaiging (wondering aimlessly) :lol:

I met a man on my final Donald who said he was a "flaneur". I had to look it up, and came to the conclusion he probably wasn't, unless he was a flaneur as well as being a stravaiger.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flaneur?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby CharlesT » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:18 am

Sgurr wrote:
Pointless Parasite wrote:
Dave Hewitt wrote:I think it's an automated thing - it has me down as a "Mountaineer", which I'm certainly not.

It happened when Paul added 'Stravaiging' to the list of activities, which caused the list to become muddled up. You can change it from the user control panel, although I quite like stravaiging (wondering aimlessly) :lol:

I met a man on my final Donald who said he was a "flaneur". I had to look it up, and came to the conclusion he probably wasn't, unless he was a flaneur as well as being a stravaiger.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/flaneur?utm_campaign=sd&utm_medium=serp&utm_source=jsonld

Neither seems apt to me. A stravaiger being one who strolls or wanders (Scottish/northern dialect term) and a flaneur being one who does more or less the same in an urban environment (Baudelaire likened it to dilettantism). Walker would be a better description of what the person is doing and how he might be described in a non urban environment. Why complicate matters?
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:19 pm

Flanneler was possibly what he meant! :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:07 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Flanneler was possibly what he meant! :D

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: He may read this and be able to explain himself.

" We asked him if he was a bagger or a wanderer “I’m a flaneur,”* he said. He doesn’t bother with maps and compasses but just downloads routes from Walkhighlands. “There’s a red route, and I’m a blue dot on it.” "

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80361
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion