walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

When can you claim the Munro

When can you claim the Munro

Postby icemandan » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:00 pm

Any views?

Helicopter - No
Trail bike or off road vehicle - No
Funicular (Aonach Mor, Cairn Gorm) - No
E bike - ?
Pedal bike - Yes
Drive to highest road (Glen Shee, Coire Cas) - Yes
Ascend from neighbouring Munro - Yes
Start from above sea level - Yes
icemandan
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:26
Fionas:13   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:199
Wainwrights:214   Islands:33

Re: When can you claim the Munro

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:36 pm

When you own it? Note I don’t own any.

You don’t really get a true a appreciation of many Munro’s until you gave ascended and descended via multiple routes and differing conditions, say 6-12 times,

Along the way you will realise that they are not there for !the claiming’. Nor will you see them as ‘wilderness’ or truely isolated as nearly every hill is somebodies local, and nearly every glen has some form of activity (obviously for many not daily).
Scraggygoat

Postby Kenny Raeside » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:43 pm

I’d say when you provide the power to get to the top from the public access road.
Kenny Raeside
Mountain Walker

Munros:252   

Postby Lightfoot2017 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:57 pm

Not sure I fully understand the question...?

Do you mean when can we claim to have *done* the Munro?... to the extent we can tick it off the list?

If so, for me it's an absolute: I either reached the summit cairn or I didn't. If I didn't, then I can't claim to have bagged that Munro.

For example, last week, I got to within a few minutes of bagging Stuc a Chroin (a repeat). But I had to turn back. I won't claim that I bagged it.

However, others may have a different view.
Lightfoot2017
Mountain Walker

Munros:181   
Fionas:1   

Postby al78 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:25 pm

If you climb Ben Avon or Beinn a Bhuird, I assume you have to have climbed the highest tor to have bagged the summit. If you haven't been there before, is it clear which tor corresponds to the summit?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:47 pm

icemandan wrote:Any views?

Helicopter - No
E bike - ?
Pedal bike - Yes

On a side note, your Avatar says, Munro Compleatist, but the Munro count is only 281, I'm sure this is an oversight, not trying to provoke an argument.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby prog99 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:41 pm

al78 wrote:If you climb Ben Avon or Beinn a Bhuird, I assume you have to have climbed the highest tor to have bagged the summit. If you haven't been there before, is it clear which tor corresponds to the summit?

Beinn a’Bhuird is a plateau with a cairn. The tor is obvious on Ben Avon although the others are all well worth a visit.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Dave Hewitt » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:42 pm

al78 wrote:If you climb Ben Avon or Beinn a Bhuird, I assume you have to have climbed the highest tor to have bagged the summit. If you haven't been there before, is it clear which tor corresponds to the summit?

The top of Beinn a' Bhuird is just a cairn on a wide expanse of pretty flat plateau. Ben Avon summit is a tor that can be quite tricky given that granite doesn't always provide the best grip - there's a slightly awkward sideways-ish move at one point that benefits from dry conditions. I think it's reckoned to be grade I in winter.

Edit: Oh hang on - was confusing Ben Avon with Beinn Mheadhoin. (Creeping old age, sorry.) Ben Avon is a tor and can be tricky but I'm not sure of its winter grade. It's the Beinn Mheadhoin tor that has the slightly awkward sideways move and is grade I in winter. I haven't been on Ben Avon since 1983 and have forgotten the details.
Last edited by Dave Hewitt on Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby prog99 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:42 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:
icemandan wrote:Any views?

Helicopter - No
E bike - ?
Pedal bike - Yes

On a side note, your Avatar says, Munro Compleatist, but the Munro count is only 281, I'm sure this is an oversight, not trying to provoke an argument.

From memory it’s a forum bug when something broke.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:51 pm

There are no rules, nevertheless I've edited your list to what I think is okay. 8)

Helicopter - No
Funicular (Aonach Mor, Cairn Gorm) - Yes
E bike - Yes
Pedal bike - Yes
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Moriarty » Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:55 pm

Amended icemandan wrote:Any views?

Helicopter - yes
Trail bike or off road vehicle - yes
Funicular (Aonach Mor, Cairn Gorm) - yes
E bike - yes
Pedal bike - Yes

Any way you want frankly. Unless you're doing it for validation from others, then you have to do what they want.

Let's be honest, there are now over 7000 registered 1st rounds and possibly a few thousand more unregistered. It's not really an achievement of major distinction, even if it is important to individuals.

If you report doing many of them on a motorbike, or on horseback or getting a piggyback, and using funiculars/gondolas all the better, you'll certainly stand out from the crowd. ;)
Moriarty

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:44 pm

Who cares?
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:34 pm

gammy leg walker wrote:

Before the changes/updates (whatever they call them) in the 90s there were only 277 munros for sometime. The SMC are apparently in charge of "the list". I believe, according to the SMC, you could be a Munro compleatist and have climbed less than 282 munros, as long as the extra ones were not munros at the time you finished them.

Now that's fairly simple isn't it??? :D

....... and also it doesn't apply to the case you are referring to after looking at the one that is left. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Moriarty wrote:
Let's be honest, there are now over 7000 registered 1st rounds and possibly a few thousand more unregistered. It's not really an achievement of major distinction, even if it is important to individuals.

I used to think this also and posted something similar on WH or possibly elsewhere. There are people who study the lists and statistics and the view seems to be that the vast majority of folk who finish the munros have put their name on the official list. I'm pretty sure the number that have done all munros but are not on the list was thought to be 10% at a very high estimate. If correct that would be a few hundred..... but I guess no-one can know for sure.

I always wonder how many are on the list who haven't been to every summit! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Sunset tripper

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:13 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:I always wonder how many are on the list who haven't been to every summit! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll bet it's quite a few. My Munro count has gone down this year because I became convinced after reading other forumers' reports that I'd not been to the true summit of Ben Vorlich, only the trig point summit. On other occasions, I've reached what I thought was the summit in such poor conditions, I could hardly tell up from down or left from right, let alone identify the summit cairn. Sometimes I can only infer I've reached the summit because I'd walked the length of a ridge, despite never actually seeing a summit cairn.
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion