walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Reduced mobility access

Reduced mobility access

Postby boenali85 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:45 pm

Hi, my Dad turns 80 in January. He used to be a keen hill walker but now has mobility issues and is no longer able to walk far. However difficult it might be, I would love to get him into the hills one more time - can anyone recommend any hills with awesome views which I could drive him most of the way up? Thanks for any suggestions!
boenali85
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:6

Re: Reduced mobility access

Postby prog99 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:05 pm

Bealach na ba, great views and he won’t have to travel far at all out the car.
Also would he manage the Glencoe ski centre lift? The staff are used to dealing with all sorts.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby boenali85 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:34 pm

prog99 wrote:Bealach na ba, great views and he won’t have to travel far at all out the car.
Also would he manage the Glencoe ski centre lift? The staff are used to dealing with all sorts.

Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely look into both of these 🙂👍
boenali85
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:6

Postby Dave Hewitt » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:02 pm

boenali85 wrote:Thank you for your suggestion, I will definitely look into both of these 🙂👍

The Highland Safari outings mentioned on p3 of the "claim the Munro" thread here might also be a good option for your father.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby simon-b » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:52 pm

If it's feasible to get down to England, Latrigg near Keswick in the Lake District has really beautiful views on a clear day. There's a high level car park nearby, and a short, limited mobility path to the top of the hill. The place can get very busy at popular times, though.

If you prefer to stay in Scotland, then I agree that Bealach na Ba has magnificent scenery at the top, with the added bonus of being a really spectacular pass to drive over.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Sgurr » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:00 am

Could he manage the chair lift at Glencoe? From memory, I think the attendant hangs onto them while you get on. Fabulous views from where they stop, though not at a summit https://www.glencoemountain.co.uk/chairlift-rides/ You could accompany him as they are double. It does advertise disabled access.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby al78 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:03 am

You can get the gondola half way up Aonach Mor and there are a couple of short paths from the top station to decent viewpoints. It is not a summit view but better than nothing.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion