walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Getting Fit

Re: Getting Fit

Postby katyhills » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:24 pm

I agree with Veryhappybunny that the only way to get hill fit is to go up hills regularly, and gradually build up the strength in the muscles by increasing the amounts and severity. I walk around 6 miles every day apart from doing any hills.
It can be difficult if you have a long break though. I'm inclined to underestimate my fitness, but I think that's better than being over confident about ability and fitness, especially as I walk alone. It's difficult if you don't have hills nearby though, and the various travel restrictions during the pandemic made that harder too.
I believe cycling is good for the thigh muscles though, and that's the ones that seem to suffer most when hill walking. Not something I do, but perhaps others can clarify that.
My problem at the moment is that I can't drive any decent distance due to a problem with some muscles in my back end. Sitting for any length of time is really difficult - even with heated seats in the car. Annoying - especially when there's days with frost and clear skies.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Stuart84 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:09 pm

Like others I walk every day. I have a boisterous German Shepherd that needs good walks so I have to get out regardless of the weather.

I also do a lot of stretching and weight lifting. Both for general fitness and because I bust my knee playing rugby and need to keep the muscles round about it strong.

Cycling is definitely a good thing to do for maintaining fitness. Builds up the quads and minimum wear on the knees. Something I should do more but not my thing.

Despite being told to stop playing rugby several years ago I still sneak in the odd game...

I think there's two sides to fitness for hillwalking; strengthening any weaknesses as even on a dry day there is uneven ground, and general cardio. The level of cardio though is entirely dependent on your ability and your ambition.
Stuart84
Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:5+4
Sub 2000:46   
Islands:10

Postby WeeHills » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:37 pm

In normal circumstances I swim two or three times a week, anything from 40 to 100 lengths depending on mood/time always multiples of 10 cause I'm weird like that (my local's a 20m pool so that's 800m to 2km). To be honest I've got out of the habit with coved though. Good for cardio if not hill fitness per se.

Running I take notions for so will go regularly for a couple of months then nor bother for a year. Also walk several times a week locally, which necessarily involves hills as I stay half way up one.

As for cycling, I do commute by bike in summer (it's too dark just now) but have an e-bike as having misplaced a chunk of quadracep many years ago one of the few things I still struggle with is cycling uphill. Even gentle inclines defeat me. Walking is generally fine, cycling forget it. So I reckon if it is quads you want to work on cycling is the best exercise going. Though given my experience perhaps they aren't the most significant factor in hill fitness. Think I've confused myself now.
WeeHills

Postby tamego » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:19 pm

I have no secrets: I regularly attend gym and do weightlifting. Although this activity hardly resembles hiking or walking, it helps me stay fit. :)
tamego
Mountain Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion