walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Earliest Time For Lairig Ghru

Earliest Time For Lairig Ghru

Postby Mountain Mike » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:09 pm

Just wondered if anyone could give me guidance as to the earliest period might be for walking the Lairig Ghru. I'd prefer not to do it in full on snow although I'm comfortable on snow on easy slopes and I certainly don't mind being able to admire snow capped summits.

Thanks for any heads ups.
Mountain Mike
Wanderer

Re: Earliest Time For Lairig Ghru

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:24 pm

It will vary from year to year: snow cover is still quite likely in April, but you would be unlucky to find much by the end of May.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby gaffr » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:47 pm

Makes a big difference if there is wind that it is behind you and also if the snow covering supports your weight etc.
A good firm snow cover will make getting through the boulder fields, at the high area, much easier. :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:45 pm

gaffr wrote:Makes a big difference if there is wind that it is behind you and also if the snow covering supports your weight etc.
A good firm snow cover will make getting through the boulder fields, at the high area, much easier. :)

Definitely. Did it once with the first snow blowing in my face, the boulder fields had a light dusting of about a half inch, just enough to hide the dangers and was very slippy. Did not enjoy that one bit.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion