walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Favourite walk of 2021? Why?

Re: Favourite walk of 2021? Why?

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:50 pm

Depressingly low hill count over last year - inversions on Grahams in late December and a Suilven camp in August are close runners up to a Quinag summit camp in late August

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:51 am

I took the kid to Glen Lyon in October, where we bellowed at the rutting stags, who obliged by bellowing back. When they got too stroppy we ran for the car, went home and had KFC. Tutoring the kid in the ways of righteousness is always rewarding.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:05 pm

If i had to pick a favourite it would be Quinag because the first time we done it we had not one view from any of the summits, this time it was done in blue skies and sunshine and 26c heat.

P1100176.JPG

P1100114.JPG
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WeeHills » Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:12 pm

2021 yielded a bumper crop of temperature inversions including the one I enjoyed heading up Stob a' Choire Odhair and Stob Ghabhar in June. That was probably my favourite 'big hills' walk of the year having never previously bothered exploring the Black Mount, more fool me, it's a lovely area.

However, if I have to pick just one my favourite walk of the year was from home back in January. Another inversion, best one over the Clyde for some years, complete with fog bows and broken spectres, when I spent about 5 hours pootling all of about 5 miles and sitting around admiring the view and blethering to random strangers and generally taking it easy.
WeeHills

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:13 pm

This gloomy day on uninspiring Ben Chonzie.
20210904_100121.jpg

Why.......... it was my first Scottish walk in 2 years due to the situation we all found ourselves in :shock:
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:02 pm

This is a tricky one especially as the first 3 months were spent stuck in Fife climbing over barbed wire fences and battling with gorse in Fife - tackling the 100+ Tumps.
We had our scariest day on the hills here - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104780
For fun and enjoyment Ben Alder & Beinn Bheoil.
2021 turned out to be my most productive year (hill wise) and I hope 2022 will be even better. The plan is to get Parminder compleated & me to finish my 2nd round, we have less than 30 hills so shouldn't be a problem.
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:58 pm

Not a very productive year for me in terms of new ticks, but some very enjoyable walks all the same. Difficult to single out one in particular, but four stand out as memorable for different reasons.

1. Cross Fell, 12th Feb.
From Kirkland via Wythwaite and the Blencarn track, down the standard Kirkland track. Good snow cover above about 650m, Arctic conditions on the plateau. Kirkland is only 4 miles from where I live, so very much a local walk; I felt a huge sense of gratitude at having such a wild environment on my doorstep.
P1020558.JPG

2. Galloway Hills, 17th June.
Merrick, Mullwharchar, Dungeon Hill, Craignaw.
Fine summer weather for a round that felt tougher than its modest distance would suggest - mostly pathless from Merrick to Loch Neldricken and even the "path" down from there is very rough going. Very satisfying, though, and a superbly wild environment of ice-scoured granite.
P1020825.JPG
Loch Neldricken and Merrick

3. Liathach, 11th July.
Second traverse of this magnificent mountain. First time was as a 20 year-old on a hot, sunny day in June 1983. This time was not as sunny but still very warm. Wasn't quite as I seemed to remember it. Not wanting to miss any of the excitement we scrambled over the first pinnacle, only to realize the path by-passes it. A nice, sustained but easy scramble up to the highest top of Am Fasarinen and just walking thereafter. Definitely easier than Aonach Eagach, but I've only done the latter in winter, so maybe not a fair comparison. Would love to do a third traverse (of Liathach) in good winter conditions.
P1020880.JPG
Am Fasarinen

4. Mullach na Dheiragain and Sgurr nan Ceathreamhnan, 8th September.
Starting and finishing with a pleasant 5 mile cycle ride up & down Glen Elchaig. Two new Munro ticks. Felt like a grand adventure into a remote and beautiful part of the Highlands. Weather was very warm and the atmosphere rather hazy, so not ideal for decent photos, unfortunately. Heroic effort on the part of Karl, who was recovering from a nasty cold / chest infection. Took us a while to get round, but that made the experience all the more immersive. Icing on the cake was the descent beside the Falls of Glomach, which were a revelation.
P1030049 (1).JPG
Falls of Glomach
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Postby denfinella » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:18 am

Favourite walk - surprisingly, Scald Law and the Kips in the Pentland Hills, having walked from the Edinburgh side during the January lockdown. Perfect Alpine conditions - sunny with fresh snow, and fairly quiet. Felt a real treat to be able to experience that so close to home.

Least favourite walk - Ord Ban near Aviemore in July, after which I had to remove well over 100 ticks from my body afterwards, despite it only being a 2 mile walk on a fairly clear path :shock:

On the plus side, I guess you could say I had a good year for ticks...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby steveo73 » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:38 am

Done a few big mountains last year but my highlight would be my first right wild camp at Loch Enoch. It was the end of may and the first right hot spell of the year.
Headed out from Bruce's Stone car park and up Loch Valley. Was planning on heading up Craignaw but under estimated how hot it was and had made the beginner mistake of carry way to much weight in my backpack :lol: and the ground was also hard going.
Decided to scratch that idea and just headed up the valley next to Craignaw and up to Loch Enoch. When I got the tent set up I had a dip in the Loch to cool down and chilled for a few hours.
After having dinner and a beer I felt rejuvenated so set of up Craignariny and then over to Dungeon Hill for sunset witch was spectacular :D. Then back to the tent for a glass of vino before turning in for the night.
The next day I headed over and checked out a old aircraft crash site and visited the grey man of the Merrick then back down the rig of Loch Enoch and Buchan Hill to finish off.
Weather was amazing no midges and the braken and ferns was only just starting to sprout. Perfect 24 hours apart from the first 3 when I felt like dying :lol:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c0ZngGpcEr1rL6X0T1Pt36r81OLOl1Wv/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c-z1FKrclP8Y5wGnttI3s4Q3P80cdRhj/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c2SnKCbRSqoURPPzNgKGmrot6Ks_nmJl/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c3Ojp0n1NYzIM_8J3dHw1ePPxW7HAm5D/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c5e5R0cIxPvtJrNLSXWuBnXvtyk0hndU/view?usp=drivesdk
steveo73
Mountain Walker

Munros:20   Corbetts:17
Fionas:18   Donalds:71+44
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jmarkb » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Standouts for me:

Ring of Steall at the start of May - first big hill day after lockdown,

an unexpectedly perfect autumn day on Beinn Alligin,

and Beinn Tulaichean and Cruach Ardrain during the Great December Inversion.

jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby katyhills » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:07 pm

Some stunning photos - thoroughly enjoyed them, especially jmarkb's :D
I'm not sure Ben Chonzie is improved with good weather, but yes - when it's the first outing after such a long time, it doesn't matter!
I didn't do many hills last year either - had to stop due to an annoying thigh problem, but despite doing some new Munros, my favourite walk was a return to the lovely Wee Bookil after a very long time. It was quite busy, which I don't like, but you can't blame people for wanting to get out when weather was so good!

Like jmarkb's inversion photo, there was some great photo opportunities
DSCF8730.JPG
Attachments
DSCF8732.JPG
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Backpacker » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:45 pm

Torn between Blaven as it was my final Munro and Quinag, just a perfect day on the hills
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby Tringa » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:09 pm

A walk in July in the Gairloch cnoc and lochan.

Between Loch Gairloch and Loch Maree is about 30 sq km of cnoc and lochan.

Apart from in Flowerdale and from Tollie to Slatterdale there are few paths. None of the tops are high; at 420m Meall an Dorien is the highest, but it is a fascinating area.

Although some of the going was a bit tough I had a great day just wandering about here.

As I passed by this loch

loch.jpg

- Loch an Aird Sheilg my day was made by the call of a red throated diver echoing around -

https://youtu.be/Vn2hvgUwYAk?t=19

Dave
Tringa

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion