walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glencoe weather

Glencoe weather

Postby RobJones1968 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:39 pm

Hello all,
Can anyone advise me as to what time of year tends to have the driest weather in Glencoe? I realise the weather can be changeable at any time of year, but I want to do the Aonach Eagach ridge in spring or summer,and it sounds like one for a dry day. I'm thinking some time from May to August. Thanks for any advice.
RobJones1968
Munro compleatist

Re: Glencoe weather

Postby davekeiller » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:16 pm

As a general rule, May and September tend to be about the driest months.
However, you do need to consider snow in May. Depending on the winter we have, there can still be snow on the tops and ridges well into May. That seems unlikely this year, but let's see what February brings.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:52 pm

The differences are not that big, and you can be lucky or unlucky at any time of year, but July and August have somewhat lower chances of dry days than rest of the spring/summer: https://www.weather-atlas.com/en/united-kingdom/fort-william-climate#rainfall_days
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby al78 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:49 pm

jmarkb wrote:The differences are not that big, and you can be lucky or unlucky at any time of year, but July and August have somewhat lower chances of dry days than rest of the spring/summer: https://www.weather-atlas.com/en/united-kingdom/fort-william-climate#rainfall_days

That link does not say what climatology period is used (standard is 30 years, used to be 1981-2010 but has since changed to 1991-2020), which can make a significant difference. I have always understood May as being the driest and suniest month climatologically in the Scottish highlands on average, but that link for Fort William claims April is the driest month climatologically by a long way. I could believe that if it is using only the last few years as climatology, since April 2020 and April 2021 were both extremely dry across the UK.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:41 am

RobJones1968 wrote:Hello all, Can anyone advise me as to what time of year tends to have the driest weather in Glencoe? I realise the weather can be changeable at any time of year, but I want to do the Aonach Eagach ridge in spring or summer,and it sounds like one for a dry day. I'm thinking some time from May to August. Thanks for any advice.

The phrase we're looking for here is "least wet" rather than "driest" :shock: April often still has full-on winter conditions, whereas May is often warm, sunny and has less precipitation. Also you may be early enough in the season to avoid the midgies. September is often nice but has midgies and maybe still lots of tourists. Basically it is impossible for anyone to say what the weather might be like in Glen Coe. Probably raining. Yesterday I was there and it was mild, almost warm, with no need for a coat on while I took some photos. The day before I was at Loch Lomond and it was bitterly cold with sleet howling down the wind towards me. Welcome to Scotland.

DSCF2230#pr.jpg
Glen Coe, 14th Jan 2022, mild and damp.

DSCF2222#r.jpg
Loch Arklet looking towards Loch Lomond 13th Jan 2022, cold with wind and sleet.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby RobJones1968 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:43 pm

Hi everyone, thanks very much for your replies. Late May's looking like the best bet. I'd also seen something online that showed May as having the least precipitation on average.
RobJones1968
Munro compleatist

Postby denfinella » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:40 pm

I would agree that (late) May is best. April can still be snowy and it gradually gets wetter and midgier from June onwards, though June itself is usually quite decent too.

September is overrated in my opinion.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion