walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

5-6 days hike around Loch Monar in May 2022

Re: 5-6 days hike around Loch Monar in May 2022

Postby LtDan » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:23 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:
LtDan wrote:If the weather is bad or you don’t feel up to climbing Bidean CS with big packs, an alternative is ...

Servus Tim,

thank you very much for your input ... seems there is a bit misunderstanding .. we're not going to climb Bidean CS at the end of the day but in the morning .. All alternatives calculate with this and we try to take in the account an elevation profile .. Please look on image

* C1 is supposed to be a first camp at the end of day #1
* C3 is supposed to be second camp at the end of day #2 .. B-D is 14km with elevation profile +/- 1500m (there's a bug in gpx.studio so the actually the elevation profile calculation is not accurate and we count with 150% ..)
* C4 is camp at the end of day #3
* C5 is camp at the end of day #4 - we'll do here a short side-trek to Fall of Glomach from C4
* in the day #5 the camp will be around somewhere between points J and K
* finally day #6 will be return back to the L

as I've noted earlier, we have multiple escape routes (and plans B and C) in case the trail won't go as good as we expect and we'll spend in Scotland 9 nights in total so there's one night in reserve assuming that we'll mandatory spend after arrival and before departure in Inverness

cheers, ~dan
LtDan
Backpacker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:39 pm

This might be some help to you of my two walks

Another option would be to start at Cluanie Inn and walk into Alltbeithe Hostel and then start your walk.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15637

Or Attadale to Struy

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17750
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby LtDan » Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:42 pm

Hello,

I have one additional thing to consult - actually the key thing that can completely spoil the hike .. The Menace from Highlands - Midges !!

We plan the hike at the beginning of May perhaps we can even do a bit more earlier in the end of April .. We'd like to have completely midges-free hike, what you think please - is that realistic ? If I look on our hike there are certainly sections above 1500ft where will be wind and likely no midges (unless they mutated from last time and now love the strong winds and higher altitude) ... but the midsection is more or less in valleys around some water same as approach and return part ..

cheers, ~dan
LtDan
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:38 pm

My experience is that midges are not at nuisance levels until well into June. July and August are the worst months. April and May should be no problem. You can never guarentee midge free conditions unless you hike in winter conditions, but you don't need it midge free, you can make do with midge levels low enough to be a minimal nuisance.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby LtDan » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:30 pm

Hello people ...

another problem that I've probably underrated before - what about crossing the water in the beginning of May - there are a lot of small rivers and streams and midsection of our trail is in the valley that could be damp&swamp in this time of the year .. After thorough study of entire route it's obvious that we'll enjoy a lot of wet river crossing .. Do you please see there any specifically tough sections ??

I don't know how big (wide and strong) could streams be in the May on our trail ..

thanks and regards, ~dan

ps. we're already putting gear together .. I don't want to make here a long story but it will be hard to make it so that everybody will have 20kg (45lbs) backpacks - so 20kg is really our upper bound for gear weight per person (we'll be 3 - full gear for three people for 6 days + we're photographers so everybody has something like 5-7kg of photography gear)
LtDan
Backpacker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion