walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cape Wrath trail alternative route?

Cape Wrath trail alternative route?

Postby al78 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 pm

The route of the Cape Wrath trail beyond the Falls of Glomach that I have seen goes NE up glen Elchaig to Iron Lodge and follows a marked path (on the OS map) to the Maol Bhuidhe bothy, from where the route goes past loch Calavie and turns NE over the Bealach Bhearnais eventually reaching the main road near Craig. Would it be a reasonable alternative after the falls to go along glen Elchaig in the opposite direction towards Killilan, then turn north at Nonach Lodge and follow glen Ling, then follow a marked path up past Carn Allt na Bradh which eventually meets a track coming from Attadale. You could then turn ENE along this track to Bendronaig Lodge then picking up the standard route? Admittedly it is difficult to know what these black dashed line marked paths are like on the ground, some of them can be very tenuous and/or hideous underfoot, but was wondering if anyone on here had ever walked that way.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: Cape Wrath trail alternative route?

Postby prog99 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:47 pm

The aerial photography suggests its a work of fiction after the bridge on NG946329 (its there but extremely faint)
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Sunset tripper » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:12 pm

The track from Attadale to Bendronaig is very good. On that track there is (or at least was) a signpost for Killilan and the stalkers path you mention. I have only been on part of it but it seemed a typical stalkers path.

I think the advantage of the other route is that many Cape Wrathers use the bothy and probably a bit easier also.

There are loads of variations you could make on the trail from Fort William to Cape Wrath or vice versa - each to their own. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:09 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:The track from Attadale to Bendronaig is very good. On that track there is (or at least was) a signpost for Killilan and the stalkers path you mention. I have only been on part of it but it seemed a typical stalkers path.

I think the advantage of the other route is that many Cape Wrathers use the bothy and probably a bit easier also.

There are loads of variations you could make on the trail from Fort William to Cape Wrath or vice versa - each to their own. :D

Thanks for that info. I did a section of the CWT last summer and at the time I would have liked to have gone a bit further to visit the falls of Glomach. If I did another point-to-point trek, I'm not sure whether to follow the standard CWT or try the route I mentioned here to Attadale. From there I am on the edge of Torridon, and there may be the possibility to continue north past Loch Damh and across the Flowerdale Forest, or along the coast to Lower Diabeg and onward to the bothy and Redpoint, then heading in the general direction of Gairloch.
al78
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:17 pm

For info, I find the geograph site useful when planning routes as many of the photos can give an idea of the terrain. Just type in a four figure OS grid ref in the top right search box to get started.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ahukippax » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 pm

I walked the Scottish National Trail ( which latterly follows the Cape Wrath trail ) last September and out of all the 30 days it took, I would say my favourite was the day from Morvich to the Bealach Bearnais where I camped. Admittedly, the weather was very good, but it is a wonderful rugged and remote section. There is a real feeling of openness and wilderness as you head past Iron Lodge to Maol Buidhe bothy and past Loch Calavie. There is the odd section of rough path but also some decent tracks where you can relax and take in the wonderful surroundings. I plan to return to Maol Buidhe bothy for an overnight stay.
But then again. Who knows, maybe the alternative route is equally beautiful. That is the great thing about exploring these remote areas of Scotland.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:04 am

ahukippax wrote:I walked the Scottish National Trail ( which latterly follows the Cape Wrath trail ) last September and out of all the 30 days it took, I would say my favourite was the day from Morvich to the Bealach Bearnais where I camped. Admittedly, the weather was very good, but it is a wonderful rugged and remote section. There is a real feeling of openness and wilderness as you head past Iron Lodge to Maol Buidhe bothy and past Loch Calavie. There is the odd section of rough path but also some decent tracks where you can relax and take in the wonderful surroundings. I plan to return to Maol Buidhe bothy for an overnight stay.
But then again. Who knows, maybe the alternative route is equally beautiful. That is the great thing about exploring these remote areas of Scotland.

The one thing I wondered about this route is that to get from Maol Bhuidhe bothy to the Bealach Bearnais, you have to cross the Allt an Loin fhiodha and the Allt Loch Calavie. How easy are these to cross in the absence of a very wet spell, and what is the pathless ground like between the bothy to loch Calavie? Am I correct in thinking Bendronaig lodge is also a bothy and an alternative place to stay overnight?

Not sure I would be keen camping on the Bealach Bhearnais. The col is aligned almost perfectly with the prevailing wind direction, and it looks like enhancement of wind speed from funnelling up the glen and over the saddle could potentially result in a rough night.
al78
Walker

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:27 am

al78 wrote: Am I correct in thinking Bendronaig lodge is also a bothy and an alternative place to stay overnight?

Bendronaig Bothy is next to Bendronaig Lodge. I haven't stayed there but had a look inside. It's a fine bothy with a toilet. A bit further on on the CWT (if travelling south to north) there is another bothy not far off the trail - Bearnais Bothy, which is another option.
Sunset tripper

Postby Old Stag » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:33 am

Yes you can go up Glen Ling without any problems. I've done it this way twice; taking a route from Morvich to Dornie then up Glen Ling joining the trail near Bendronaig.
The hardest part underfoot was from Bendronaig to Strathcarron. I wouldn't advise going down to Attadale and roadwalking to Strathcarron; it's a fast road with loads of blind corners. I did it that way once, never again.
Old Stag

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:07 pm

Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby ahukippax » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 pm

My recollection of both these river crossings is of them not being difficult at all, however it was after a long dry spell. I think the section from Maol Bhuidhe bothy down to the river could get wet but there was a decent track down to it. The pathless section up and over to Loch Calavie was rough in places, but I do recall picking up a 4x4 track which made the going much easier. The surroundings all round here though are wild and dramatic. There are bothy options at Bendronaig and Bearnais. I opted to press on to the pass as the weather was settled and it was a great wild camp.

I did a vlog and have given a link to it below. It will give you some idea of the terrain and surroundings you may encounter. As with all things though the weather does play an important factor. I got lucky !

ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Postby al78 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:37 am

Thanks for that video ahukippax that is very useful and informative. It shows that there exist paths and tracks that are not marked on the OS map. That gorge near the Falls of Glomach looks stunning. You managed to walk that section in good weather which helps to really appreciate the magnificent remoteness of the area. Sometimes being in a very remote spot like that with no visible sign of humanity makes me feel a little vulnerable, maybe even a little anxious. It is not a good place to break an ankle. The scenery in that video is enough to make me want to have a go at walking it, although I can imagine the enjoyment is very dependant on the weather. Driving rain and a cloud base down to 400m would not be fun I expect.
al78
Walker

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:42 am

When I crossed the river north of Maol Buidhe, it had stepping stones to ford it. If they were under water, it would be a wet encounter, but probably still OK.

The only warning I heard is not to go clockwise around Ben Dronaig. Anti-clockwise is supposed to be easier.

Bendronaig bothy is a great bothy. If you reach it by darkness, don't jump the fence. It's barbwired (or at least used to be).

Enjoy!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby ahukippax » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:06 pm

I am glad you found the video useful and you are more informed of the terrain and surroundings. As I said previously, it is a fantastic section. Maybe wait for some settled weather. Venturing into remote areas like this can seem daunting the first time you do it, but I find its the remoteness, peacefulness and solitude that makes it ever more satisfying.
ahukippax
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion