walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ground conditions thread(s)?

Ground conditions thread(s)?

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:31 pm

Before I say anything else I wanted to state that obviously, in winter, keeping an key on mountain weather and checking on SAIS for the avalanche forecast is always important. Checking forums on WH and similar sites, or checking the Fell Top Assessors if heading to the Lakes, can also be useful.

That being said, I left Facebook some years ago and one of the few things I miss is the Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas page. Yes, you can still access it without having an account but it is clunky. Also, people use the page to promote their guide/leader services etc. and the info people provide is sometimes not as clear as would be ideal - I don’t want some narrative about your day out, I just want to know where you were, when you were there, a wee, succinct blurb about the underfoot conditions and some accompanying photos.

I thought it would be handy to have a thread or group of threads on WH offering similar info but a bit better. Perhaps broken down into distinct groups similar to the Mountain weather forecast provided by the Met Office (Northwest Highlands; North Grampian; South Grampian and Southeast Highlands; Southwest Highlands; Lake District; Snowdonia etc.).

Anyway, I just thought it was worth seeing whether others would find that useful and my apologies if this has come up previously.

Ta
SMR
SMRussell

Munros:184   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:34
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:122
Wainwrights:103   Islands:11

Re: Ground conditions thread(s)?

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:40 pm

I think that's a good idea. There's usually someone from here out and about somewhere most days, it would be handy to know even if it's frosty or damp and mild. Lashing rain with floods or snow up to your bum. Photos would help too.
**N.B. These are old potos and do not portray current conditions.**

Gritter Glen Coe.jpg
Gritter on the A82 Rannoch Moor to Glen Coe

waterspout off Shetland.jpg
Waterspout off Shetland

Sea storm off Denmark#r.jpg
Sea storm off Denmark

weird clouds off Norway#r.jpg
Weird clouds off Norway

Egypt tank#r.jpg
Sunny with a chance of heavy shellfire. I hate it when they point their tanks at me.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:54 pm

I did try this a few winters ago - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77049
There weren't nearly enough contributions to make it useful, but it might be worth another try.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Skyelines » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:31 pm

With all the information and pictures on the web and social media it almost makes going out and doing it redundant.

What happened with just having a route marked out on a map and using ones skill and judgement to deal with whatever conditions and situations one encounters on the journey?

Having no forknowledge of what is going to be encoutered adds to the whole sense of adventure.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:37 pm

With conditions changing constantly, I don't think ground condition groups are particularly useful, some of the advice given to novices on FB was usually suspect, blind leading the blind. That said the advice on here would probably more reliable than what's offered on FB.

Anyways all the tools are there to enable folk to make a decision on what to expect on the hills. A pinned post with useful links would be more useful imho:

SAIS
MWIS
Traffic Scotland
Webcams.

Then folk could still ask if unsure. 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:20 pm

Skyelines wrote:With all the information and pictures on the web and social media it almost makes going out and doing it redundant.

What happened with just having a route marked out on a map and using ones skill and judgement to deal with whatever conditions and situations one encounters on the journey?

Having no forknowledge of what is going to be encoutered adds to the whole sense of adventure.

Thanks. I am sure every person on this site would broadly agree with your sentiments. However, sometimes, esp. if walking with a club and safety beyond your own self is important, ensuring you are well informed and can amend plans can be very useful. Fell Top Assessors has been a great resource for folks heading to the Lakes.

Cheers.
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:25 pm

jmarkb wrote:I did try this a few winters ago - https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77049
There weren't nearly enough contributions to make it useful, but it might be worth another try.

Thanks jmarkb - seems I am not the only person that thought this might a handy thing to have during the winter months. It is like when you chat to fellow walkers at the pub in winter - they've just been up the hill you're thinking of doing tomorrow and so inevitably you'll ask about the snow/ground conditions.

Would be nice to have something specific/official. Individual threads can so easily be hijacked by people who can't help put spout off and can lose the erm, thread!
SMRussell

Postby SMRussell » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:30 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:With conditions changing constantly, I don't think ground condition groups are particularly useful, some of the advice given to novices on FB was usually suspect, blind leading the blind. That said the advice on here would probably more reliable than what's offered on FB.

Anyways all the tools are there to enable folk to make a decision on what to expect on the hills. A pinned post with useful links would be more useful imho:

SAIS
MWIS
Traffic Scotland
Webcams.

Then folk could still ask if unsure. 8)

I agree re the issues on FB pages. And yes, making sure anyone having a look on the thread are alerted to the usual sources, that I am sure the majority of people on here are already aware of, would be handy. :thumbup:
SMRussell

Postby gman » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:18 pm

Might not be useful to everyone here, the UKC winter conditions page has info on recent climbs.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/conditions/uk_winter/

I think the various Facebook groups are handy for conditions, guides tend to be out regularly and post pics & reports of popular routes.
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:31 pm

I have posted these links before, but worth reminding.
Live Glenshee webcam:
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/glenshee
Live Lecht webcam:
http://m.webcam-hd.com/ski-scotland/the-lecht
Winterhighland page (links to webcams at the very top)
http://www.winterhighland.info/
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:35 am

SMRussell wrote:Before I say anything else I wanted to state that obviously, in winter, keeping an key on mountain weather and checking on SAIS for the avalanche forecast is always important. Checking forums on WH and similar sites, or checking the Fell Top Assessors if heading to the Lakes, can also be useful.

That being said, I left Facebook some years ago and one of the few things I miss is the Ground Conditions in UK Mountain Areas page. Yes, you can still access it without having an account but it is clunky. Also, people use the page to promote their guide/leader services etc. and the info people provide is sometimes not as clear as would be ideal - I don’t want some narrative about your day out, I just want to know where you were, when you were there, a wee, succinct blurb about the underfoot conditions and some accompanying photos.

I thought it would be handy to have a thread or group of threads on WH offering similar info but a bit better. Perhaps broken down into distinct groups similar to the Mountain weather forecast provided by the Met Office (Northwest Highlands; North Grampian; South Grampian and Southeast Highlands; Southwest Highlands; Lake District; Snowdonia etc.).

Anyway, I just thought it was worth seeing whether others would find that useful and my apologies if this has come up previously.

Ta
SMR

Seems a good idea to me. If you want a sense of adventure, then don’t look at the thread.

For anyone venturing out in the southern Highlands today or at the weekend - I was on Stuc a’Chroin (Callander route) yesterday. Practically no snow! - but ground frozen higher up. Biggest risk would be slipping on an icy puddle.

There was a bit more on Stob Binnein and Ben More east faces, but appeared to be nearly nothing elsewhere, even Ben Lawers (south side).

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby calicoshmalico » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:47 pm

Sometimes I find it hard to decide on what boots to wear at this time of year. Example. Last week I was on the Eastern Drumochter plateau where four days before had been a deep covering of snow, so do I go for full winter boot or my normal boot. I opted for the normal boot (Scarp Ranger) and low and behold there is hardly any snow left due to the rising temperature and rain on previous day's.
So generally I'm looking at other walk reports on or nearby for up to date on the ground conditions, as well as mountain weather forecasts, temp, wind, freezing level etc.
In a way I kind of enjoy the increased effort of information gathering so I know exactly what's happening with the weather and when it's going to happen. Sometimes in winter though with our up and down weather patterns, as with the boot dilemma, chips or tatties :crazy:
calicoshmalico
Mountain Walker

Munros:128   Corbetts:18
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   Islands:6

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:32 pm

And while we are thinking of new threads, I think Caberfeidh should be given his own thread.

"Sunny with a chance of heavy shellfire" is rather wonderful, as is the recent photo of essential camping rations - Unicorn Meat.

My favourite Caberfeidh quote though, has to be when someone suggested using rubble bags over your boots for stream crossings. His response was something like "Yes, but each bag holds a lot of rubble. The weight really slows down your walk."

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion