walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Rock Fall

Rock Fall

Postby kilima36 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:09 pm

I was descending Stucd an Lochain early this afternoon when I heard a loud thundering rumbling noise. Initially I couldn't work out what was causing it until I looked back and saw a number of large boulders falling down from the cliff edge.

Quickly trying to work out if someone I had passed going up might be involved I realised that they wouldn't be anywhere near - thankfully.

A salutary lesson for me that I need to be aware of this potential when walking below cliff faces.
kilima36
Walker

Re: Rock Fall

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:50 am

In many places, if you stay long enough you will hear the rumble and knock of rocks falling. The Cairngorms seem particularly restless. Vegging outside Corrour Bothy on a sunny day I could hear boulders coming down the Devil's Point, and going through the Lairig Ghru I could not help but notice a lot of rocks lying on top of the snow... Best get a helmet. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:46 am

The Earth is restless and constantly changing over geological timescales. Mountains formed by tectonic activity are eroded down by wind, rain and freeze-thaw. Rockfall is this process in action.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby kilima36 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:26 am

Thanks for your replies. I've been climbing Munros regularly since August and that was my 1st experience of rockfall so has just made me more aware.

I'm really grateful for all the different experiences climbing Munros brings and not least seeing different parts of Scotland that previously I was unaware of.
kilima36
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion