walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

New Highway Code rules and mountain areas

Re: New Highway Code rules and mountain areas

Postby al78 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:17 pm

Looks like a few people haven't yet heard of the highway code amemdments.

I was cycling from my house to the railway station in my neighbouring town which involves a short cycle along a town centre bypass, a dual carriageway with a 30 mph limit. I had a couple of drivers overtake no more and probably a bit less than an arms length away despite having a whole lane of space to my right. This is why cyclists are advised to take the lane, to force drivers to overtake properly as they would another motor vehicle.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:06 pm

What Highway Code amendments? I have to ride the horse down Mugdock Rd. to get from my yard to the park, and plenty of people are still driving like fannies. Had someone right on my tail today, who then revved hard and slung 'round me to get to her junction five seconds faster than she would have otherwise. Luckily, my horse is as resigned to it as I am. "I guess they haven't read the new Highway Code Amendments, Foinavon."

"Aye," he says.

I try to pull out of the way if the road is narrow (like the bit between the mansions and Easterton), and if I can, because horses aren't greatly keen on vehicles stalking them, but sometimes there's no place to go.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby simon-b » Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:37 am

al78 wrote:
simon-b wrote:However, I have been stuck behind cyclists in Scotland who don't pull over at passing places, and in England been in a queue of traffic stuck behind a group continuing to ride two abreast despite the tailback they were creating.

It could equally be argued the cyclists were not creating the tailback, the convoy of vehicles coming the other way was preventing overtaking and causing the tailback, and the convoy of vehicles behind were contributing to the tailback.

Cycling two abreast may have been the best decision. If they had singled out, motorists likely would have tried to squeeze past, putting the cyclists in danger. When it comes to overtaking which puts all the risk on the cyclist, the cyclist has every right to discourage it until they deem it safe for them. This is necessary until motorists are all able to judge 100% of the time when it is safe to overtake a vulnerable road user.

My safety trumps your convenience.

Absolutely safety comes first, Al. On the other hand, delaying traffic isn't only about convenience or otherwise, plenty of Scottish information about not impeding traffic explains why. England and Wales could learn from that. In the situation I mentioned, there was not a lot of traffic coming the other way and the cyclists could have safely moved into single file.

However, I do know what it's like to have a vehicle overtaking too close for comfort. I have cycled and often had vehicles overtaking alarmingly close, including on dual carriageways where there was plenty of space to pull out further. Plus safer roads and better tracks for cyclists could keep them of pavements which is becoming an increasing problem in urban areas for pedestrians. Whereas on a shared route like a bridleway, people on foot should try not to impede cyclists.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion