walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Chatelherault Country Park bans overnight camping

Chatelherault Country Park bans overnight camping

Postby cruachan06 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:15 pm

I can't say exactly when this sign went up, it wasn't there in August but is there now (I've spent 5 months recovering from Plantar Fasciitis so haven't been out). There's now a sign on the gate just before the hunting lodge prohibiting overnight camping in the park, presumably there has been incidents of antisocial behaviour and/or littering given the park's proximity to Hamilton and Larkhall.

The car park that the sign is in was also well used by campervans as an overnight stop, presumably that is no longer allowed either.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Re: Chatelherault Country Park bans overnight camping

Postby cruachan06 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:55 pm

Remembered to snap a pic today when I was out!
Attachments
IMG_20220203_150221.jpg
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Re: Chatelherault Country Park bans overnight camping

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:05 am

A colleague with a van from England was telling me last week there are FB groups sharing such places as these - and her and boyfriend discovered the power of social media when they arrived at a 'secret spot' to find 11 vans lined up and all but party happening. This was somewhere Hamilton area, so may have been Chatelherault.

I think the #vanlife thing is just putting so many people on the road who expect a free parking place for the night...and that every parking up spot has the perfect mountain view for the #insta post in the morning.
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:28

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion