walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking long distance routes with Hypothyroid?

Walking long distance routes with Hypothyroid?

Postby IslaGoldsmith » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:18 pm

Hello, I wondered if anyone here has tackled a long distance route with Hypothyroid? If so do you have any experiences, hints or tips to share?

I am planning to walk the West Highland Way this year. I take 150ug of levothyroixine daily, and feel better than I have done since I was diagnosed 2 years ago.

Thanks!
IslaGoldsmith
Walker

Re: Walking long distance routes with Hypothyroid?

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:20 pm

I can't see why it would be a problem. Obviously, if you're wild camping (no need on WHW) then you shouldn't use iodine for water purification.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby cruachan06 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:46 pm

Haven't yet but will be this year (hopefully). I was hyper and had radioactive iodine therapy to make me hypo (as it's considered easier to medically manage longterm). I was on 150mcg as well for years, recently down to 125.

Done plenty of 10K runs over the years and did some long day hikes last year with no adverse effects.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Chris from Bingley » Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:50 pm

Should be fine - if your dose of thyroxine is correct and bloods in the normal range you aren’t really hypothyroid anymore!
The medicine you are taking is exactly the same chemical as thyroxine that should be being made by your thyroid.
So….check your levels ok and celebrate having perhaps the most treatable serious condition known to medicine and enjoy the route.
The tablets are even super light - another bonus!!
I’m not making light of the condition, but once you are on the right treatment you are really back to normal!
Chris from Bingley

Postby Bonzo » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:15 pm

I was diagnosed as hyperthyroid last year after experiencing shaking limbs, palpitations, sweating and weight loss. I started taking Carbimazole and am now hypothyroid so I assume that the GP and consultant are trying to get the medication levels right over time.

The weight loss started after a week long walking holiday in the Lakes during the hottest week of last year so I didn't know what the hell was going on. Whilst walking during the week the palpitations were really noticeable so I wondered if something more serious was amiss. At the time I had no idea I was suffering from Hyperthyroidism.

No one has told me that I need to change my walking activities so assume that I'm free to carry on as normal.
Bonzo
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:96
Wainwrights:147   

Postby IslaGoldsmith » Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:43 am

:) Thanks for your replies, I feel reassured and ready for the off!
IslaGoldsmith
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion