walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Planning a long distance walk in Scotland (Cairngorms)

Planning a long distance walk in Scotland (Cairngorms)

Postby westonfront » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:54 pm

When walking in England & Wales we have rights of way (footpaths, bridlepaths etc) nicely shown on OS maps to enable walk planning with ease for a multi-day route. It does not need to follow an established LDP, we can plan our own adventures with ease.

Not so with Scotland. I lived there 1992-1996 and was really grateful for the Munro Guide which showed the 'paths on the ground' many of which are simply not recorded on OS Maps. Open Source Mapping (as used on Plot-a-Route) shows some of these 'paths on the ground' but does it show all of them? I was greatly inspired looking at the photographs posted on another forum https://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=42901.0 of a 7 day walk through the Cairngorms, but from his summary alone it was not clear what would make a good route to follow. It's true that I can read the contours, but following a well trodden path is always quicker and is likely to lead to gates and stiles rather than ad hoc fence crossings.

Any advice folks? Am I as well using my Munro Guide to plan parts of the route and then try to link these together by eye. I cannot help but think that there must be a better way.
westonfront
Mountain Walker

Re: Planning a long distance walk in Scotland (Cairngorms)

Postby prog99 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:15 pm

I think you are over thinking things. If you really want to go looking for paths that might not be mapped then try google earth.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby BigTed » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:28 pm

+1 for no need to worry. Any obvious lines will either follow glens with tracks and paths or higher up be over terrain it is easy to walk anywhere.

The direct line across the plateaux from Corrour bothy to Glen Feshie for example is trackless the first 2/3rs but the underfott condiddtions are such you walk anywhere you want.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby LobeyD » Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:57 pm

Slightly left-field option but I use Strava which has recently starting showing heatmaps on activity mapping (you don't need to be logging). This shows you where previous folk have walked when recording and gives a good idea of best (thickest heat line) path and possible paths (a bit fainter). The web app also gives access to the heatmap for pre-planning.

It was already my go to for a quick GPS fix as the in-built map is a very simple contour version. Not great on its own but in conjunction with a paper map for a location/direction sense check it is useful.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Girl Outdoors » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:32 pm

This is a subject that has been on my mind recently having moved up here from down south. I'm OK on the higher elevations like mentioned here, in fact quite good at navigating my way. However, its the paths at lower elevations that confuse me (sometimes)

Since I've offered to write a piece for a local walking groups newletter in the south some questions come to mind.

1. Why are paths often not depicted on OS maps in Scotland? Whats the history behind this?

2. I understand that there are some maps of local paths but am unclear where these are held. Local authority?

3. Any other sources of local paths info?
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:21 pm

Girl Outdoors wrote:1. Why are paths often not depicted on OS maps in Scotland? Whats the history behind this?

I'm not an expert, but Rights of Way, although they exist in Scotland, are much less numerous than in England and Wales, and there is no definitive map/list - see https://www.scotways.com/faq/rights-of-way-law for more details.

Girl Outdoors wrote:2. I understand that there are some maps of local paths but am unclear where these are held. Local authority?

Core paths are required to be documented by local authorities. There is a map here and links to all the local authority pages: https://www.nature.scot/enjoying-outdoors/routes-explore/local-path-networks

Girl Outdoors wrote:3. Any other sources of local paths info?

This is an ongoing project from Ramblers Scotland, but coverage is looking quite good: https://www.ramblers.org.uk/mappingscotlandspaths
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:08 pm

My understanding is that in England and Wales the OS were legally obliged to map and display RoW by parliament, but not so in Scotland.

I dont know the reasons or politics behind the difference. It could be fascinating.

Consequently we have the dichotomy that on a practical basis in Scotland access to the uplands is easier to take than the lowland and agricultural areas, and the opposite is true in England and Wales.
Scraggygoat

Postby Stevekerr188 » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:36 pm

westonfront.
That was myself on the other forum. I only really posted for the photos and did a brief description. I have now done a trip report. I posted an answer to your PM, hope you got it. If you didn't, click the link and you will see the map.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110584
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Girl Outdoors » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:29 pm

@jmarkb
@ Scraggygoat

Thank you, I'll take a look at those :)
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Postby denfinella » Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Girl Outdoors wrote:1. Why are paths often not depicted on OS maps in Scotland? Whats the history behind this?

I think it's important to distinguish between "rights of way" and "paths that are clear on the ground". Take 1:25000 O.S. maps for example. In England, all of the rights of way (public footpaths / bridleways) are marked in green. However, whether the path is actually clear on the ground is often - but not reliably - marked by a thinner black dotted line. This often takes the same line as the right of way (so can be difficult to see underneath the green), but sometimes they diverge, including where the "desire line" is slightly different to the official right of way route.

In Scotland, only the "paths that are clear on the ground" are represented, again with thin black dotted lines. "Rights of way" aren't shown - others have speculated why this might be the case - but they are often less useful because of less restrictive Scottish access laws.

Coming back to the paths on the ground - in both England and Scotland, I find that only the clearest / most popular paths tend to be depicted (with the thin black dotted lines). Given that the mountainous parts of Scotland are proportionally much less popular for walking than the equivalent spots in England, it stands to reason that there will be fewer paths depicted. There are just far fewer paths.

Girl Outdoors wrote:2. I understand that there are some maps of local paths but am unclear where these are held. Local authority?
3. Any other sources of local paths info?

Googling "[insert council area] core paths", or "walks around [insert town]" sometimes returns some useful results. Also, sites like Walkhighlands (and several other walking blogs / websites) - someone on here will probably have walked most of the routes you might be considering, and may well have written a walk report on it.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby AyrshireAlps » Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:29 pm

There's a really good wee utility called wheres the path, has side by side satellite and OS, cursor matched on either side so you can see if paths exist in reality.

Have a wee look at the Rigby round for a route idea, 18 munros of the main cairngorm plateau and the great moss also heads out to take in beinn a bhuird and Ben Avon.

We had a plan to do it over 4 days last year, but got blown off macdui so missed the summits West of the lairig ghru.

That was June, and it was bloody cold!.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:37 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:There's a really good wee utility called wheres the path, has side by side satellite and OS, cursor matched on either side so you can see if paths exist in reality.

Have a wee look at the Rigby round for a route idea, 18 munros of the main cairngorm plateau and the great moss also heads out to take in beinn a bhuird and Ben Avon.

We had a plan to do it over 4 days last year, but got blown off macdui so missed the summits West of the lairig ghru.

That was June, and it was bloody cold!.

Yes, I visited the summit of Ben Macdui in June a few years ago and it felt like an average January day in lowland England, enhanced by a fresh wind. It is a sub-arctic climate at that altitude so not surprising.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Essan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:50 am

Scotways are currently in the process of getting all rights of way in Scotland checked out by their members prior to publicaton of a new issue of Scotttish Hill Tracks

Known amendments to the previous issue are listed here:

https://www.scotways.com/scottish-hill-tracks-updates

(although not sure quite how up to date that is since it mentions the Carnach bridge being down and due for replacement!)
Essan

Munros:98   Corbetts:52
Fionas:7   Donalds:2+0
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:88
Wainwrights:24   Islands:5

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion