walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Munro tops

Munro tops

Postby Verylatestarter » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:22 pm

I think the addition of Tops to the website is great but can anyone explain why the Bhastier Tooth is a Munro Top of Am Bastier whereas Sgurr Dearg is not a Top of the Inaccessible Pinnacle. Maybe I'm missing something obvious!

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Re: Munro tops

Postby prog99 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:30 pm

Verylatestarter wrote:I think the addition of Tops to the website is great but can anyone explain why the Bhastier Tooth is a Munro Top of Am Bastier whereas Sgurr Dearg is not a Top of the Inaccessible Pinnacle. Maybe I'm missing something obvious!

John

Only 12 meters drop between Sgurr Dearg & The Inn Pinn thus not considered separate enough at a guess.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby jmarkb » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:59 pm

Sgurr Dearg was formerly a Top - it was one of a dozen or so, mostly with less than 20m of re-ascent, that were demoted in the 1997 edition of the Tables. Curiously, it was listed as the main summit in the very first (1891) list, despite being rightly identified as lower than the In Pinn, but Munro himself later corrected this anomaly. As with the main Munro summits, there are no well-defined criteria for what defines a Top.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Verylatestarter » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:25 pm

Thanks for the clarification, it's something of a disappointment as at my age I am unlikely to climb the Inn Pin but could just about manage Sgurr Dearg.

Regards

John
Verylatestarter
Mountain Walker

Munros:35   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   
Islands:5

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:43 pm

It's a worthwhile walk up the W ridge any case - don't let it's lack of status put you off!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion