walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Pitlochry to Ben Nevis?

Pitlochry to Ben Nevis?

Postby TheRealLurlock » Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:02 pm

Hello,

My wife and I would like to embark on a multi-day hike across the Central Highlands culminating in climbing Ben Nevis, and then ending the trip in Fort William. We have never climbed Ben Nevis before, but I have identified that it should be possible to approach from the East and join the standard CMD East Ridge Route at Steall Falls.

I am unsure about the rest of the journey, however. Is it possible to walk from Pitlochry to Ben Nevis, perhaps through the Tay Forest Park? Maps me shows a route along Loch Rannoch and then up towards Loch Ossian (and I notice there are bothies close to this route) but it follows the roads for a lot of the way, and we'd prefer to stay 'in the hills' as much as possible and climb some smaller summits en route. I also have no idea if the route it shows is even feasible/reliable in the first place.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could offer any advice. I've seen some much longer and more arduous-looking trips posted here, so I'm hoping this idea isn't silly. I just can't find any information about routes in this area anywhere. If there are better starting places for a 2/3/4 night excursion ending in Ben Nevis then I'd love to hear about them as well. I'm not quite sure how to plan this which is why I'm asking here. My wife and I are not new to hillwalking or to multi-day hikes, but we have never attempted one in Scotland before.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: Pitlochry to Ben Nevis?

Postby davekeiller » Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:54 pm

Looks like it should be possible, although it does seem to follow the road for a fair part of the way.
Another option might be to start at Dalwhinnie and head through to Corrour Station and on to Fort William.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Sunset tripper » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:15 pm

Agree with the above Dalwhinnie would be a great start point passing through spectacular scenery with bothy options also. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:18 pm

Another vote for the Dalwhinnie option from me, but if you really want to start from Pitlochry and minimise the road sections you could do:

Rob Roy Way to Kenmore
Forest tracks to Fearnan
Minor road to Fortingall
Hill tracks and paths past Schiehallion to East Tempar
Minor road to Carie
Forest tracks to Bridge of Gaur
Road towards Rannoch Station
Track and path to Corrour

with opportunities to take in some of the hills on the N side of Glen Lyon and those E of Corrour. The route above is around 100km from Pitlochry to Corrour, so maybe 4 days to Corrour and another 2 to Fort William via the Ben?
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:23 pm

Having had a quick look at the map just now, an obvious route isn't jumping out at me.

Starting from Dalwhinnie would get my vote too.

However you could follow the Scottish National Trail from Pitlochry to Laggan, then at Laggan follow the East Highland Way to Fort William taking in Ben Nevis.

*Edit* just read your post again and you're only looking for a 2-4 day hike. So the SNT/EHW is probably too long.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby al78 » Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:01 pm

I'd choose to start at Dalwhinnie, but you could start at Kingussie and head down glen Tromie to the Gaick pass, before heading up and over Meall Chuaich and droping down to Dalwhinnie, then head west from there along loch Ericht/loch Ossian/loch Treig/glen Nevis. Should be doable in four longish days.

Another starting point is Newtonmore, following the East Highland Way to Laggan, then heading along the river Pattack, which meets up with the route from Dalwhinnie.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Chris Henshall » Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:00 pm

While very accessible, Pitlochry isn't an obvious starting point for Ben Nevis and Fort William - not least because the not insignificant stretch of Loch Ericht lies in the way. Starting at Dalwhinnie would sidestep this problem but the approach along the north western shore of Loch Ericht is still long... As an alternative, you could head up to the west end of Loch Rannoch (by taxi rather than on foot) and then head north to Ben Alder Cottage before making your way north and then west along Loch Ossian (accommodation available in the youth hostel) and cross the railway line into the headwaters of Glen Nevis; two bothies there. That'd be a good (but, in decent weather, not too strenuous) four days through to Fort Bill.
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby TheRealLurlock » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:43 am

Thanks so very much for the advice everyone, I appreciate it.

Having looked at the maps again, Dalwhinnie does indeed seem like a much better option and I think it's the one we'll go with. Could others who know the area give me an idea of how many nights you'd expect two relatively fit and healthy people in their 20s to go from Dalwhinnie/Loch Rannoch to Fort William, summiting both Ben Alder and Ben Nevis? Chris Henshall above suggested four days (three nights) if I'm interpreting him correctly - would it be reasonable to plan for one night at the foot of Ben Alder, one night somewhere around the midpoint between Ben Alder and Ben Nevis, and one night at Steall Falls?
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby al78 » Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:11 am

I'd go via Corrour rather than loch Rannoch.

Day 1: Walk from Dalwhinnie to Culra
Day 2: Climb Ben Alder, but carry on west over the tops to Corrour.
Day 3: Walk Corrour to Steall falls.
Day 4: Ben Nevis via Alt Coire Giubhsachan, Carn Mor Dearg and arete, descend along tourist path.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby davekeiller » Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:31 pm

What I would do is:
Day 1: Dalwhinnie to Culra bothy (fairly flat, good tracks, option to include the Fara if feeling fit)
Day2: Ben Alder and Ben Bheoil, return to Culra Bothy
Day 3: Culra Bothy to Corrour station (also fairly flat, option to go over the ridges if munro bagging desired)
Day 4: Corrour station to Steall falls
Day 5: Steal falls to Ben Nevis via CMD if desired (I'm not sure how easy it actually is to gain the ridge from this side, you could do some Glen Nevis munros as an easier alternative).

Corrour station has a youth hostel and a hotel. Hotel runs a pub/restaurant open to non-residents, other nights are wild camping. Culra bothy is officially closed due to asbestos, although was unlocked in July 2021.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Mal Grey » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:35 pm

The Dalwhinnie approach does seem to make most sense. I think you could work a good itinerary that way, based on the suggestions above and you're own planning and knowledge of your own speed when laden.

You mention that you've not done much in Scotland before. Apologies if I'm teaching the bleedin' obvious, but it might be worth noting that some parts of the route will take longer than they would do on more traditional long distance routes, due to the rough terrain, some of which will be trackless.
The ascent to the CMD from Steall is one such part, and the route is going to be tough going. Depending on how light you travel, it may be flippin' hard with a 4-5 day pack on, unless you are used to this sort of thing. I guess what I mean is that I personally would think hard about carrying a big pack up that way, but I'm getting old and lazy! :lol: And my knees would break going down the Ben's normal route with a pack on :shock: but that's me!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:32 pm

Good points from Mal regarding the toughness of this route with a big pack especially the scrambling on CMD and Ben Alder also

Here's a rough route from Dalwhinnie to Fort William. I've covered all the ground at some point or other. I would have my pack as light as possible. There are options to make the days shorter or longer but this would be my choice.
1. A first day from Dalwhinnie over Ben Alder for a night at Ben Alder cottage. That would be a fairly hard day for me!
Ben Alder
20180517_152446.jpg

2. 2nd day - Ben Alder cottage to Corrour where there is a youth hostel you could book beforehand. My choice would be to camp in the area near Loch Ossian or maybe nearer Loch Treig and there might be the option to have a beer at the station. A much easier day.
20180326_131554.jpg

3. 3rd day - Corrour to Steall Ruins where there is plenty good camping options and the fantastic Steall Falls nearby. A bit harder than the day before with boggy ground in glen Nevis.
Steall Falls
20210811_181021.jpg

4. 4th day -Steall Ruins up to CMD and arete and over the ben ending at Glen Nevis YH or campsite. Another big day with a heavy pack.
CMD arete route on to the ben
20210531_092504.jpg

New_Route (33).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Sunset tripper

Postby TheRealLurlock » Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:56 pm

Thank you all so much for the input. I was not expecting to receive such detailed and helpful responses - and especially not getting a potential route mapped out for me!

I count ourselves as fairly fit and strong. We've climbed Fansipan and a number of other substantial peaks with decent packs on. I'm more concerned about my ability to put together a practical route and navigate it competently than I am about our physical ability to complete it, even taking into account difficult terrain. We are looking for something tough and physically arduous but I appreciate the warnings nonetheless.

As far as weight goes, I am trying to make sure we invest in lightweight gear to make the climbs easier. I'm also counting on the fact that it's more efficient to travel as a pair since we'll be sharing one tent, one stove, one lantern, etc., so the weight each of us has to carry should be lighter than if we were hiking solo.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby TheRealLurlock » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:59 pm

Apologies for the double post - but I've one more question: Would you advise taking crampons & axes for any part of this route assuming we go in April/early May?
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Postby jmarkb » Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:06 pm

TheRealLurlock wrote:Would you advise taking crampons & axes for any part of this route assuming we go in April/early May?

Possibly, yes, depending on how much snow is left on the hills by then. The final slope from the end of the CMD arete to the top of the Ben is quite steep and often carries snow late in the season. Chances are that the snow will be soft and there will be a well-worn set of steps up it, but you cannot rely on it!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion