walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Scottish National Trail alternative via Glasgow

Scottish National Trail alternative via Glasgow

Postby DardyBob » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:52 am

I am keen to do the Scottish National Trail but with a some variations. The route I'm wanting to do would see me head North and leave the trail somewhere around Traquair or Peebles and then head west to join the Clyde Walkway at New Lanark. I came across a route called the Kentigern Way which seems to go from Annan to Glasgow and would fill in the bit I'm looking to do quite nicely. The trouble is I can't find any information about that route, and sometimes get pointed to another Kentigern Way which traverses Cumbria.

Is anyone familiar with walking routes around and about Peebles/Broughton/Biggar/Lanark, and are there options to avoid too much traipsing along roads?

FWIW, and as an aside, I did the WHW in January a few years ago and started at Glasgow Central Station. It took a day to walk to Milngavie, but that day added a whole new dimension to the WHW. Also, walking it in winter with the limited daylight hours made for a quite different walk (I've done it 4 times). I never saw another hiker the whole time, but did stop to chat to a few trail runners and folks walking their dogs. For people wondering if the WHW is a challenge, try it in winter.
DardyBob
Walker

Re: Scottish National Trail alternative via Glasgow

Postby nigheandonn » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:04 pm

There's the John Buchan Way from Peebles to Broughton, and then the disused railway line as far as Biggar, but I think you might be onto the roads from there.

Actually, that seems to be what your Kentigern Way does, assuming it's this https://www.kentigernway.com/page18.html?
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby MRG1 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:13 pm

DardyBob wrote:I am keen to do the Scottish National Trail but with a some variations. The route I'm wanting to do would see me head North and leave the trail somewhere around Traquair or Peebles and then head west to join the Clyde Walkway at New Lanark. I came across a route called the Kentigern Way which seems to go from Annan to Glasgow and would fill in the bit I'm looking to do quite nicely. The trouble is I can't find any information about that route, and sometimes get pointed to another Kentigern Way which traverses Cumbria.

Is anyone familiar with walking routes around and about Peebles/Broughton/Biggar/Lanark, and are there options to avoid too much traipsing along roads?

FWIW, and as an aside, I did the WHW in January a few years ago and started at Glasgow Central Station. It took a day to walk to Milngavie, but that day added a whole new dimension to the WHW. Also, walking it in winter with the limited daylight hours made for a quite different walk (I've done it 4 times). I never saw another hiker the whole time, but did stop to chat to a few trail runners and folks walking their dogs. For people wondering if the WHW is a challenge, try it in winter.

I feel I should make clear that I haven't got much experience on the long distance routes in this area but I have walked there a wee bit.
However I've recently taken an interest in the older routes through the country which has inevitably led me to discover the existence of some of the evolution of these routes into modern hiking trails.
And so as a very rough blueprint perhaps you could consider ...
Traquir to Peebles on the "Cross Borders Drove Road" route.

Peebles to Broughton on the "John Buchan Way."

Broughton to Bigger on the dismantled railway that runs alongside Biggar Water.

Then it muddles a bit, there appears to be a local cycle route on (possibly) quiet roads from Biggar towards Lanark / New Lanark.
It's shown on the OSM cycle/hike map.
To fill it in a little it goes via Thankerton and Carmichael.

I don't know how useful this will all be in starting to formulate a plan.
Good luck.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby MRG1 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:31 pm

I was curious about that Kentigern Way and it turns out it follows part of the route that I suggested.
It seems to be a hybrid of parts of various routes.
The Annandale Way is used to get from Annan to Moffat.
The Southern Uplands Way is used to continue onto Traquir.
Then it appears to follow what I suggested before.

https://kentigernway.com/page1.html
MRG1
Rambler

Postby MRG1 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:34 pm

nigheandonn wrote:There's the John Buchan Way from Peebles to Broughton, and then the disused railway line as far as Biggar, but I think you might be onto the roads from there.

Actually, that seems to be what your Kentigern Way does, assuming it's this https://www.kentigernway.com/page18.html?

Snap :lol: 👍
MRG1
Rambler

Postby cruachan06 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:11 pm

If you're keen to avoid roads I should mention that stages 1 and 2 and parts of Stage 3 of the Clyde Walkway (From the Riverside Museum to Strathlyde Park, also the nature reserve that's the first part of Stage 3) are largely proper tarmac paths, as is the first half of the Kelvin Walkway (Riverside Museum to just past Maryhill Road) and having walked all of those sections they are pretty brutal on the legs and feet, especially if you're going to be doing them on continuous days. They're also not the most scenic of routes, unless you're a fan of engineering as there is a vast array of bridges and aquaducts from the Victorian era to the present day.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby DardyBob » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:11 pm

Many thanks for the information and advice posted by way of replies. Living in Australia and being out of the 'Scottish loop' for a while I'm not as familiar with the resources as I could be. You have each offered some really good information and advice and I will now investigate a bit further and develop a plan around it. It's a pretty part of the world (I mean round about Biggar/ New Lanark) and should offer an interesting walk. I'll be starting in late April, so I'd better get my skates on. I'll post an update when I settle on a route, and also let people know how I got on. Sincere thanks to all.

A part of my reason for doing this route is personal and more than a little sentimental too. I lived in Hamilton when I was a wee boy (late '60's early '70's) and during school holidays I'd sometimes sit with my dad in his car as he did his business up and down the Clyde Valley. I recognise most of the place names on the Clyde Walkway but have only vague memories of them. Also my Dad and his side of the family came from the East End of Glasgow so Lanarkshire has strong childhood memories for me (The Tunnocks factory in Uddingston used to have a big display with the number of Caramel Logs it made, is that still there?). There's also quite a bit to see too (New Lanark, Blantyre etc.). Granted, it's not for everyone but it'll be special for me. I also went to Uni in Glasgow and have had more than a few pints of beer and curries in the West End. That leads to another famous trail, or rather infamous, the 'Sub crawl'; has anyone completed it? Oh dear.
DardyBob
Walker

Postby cruachan06 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:13 am

Cool, I'm from Hamilton myself so obviously know the area well! Tunnocks is still there and still an icon, they still have the old delivery vehicle for special occasions as well.

The Clyde Walkway only skirts Hamilton though, it largely sticks to the North bank of the Clyde although there are plenty of places to cross the river around Hamilton and Motherwell, and nostalgia will more than make up for the relative lack of scenery in some parts. It's not that it's dull, but as a designated long distance path it's much more urban than it's contemporaries, especially on the stages I mentioned. One of the nicest stretches is from the David Livingstone Centre in Blantyre past Bothwell Castle and then a long section through Uddingston along the river bank. If you're planning to take several days and visit places it should be fine, you'd be in for several brutal days on the feet and legs if you were going straight through though and then taking the Kelvin Walkway to join up with the WHW.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby BigTed » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:40 am

The sub crawl? Did it when I was old enough to know better. Gets you to bits of Glasgow you would otherwise not see.

The other Subway challenge of course being getting off at Buchanan St. Station. Riding a bike down Buchanan St in time to make it back onto the same train you left.

BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Catastrophe » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:21 am

I did that north to south years ago, via the Carmichael Estates. There was some walking on minor roads involved, but as this had the Falls of Lanark at one end and Tinto at the other it was still a rather pleasant walk.
Catastrophe
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1

Postby Catastrophe » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:13 am

Just had a look at the Kentigern Way. This it mostly what I did apart from the bit where I went through the Carmichael Estates to the visitor centre. This saves some road walking and adds the benefit of a tearoom for lunch. ;)
Catastrophe
Bird-watcher

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Donalds:1

Postby FraserHughes » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:58 am

https://www.kentigernway.com/page18.html

As well as cutting through Carmichael there's a path that runs from Biggar to Cormiston, via Langlee Farm, that reduces the road walking a wee bit.

Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 10.57.05.png
FraserHughes

Postby DardyBob » Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:06 pm

Thank you so much for the interesting replies. They are very much appreciated. It's looking like this little diversion could be a worthwhile walk on its own. I was really interested to read about The John Buchan Way, and now it seems the other suggestions will only add to the overall appeal. I'm a happy camper, so to speak. :D Thanks to all.
DardyBob
Walker

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:52 pm

The John Buchan Way is a nice walk (the connection with the author is somewhat tenuous, however!).

There are a couple of worthwhile minor variations that involve a little extra climbing but better views:

Instead of descending from the col W of Cademuir Hill to the minor road, stay on the ridge past the two Iron Age forts and head N from the final bump to rejoin the road near Milton.

From the high point of the track before the final descent to Broughton, go up to a col, and then to the summit of Clover Law. Follow the ridge for another 1 km, where a steep grassy track descends to cross a bridge over the Hollows Burn and rejoin the normal route.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion