walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River crossing

Re: River crossing

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:30 am

Remove socks, remove insoles, put boots back on, wade river, pour water out of boots, insoles back in boots, socks on, start walking, simple.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby WeeHills » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:49 pm

"It was getting a bit tricky for balance trying to hold a pair of boots and edge along all the stone barefoot, so when I got half way across I threw the boots to the other side."

The trick is to tie your boots together by the laces and drape them round your neck.

I like a good wade, find it preferable to balancing precariously on slippery stepping stones, and favour cheap sandals and a wee micro-fibre cloth.
WeeHills

Postby davemorrissey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:09 pm

JoBen wrote:Thank you so much for all this. I saw this picture of a couple happily wading through a stream and thought I was missing something and there were waterproof boots so I didn't need to take my boots off (I use the barefoot, poles and bugger that's cold technique :) )

If I read this right, you're missing the boots hanging from his pack :wink: Same technique I use for bike+hike.

I normally go barefoot, with poles and a 130g microfibre travel towel I usually carry. I have a pair of these for summer kayaking and would take those for big crossings, especially early in the walk like Ben Lui. My boots would stay wet for a week!
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby kaye.cantlay » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:24 pm

I'm rubbish at crossing rivers - short legs and poor balance = trouble with using stones.
In the event of a wade I've generally anticipated it in advance and have my very special river crossing crocs to hand, and I always have my poles to steady myself.
Boots and socks off, boots tied by laces and slung around my neck.

Water above the knee would be a no go for me on my own.
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby TheRealLurlock » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:54 pm

davemorrissey wrote:I have a pair of these for summer kayaking and would take those for big crossings, especially early in the walk like Ben Lui.

Thanks for the suggestion. How much do they weigh?
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Postby davemorrissey » Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:08 pm

They're 420g, so probably heavier than most sandals or flip flops.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:20 pm

davemorrissey wrote:They're 420g, so probably heavier than most sandals or flip flops.

I generally just use flip flops which at under 150gr. Also have wet suit shoes - heavier but I think under 300gr.
Always use two poles to aid balance and have crossed water as deep as mid thigh (removed trousers first). Sometimes I've got perhaps part way across then had to go back and try along the bank a bit if too deep.
Using the flip flops, I need to grip the thong with my toes and be careful to ensure they stay on - sort of shuffle along the river bed. The soles though are thick so I don't feel the stones underneath.
The wet suit shoes stay on very well but the soles are very thin so I feel all the stones underneath.
Pros and cons. I generally carry the flip flops if there's a risk of a water crossing at all as they're so light. Found that it's just a case of getting used to them and working out how best to use them over the years.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Colin1951 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:58 pm

In my view, essentials for river crossing, if you can’t safely boulder hop - flip flops and walking poles.

In spate conditions - I just don’t. Either walk upstream or find another hill!
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Ewen1966 » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:46 am

Croc swiftwater.
A bit nicer looking than bog standard crocs and they stay on better. I used mine to cross the bay of Mont St Michel when doing the 3 saints way so comfy as well.
I have been known to just wade rivers in my boots at the end of the day though...
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion