walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

River crossing

River crossing

Postby AspiringHiker » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:55 pm

I've seen a number of people mention taking off footwear when fording a stream. I'd like to know what kind of footwear you normally hike in and why you choose either keep it on or take it off when fording a stream.
AspiringHiker
Backpacker

Re: River crossing

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:04 pm

I think some of us who walk in more traditional boots take them off so as not to have wet boots for the rest of the walk. However if its right at the end of a day, and I've got gaiters on, I might just wade straight through.

On longer crossings where rock hopping isn't an option I've sometimes taken off the boot, removed socks, then put the boots back on. Reducing the wetness but still protecting my feet in a crossing.

Then there are those who go for the "big plastic bag over the boot" approach and carry something for this if they know a big crossing is needed.

Mostly, I try to avoid wading crossings and just choose rock-hopping places; my walking poles are a big help here. Some routes, though, are not possible without a bit of wading.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:13 pm

Same here - usually wear leather boots and will take them off if the water is obviously going to go over the top. Don't like having wet feet and boots can take a long time to dry out after a proper soaking. If the wading is planned in advance (which doesn't happen very often), I may take a pair of crocs to make it a bit more comfortable.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby simon-b » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:21 pm

I've used sandals, not too heavy or bulky to add to the rucksack's contents.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby al78 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:40 pm

I tend to keep it on if there is a way of avoiding having to put my foot in water that will go over the top of my boots. Otherwise I will take them off. When I had to cross the river just before Shenaval bothy, I just blazed across the river and marshy stuff, and accepted wet boots, but I had a spare pair of shoes I could use for the walk out the following day.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:04 pm

I've got some very basic lycra topped type slipper things with a thin rubber sole I got on aliexpress for a couple of quid. I don't like having wet feet. I,'ve got Salomon boots that are supposedly waterproof but I'be crossed most rivers/streams I've come across by rockhopping. Only used the slipons about 5 times so far in the 2 years I've had them.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:25 pm

An old pair of trainers if you think a more full-on river crossing might be needed.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:21   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:30 pm

I've had quite a few water crossings too deep for boots and I generally only wear gaiters in winter esp when there's a chance of needing crampons. I just carry a light pair of flip flops or, if I definitely know I'll need them, a pair of wet suit flex shoes instead as they stay on a bit better than flip flops but you feel all the stones through the thin soles. Remove boots, socks and sometimes trousers if the water is deeper than knee height.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby MRG1 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:45 pm

I haven't had to make such a crossing ... yet.
However, my method would be to wade through wearing my boots then on the other side change into waterproof socks so as to keep my feet dry from my wet boots.
Unless it wasn't too deep, then I'd simply wear my waterproof socks from the outset.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:24   

Postby Fiona Reid » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:02 pm

I only wear boots in the winter now but if I know I'm going to wade a river deep enough to go over the tops of the boots then I'll take a pair of Crocs so I keep my boots dry. In summer I wear lightweight trail shoes and just get them wet.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:10 am

No mention of rubble bags...?!? One can wade a pretty deep (around knee deep) stream without too much trouble using a couple of rubble bags worn over one's boots - I've used this method (on which Black Panther claims copyright, I believe) a number of times, and I always take at least one bag with me when I walk.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:39 am

You've got a few options:

Crocs: light weight and they don't absorb water. A tad bulky though.

Aqua shoes: light weight and make good camp shoes but take monger to dry.

Feetz: Festival wellies, fit over your boots but about the same height as gaiters so not for wading.

Rubble bags: cheap and light.

Flip flops: light and quick drying but could come off in fast moving water?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby 1Magnus » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:57 am

But I remember at least one occasion (Beinn Mhanach, August 2020) when it felt wonderful to get wet feet, with your boots on! Sweltering day, you're on the way down in the late afternoon, your feet feel super hot and you just want to get back to the car. But luckily there are seven (seven!) fords to cross on the way back, so every 20 mins, a fantastic free spa treatment for your sore feet! Ah, the relief... :clap:
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby KatTai » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:11 pm

I use the Feetz mentioned above, water that would be higher than them is a no from me :lol: They're a bit of a faff though to be honest so if I can find an easier way across I'll choose that option first.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:37 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote::
Crocs: light weight and they don't absorb water. A tad bulky though

Aye, they are bulky but they weigh nothing. I just clip mine to the outside of my rucksack with a small carabiner/ bit of cord.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion