walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Locked gates at Glen Fannich

Locked gates at Glen Fannich

Postby alexmat » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:34 pm

Yesterday i had hoped to climb Meal Gorm and An Coileachian from the Glen Fannich estate road at Grudie. .I was somewhat surprised to find the gates padlocked and no way through!!. Is anyone else had this problem? I am finding more and more gates locked or new deer fences being erected with no way through onto the hills on some of our estates. So much for freedom of access.
alexmat
Mountain Walker

Re: Locked gates at Glen Fannich

Postby iain_atkinson_1986 » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:08 pm

Had you planned to cycle/walk from the A832 to Loch Fannich? It's been closed to cars for a long time I believe. Shame as it looks the better approach to the hills.

I have no problem with deer fences, tbh. It helps if they put in stiles but otherwise they'll fail much quicker with walkers climbing over them.
iain_atkinson_1986
Munro compleatist

Munros:83   Corbetts:216
Fionas:20   Donalds:16+9
Sub 2000:4   

Postby Skyelines » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:31 pm

You can email the relevant access officer with problems assocated with access. https://www.highland.gov.uk/info/1225/countryside_farming_and_wildlife/161/outdoor_access/7

If these sorts of things were reported more often then the message will eventually get through to estates. If nothing is reported then things will not change and some estates will get away with more.
The access guidance for landowners is that they should not actively do things that hinder access.

https://www.outdooraccess-scotland.scot/sites/default/files/2018-09/Scottish%20Outdoor%20Access%20Code%20-%20Part%204%20Managing%20land%20and%20water%20responsibly%20for%20access.pdf

Scroll down to sections 4.7 - 4.10
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby alexmat » Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:36 pm

I had planned to cycle along the estate road which I have done before. I can only think the road was closed for maintenance but no signs to say so.
alexmat
Mountain Walker

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:47 pm

That road has been closed to the public for about 20 years, I think. That said, you should still be able to bike up it.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Giant Stoneater » Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:29 am

4 years ago i walked up to Loch Fannich and there was no problems as i was speaking to some of the estate workers.
I wonder if after the covid restrictions that folk have been driving up the estate road and thats why it is a locked gate now,peoples behaviour has certainly changed.
On one site people were saying it was ok to drive up Glen Tilt which is not allowed because they had seen cars up there, it is a working estate with holiday rentals after all.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby malky_c » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:09 am

I can't remember seeing a gate - is it a little way up the hill, by a cattle grid? There was nothing barring access last July - we cycled up then. I'm guessing it was open and I just didn't notice it.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:04 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:4 years ago i walked up to Loch Fannich and there was no problems as i was speaking to some of the estate workers.
I wonder if after the covid restrictions that folk have been driving up the estate road and thats why it is a locked gate now,peoples behaviour has certainly changed.
On one site people were saying it was ok to drive up Glen Tilt which is not allowed because they had seen cars up there, it is a working estate with holiday rentals after all.

Met a couple last summer who had driven up Glen tilt and were having a picnic near manor lodge.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:12 pm

The SAIS forecaster cycled up there today so presume its ok. http://torridonblog.sais.gov.uk/2022/04/thawing-5/
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby rgf101 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:36 am

Jon and Jen wrote:Met a couple last summer who had driven up Glen tilt and were having a picnic near manor lodge.

I met a couple doing similar somewhere along the road a year or two back. Guy was a plane-spotter and advised me of a couple of jets scheduled to come along, which helped me grab a good photo. She looked bored out of her skull.

Years back I was walking up and the postie stopped to give me a lift. He agreed it would be a fine idea to send a first-class-stamped postcard to "end of the road, Glen Tilt" the day before any future trips in the hope of ensuring a repeat performance.
rgf101

Postby Kaledonian » Mon May 02, 2022 7:50 pm

rgf101 wrote:Years back I was walking up and the postie stopped to give me a lift. He agreed it would be a fine idea to send a first-class-stamped postcard to "end of the road, Glen Tilt" the day before any future trips in the hope of ensuring a repeat performance.

This is absolutely genius, might need to get creative for some of the walks with a 10hr jaunt back to the car :lol: :clap:
Kaledonian
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion