walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Booking Ferry to Mull

Booking Ferry to Mull

Postby malrobb » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:45 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering how far in advance do you need to book a ferry over to Mull? It would be the Oban/Craignure crossing. We are planning on travelling on the last Saturday in May but not sure how busy it gets, and you dont appear to book a specific sailing etc. We are planning on doing Ben More and want to do it on a day trip. Thanks for any info

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Re: Booking Ferry to Mull

Postby Colin1951 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:54 pm

I was in Mull last November and certainly in the winter timetable we pre booked a specific ferry each way. However it appears that if you turn up early and there’s room, you can cross on a different ferry. Our return day sailings were disrupted by severe weather and we actually ended up on an earlier ferry than the one we’d booked.

May isn’t that far away, probably makes sense to book as soon as you’re clear about your plans. Capacity doesn’t look like a problem though, the boats are pretty big.

Enjoy the island, it’s an amazing place and not just the hills.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:05 pm

I'd book ASAP, you don't want the disappointment of being no space. The alternative is to drive to Lochaline and do the short crossing from there, no booking necessary.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby KatTai » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:22 pm

The sailing times is brought up after you put in vehicle details and you can select what time you want to travel. I'd book asap, it does get busy!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Sunset tripper » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:24 pm

I've been to Mull often and only ever booked a few days in advance at most, often only booking on the day which is OK if you're flexible. Having said that I think there may be a shortage of ships just now so booking early is good advice.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby Andy Milne » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:19 pm

As you get into the summer months it gets busier.
The last time we were there was ’pre-Covid’ so things may have changed. If you book you definitely have a space. If you don’t book you MAY get on, but you may also wait all day. Once those who have booked arrive, then if there are any other available places they will be offered to those waiting. But if there are no spaces they won’t be able to squeeze you on.
Andy Milne
Hill Bagger

Munros:230   Corbetts:44
Fionas:18   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:31 pm

I’d book as soon as you can for the Oban crossing. Cal Mac are really struggling due to an aged fleet and unscheduled repairs, leading to juggling boats on routes. Last years problems were only partly due to covid, the situation is unlikely to get better unless some boats are brought off the peg, rather than built. But that is politically contentious (read embarrassing to the current SG incumbents).
Scraggygoat

Postby davekeiller » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:18 pm

Is that not the bank holiday weekend?
Crossing will be busier if it is.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby prog99 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:10 pm

I'd definitely book now based on last year.
Coming back we chanced it on an earlier ferry and literally got squeezed on. In the past it used to be much easier.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:45 am

I got the wee ferry from Mingary pier near Kilchoan on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, it was quick, easy, not busy and I got they impression they just go back and forth until everyone is across that wants to go. This lands you at Tobermory which is good for food, groceries, pubs, etc.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby malrobb » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:30 am

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I will book now and hope for good weather.

Cheers

Mal
malrobb
Mountain Walker

Munros:201   

Postby DopeyLoser » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:53 pm

I tried a test booking yesterday on the calmac site. With vehicle, only the first and last ferries of your day were available. The other eight ferries were unavailable. This is two months ahead of your travel date. Without vehicle all ferries are available. Now I know why Mull residents are at their wits' ends re the ferries.

A suggestion for anyone who is interested. It would be very simple and convenient not to take a car over. Just walk on to the ferry, get the connecting bus, get off at the foot of the hill, climb, descend, get bus back. Or even a taxi. That would also make it easy to change plans at short notice for weather.
DopeyLoser

Postby Sunset tripper » Fri Apr 01, 2022 4:47 pm

There must be something exciting happening on Mull on the last day of May.

A had a look at booking for Oban/Craignure for this weekend out of interest. The last 3 sailings are available today. 5 out of 9 available for tomo including 1st two and last two. All sailings available for coming back on Sunday.

I'm on Mull 2 or 3 times a year usually using the Lochaline ferry which is the best option if driving from Inverness.
The drive to Kilchoan is loooooong with single track but a fine crossing also straight in to Tobermory and fantastic scenery.

Ben voyage :D
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion