walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorms long distance walk advice

Cairngorms long distance walk advice

Postby Gorylewicz » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi everyone!
Love to come back here. I used to be in Scotland 3 times. One for cycling, one for West Highland Way and one for some other walks. These time (in May) I'd like to pack my backpack for a week or two and explore deeply Cairngorms with my wife. Rather long distance walks with quite a fast pace but not run. We'd like to hop on few beautiful mountains too.
I'd like to download all walks from here https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/
and try to create some epic route. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Please let me know if there is any possibility to download these tracks at once? :roll: I'd like to put them into garmin basecamp later and see which will join into nice long distance walk.
Gorylewicz
Backpacker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Re: Cairngorms long distance walk advice

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:51 am

Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:14 am

Do you want routes through the passes or over the summits? The latter requires good fitness if you have a loaded backpack.

If I were doing a full Cairngorms explore and fitness wasn't an issue, I'd do something like this:

Aviemore -> Braeriach -> Cairn Toul -> Devils Point -> Corrour bothy
Corrour Bothy -> Braemar
Braemar -> Invercauld Bridge -> Ben Avon/Bhuird -> Ben Bhreac
Ben Bhreac -> Beinn a Chaorainn -> Beinn Mheadhoin -> loch Etchachan
loch Etchachan -> Derry Cairngorm -> Ben Macdui -> Cairn Lochan -> Cairn Gorm -> loch Avon
loch Avon -> Bynack More -> Ryovan bothy -> Glenmore lodge

I think that covers all the Munros and will be extremely challenging.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:39 am

That misses a lot of munros ^

Check out the rigby round, aless well known or run round of the cairngorms, covers all 18 of the main range. I set out to do it over 5 days last June, but had to can it when heading from macdui to carn a mhaim due to the weather.

Brilliant though, hardly met a soul.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heightsofmadness.com/2019/07/19/running-rigby-round-the-cairngorms-munros-in-one-go/amp/
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:48 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:That misses a lot of munros ^

Check out the rigby round, aless well known or run round of the cairngorms, covers all 18 of the main range. I set out to do it over 5 days last June, but had to can it when heading from macdui to carn a mhaim due to the weather.

Brilliant though, hardly met a soul.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/heightsofmadness.com/2019/07/19/running-rigby-round-the-cairngorms-munros-in-one-go/amp/

Sorry, missed Carn a Maim. Wasn't sure if Beinn Bhotrain/Monadh Mor were classed as part of the Cairngorms. I didn't include the glen Feshie munros as I'm not sure if they are part of the Cairngorms either.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby prog99 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:14 pm

They all are but are fine walks done individually.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Aye, all part of the cairngorms, Sgor Gaioth too. On a nice day, I love a wander (or a pedal) across that part of the plateau, the grandeur is quite overwhelming at times. I'm keen to get back up this year and complete the full round, so many fantastic places on that route, I love the other worldly feel to the tors on Avon, Mheadoin and the Barns of Bynack, the vastness of that whole eastern part, and the clefts of Ghru and Laiogh separating the big boys.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Gorylewicz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:50 pm

Hi all,

many thanks for advice. Definitely we want to go over the summits. Rigby round looks fantastic. I like other suggestions as well. I'll come back here when I create some gpx route.

Have a nice day!
Gorylewicz
Backpacker

Postby walkingpoles » Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:24 pm

I'd consider the rigby round suboptimal when carrying lots of gear. You probably enjoy it more if you leave the heavy stuff at lover levels, especially at the beginning, when you'll be carrying lots of food.

Also, I'd make lots of plans so that you can adjust depending on whether and how you feel. I climbed all the 18 peaks in a week, adjusting my plans lots of times. Not the most efficient way, but I would probably have failed bagging all the munros if I had followed a plan to the letter.

Here's my report:
https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=80628

Enjoy!
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:18 am

walkingpoles wrote:I'd consider the rigby round suboptimal when carrying lots of gear. You probably enjoy it more if you leave the heavy stuff at lover levels, especially at the beginning, when you'll be carrying lots of food.

With all my gear, and food, my pack weighed 13.5kg. My pack is pretty comfy, the weight wasn't a factor really.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Gorylewicz » Thu May 26, 2022 10:57 am

Hi,

Trip is coming soon (~4 of June). I decided to start and end in Blair Athol (friend will drop off us there from the Stirling area).

I'll try to follow this route with some changes.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=110584

First day I'd like to make a detour and go to the Carn A'Chlamain.
The other idea is to go through Carn Liath but I'm afraid of missing Glen Tilt views.

From Bramear I'd like to cross River Dee by Old bridge. It is open? And then near Carn Na Crinche return to the track.
Then similar, maybe with a few more tops depending on the weather conditions (maybe visit fords of Avon area) but finish in Glenmore. Rest and wash in the camping site

Then the idea is to go to the Kingussie (by foot or by bus) and come back through:

A) Minigaig (this route https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=81526)
B) partial National Trail: Glen Feshie -> Glen Tilt (only few miles with the same route) -> Carn Liath (so first day will be through Carn A'Chlamain)

What do you think? Which one is better option?
There are any obstacles in my route i.e. floods etc.?

I will have 10-12 days for all.
So if everything go fine I'd like to make this loop in the middle (https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/monadhliath.shtml) It seems to be fine walk.

It is all only the sketch, if the weather is bad I'll need to change my plans.
Attachments
image_2022-05-26_115713660.png
Gorylewicz
Backpacker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion