walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

First aid courses

First aid courses

Postby TheRealLurlock » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:23 pm

It's time for me to refresh my knowledge of first aid ahead of some multi-day walks. I've enquired with the Red Cross but every course in my area is booked up for months at the moment (and that's not an exaggeration). Are there any other nationwide first aid courses which anyone would recommend? (particularly if they are outdoor-specific as my previous training has been generic). Many thanks.
TheRealLurlock
Backpacker

Munros:1   Corbetts:1

Re: First aid courses

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:35 pm

There may be on-line courses, with a special video-link for the practical parts like CPR. I did one like that during lockdown. It depends what sort of thing you might want to practice.
I use a pack of highly-trained, limb-specific beavers.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby prog99 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:09 pm

prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WeeHills » Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:46 pm

I did my original first aid training with St Andrews who seem to have places available on various courses in the Glasgow area (I didn't check further afield).

https://www.firstaid.org.uk/

To be honest, I prefer the Red Cross though, I find their approach more relaxed (all my refresher courses have been with them).
WeeHills

Postby brpro26 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:07 pm

If you're already first aid trained then a brush up reading the book and watching online videos with a willing....or non-willing subject to practice on would be enough I'd reckon. Tailor your learning to situations you'll likely encounter on the trip.
Have planned in your head...what will I do if this or that happens. How can I adapt my training for the outdoors.
Prepared is forewarned in my view. It won't happen...enjoy the trip, right. :wink:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Postby AyrshireAlps » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:41 pm

AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:24 am

I'd google British Association of Ski Patrollers. The 2 day course they devised is generally regarded as the standard outdoor specific course. If you can do a 4 day one that qualifies you for first aid at work, you might be able to get your employer to pay (especially if they're legally required to have a first aider).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Colin1951 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:53 pm

It’s not clear where you live but Glasgow Climbing Centre do a mountain-specific first aid course, 2 days, compatible with the requirements of Mountain Training Scotland (I.e. for ML qualifications etc).
Alternatively you could Google Mountain-training, they’ll probably have a list of providers.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion