walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Remote hiking issue

Re: Remote hiking issue

Postby weaselmaster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:55 pm

For years I would leave on a Thursday night and return on a Sunday night, and I wouldn’t be in contact with my wife til I sent her a text to say we were on the way down the road. I’d usually leave a note of the hills we’d be doing over the weekend but not always. If we were doing something serious like scrambling on Skye I’d maybe let her know it had gone ok, but otherwise she just got used to not hearing from me. I enjoyed not having the intrusion of phone contact in my weekend - after all I go into the hills for an escape from everyday life. I’d have a spare mobile with me, for emergencies, a wee dumb-phone. I’d also carry a PLB which I could activate in emergencies.

In the last few months I’ve had my mobile with me, been using it instead of a camera, and to check next days weather, but I’ve sometimes sent her a text or photo. I’ve found I don’t really like that, and if I say I’ll be in touch then can’t get a signal it can cause worry on both sides.

I remember when my son was old enough to be going places on his own - there was scope for anxiety as to whether he was ok etc etc and I could have let anxieties drive me to insist he text or call me basically all the time! Instead I realised I needed to deal with my own anxiety and let him enjoy getting on with his life. That was much easier than arranging or expecting him to call or text then him being unable to or forgetting and then me worrying.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Colin1951 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:02 am

I got a signal (which announced itself with a phone call ) on the summit of Mam Sodhail so signals do exist, just quite hard to find. Also note that a text manages to get through with a mere fragment of signal.I don’t always take my phone, much to my wife’s annoyance, but even when I do I warn her that she might not hear from me til I’m back on the road somewhere. It sort of works….
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby James Picksley » Mon May 09, 2022 10:34 am

I don't think anyone has mentioned the Garmin GPSMAP 66i (a sort of big brother of the InReach). I got this mainly for the same reason, i.e. partner worrying about me when I'm out on my own. I'm really pleased with it. It allows tracking via satellite whereby you turn it on at the start of a walk and it sends a message regularly to whoever you want it too with your location. There's no interaction required throughout the day and there's no need for anyone to send you messages, so you can walk without any interruptions or contact. Saves me messing aout with my mobile if I don't feel like it. It also gives redundancy on map, compass, altimeter, etc., and has a big red SOS button on the side, just in case... Good piece of kit in my opinion.
James Picksley

Munros:230   Corbetts:32

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion