walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

knee pain

knee pain

Postby al78 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:23 pm

I've just done a walk starting at Haweswater bagging a few of the nearby summits. Whilst my leg muscles and cardiovascular system could easily cope, I suffered with knee pain which built up over the walk, but only on the descents. I wished I had my poles with me but I left them at home. It was unpleasant on the final long descent from near High Street to the reservoir.

I didn't get this in Scotland last year despite doing more demanding walks with a loaded backpack. The only difference between now and last year is this year I started resistance training in the gym using heavy compound movements, including barbell squatting. Is it possible my squat form is not quite right and squatting is putting pressure on my knees? Otherwise, are there any other possibly reasons why this should suddenly affect me now?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Re: knee pain

Postby jmarkb » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:19 pm

Could just be the terrain, combined with not having poles: I find the pitched stone paths in the Lakes particularly tough on the knees.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby nigheandonn » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:53 pm

I fell and hurt my knee on the stoniest bit of Scafell, and for about two years after that it hurt whenever I went downhill in the Lakes, but never hurt in Scotland, even when I went kind of the wrong way off the Kinloch Rannoch end of Schiehallion (and even when I deliberately took it down the steep bit of the Hillend path so I could mark exactly where it hurt on my leg with sharpie!). It's like there's a forcefield at the border, or something :D
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Sunset tripper » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:44 pm

al78 wrote:
I didn't get this in Scotland last year despite doing more demanding walks with a loaded backpack. The only difference between now and last year is..........

...... that you are another year older.
I find this to be my main issue. :(

More seriously - good point from jmarkb, I found the paths in the lake district unkind on the knees. Unlike some of the old stalkers paths in Scotland which can see you stroll up and down hills with ease. I think the art of building these paths has been lost.

I always take a pole now for descents. Couldn't believe the difference it makes.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby al78 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:23 pm

Thanks, I hadn't considrered the effect of the terrain underfoot. Yes the Lake District paths tend to be made from stones so are hard and uneven, and coming downhill on that whilst trying to resist gravity must put some jarring force through the knee. When I walked from Kinloch Hourn to Shiel Bridge last year, there was significant ascent and descent, but the descent was on soft ground.7
al78
Walker

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:01 am

Chase Mountains does some excellent stretch routine videos, I done these on the run up to my CWT and worked a treat.

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:47 am

Descending always gives trouble, every step is a jolt to the musculoskeletal frame, ankles, knees and hips all being hurt. The logical assumption that one should simply stay up there is clearly impractical, and would lead to very crowded summits, with an over-abundance of food delivery staff. There would be complaints. Have you considered amputation, with a grafting-on of coiled springs with rubber stoppers or some Heath-Robinson affair of cantilevered apparatus and leaf-springs to absorb the shocks?

the right trousers.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby AyrshireAlps » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:09 am

Do you do any soleus specific exercises? Knee stability is a fine balance, if you have strong quads from squatting frinstance, and week soleus, you'll get an imbalance, and pain.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby al78 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:42 am

AyrshireAlps wrote:Do you do any soleus specific exercises? Knee stability is a fine balance, if you have strong quads from squatting frinstance, and week soleus, you'll get an imbalance, and pain.

No, I have never heard of the soleus.
al78
Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:56 pm

You mention using poles, although this might help the knee pain it could also mask a more serious problem, coming downhill you do put more force on your knees.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby prog99 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:31 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:You mention using poles, although this might help the knee pain it could also mask a more serious problem, coming downhill you do put more force on your knees.

Yes, I find it’s easy to tense up going downhill. Relaxing sligjtly(terrain permitting) feels so much more natural.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby bar72 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:58 pm

Just grin and bear it or sometimes I'll swallow a couple of Tramadol, works wonders on joint pain.
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:181
Fionas:70   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Bastonjock » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:07 pm

I've just done the WHW ,glen Nevis and Ben Nevis ,it's my feet that hurt lol my knees are okay ,I've taken care descending to use my poles ,it's those rocky paths ,lying here just now looking up at the Ben :D
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby Bastonjock » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:08 pm

I've just done the WHW ,glen Nevis and Ben Nevis ,it's my feet that hurt lol my knees are okay ,I've taken care descending to use my poles ,it's those rocky paths ,lying here just now looking up at the Ben :D
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:48 pm

A friend who developed a sore knee problem went to a physio and they were really helpful and diagnosed the problem and what to do about it - knee problem sorted. Not sure it is always so simple but might be worth a shot.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion