walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Glenaffric

Glenaffric

Postby weesmudge » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:36 pm

Evening all
Looking to go into glenaffric to do the 3 of the Mam sodhail group
But I've been looking at the maps to try and shorten the day down a wee bit
My thinking is to park at the last carpark at the foot of the Glen
But I'm wondering is it possible to cycle down the north side of the loch and then cycle shove my bike as far as I can up glen coire leachaive do the 3 and return by the same route would be great coming down the hill.
I've noticed on OS maps that there is a little outbuilding at about the 500m mark at a kink in the burn probably hydro or similar.
TIA
Chris
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Re: Glenaffric

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:09 pm

Depends how rough you like your cycling. The track along the north side of the loch is reasonable, but it is more of a quad-bike track than a landrover track so it has a few steep and twisty bits in it and a couple of short sections of new gravel that hasn't compacted down properly yet and will probably be like cycling in sand. There is a short section bypassing the lodge that is more of a path than a track, but it doesn't last long. Probably not too bad on a mountain bike (I was walking along there on Friday and thinking it would be mostly OK for cycling, although not as fast as the track on the south side of the loch).

The track up Coire Leachavie is very steep. It's definitely more cyclable than the path that used to be there before but I wouldn't bother myself!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Helen Bruce » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:53 am

I've not cycled the north side of the loch, but I did walk down Coire Leachavie from Mam Sodhail a few years ago and the track was very loose with fairly big rocks and quite eroded, so for me it wouldn't be worth the bother of cycling it.

However, another option for you would be to cycle on the south side road which is a good ride, then go up from there. See my 2013 trip report: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32549. You could do a variation of this, leaving your bike at the point where we ascended and then walking down Coire Leachavie on the descent.

From memory, apart from the initial grassy slog up to the ridge, it was a great day out. While you'd have a longer cycle it might be more enjoyable ...

Have a good day, anyway!
Helen Bruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:160   Corbetts:81
Fionas:10   Donalds:20
Islands:46

Postby mmill » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:29 pm

We did those 3 last year and were glad we had walked it. We are probably fairly average pace and it took us just under 9.5 hours. Walking you can take in the great views, rather than be watching the track ahead all the time.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby Colin1951 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:14 pm

You can cycle easily from the car park to Strawberry Cottage and probably a bit further towards Coire Leachavie before it gets to be more bother than it’s worth. In the other direction, Strawberry Cottage to the youth hostel is very bouldery and unpleasant for a bike.
Colin1951
Stravaiging

Munros:226   Corbetts:20
Fionas:5   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby WalkWithWallace » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Other option is paying the Angus the boatman to drop you off at the foot of Beinn Fhionnlaidh and do all 5 Munros back to the Mullardoch dam.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Stuart84 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:43 pm

WalkWithWallace wrote:Other option is paying the Angus the boatman to drop you off at the foot of Beinn Fhionnlaidh and do all 5 Munros back to the Mullardoch dam.

That's my plan for this summer. Makes is manageable.
Stuart84
Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:20
Fionas:16   Donalds:5+4
Sub 2000:46   
Islands:10

Postby weesmudge » Sun May 01, 2022 9:08 pm

Evening all done this route today as per the opening question
So managed to cycle along the north side of the loch to the point where you turn right at the cairn to head up the Glen, shoved my bike up to the dam and then done the 3 munros in 8hrs 6min.
The cycle out from the dam was epic I have a full suspension bike the I use at trail centres and both bike and myself coped fine from dam back to the carpark in 34 minutes and I chatted to a couple with a dog for about 5 of them.
So for me it was worth the shove up the hill. 8) 8)
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Postby WalkWithWallace » Mon May 02, 2022 9:21 am

Update. The boatman isn't running this season as he's recovering from an RTA. Hope he's okay. :(
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby John Hughes » Tue May 03, 2022 11:02 am

Hi Folks,
Some interesting updates - sorry to hear about ferryman Angus' accident. Was hoping to use the ferry this summer. Looks like I'll have to cycle in and camp or stay at Alltbeithe. Does anyone know whether it's OK to leave your car for a couple of nights in the Glen Affric car park or do they enforce a restriction for one day parking only?
TIA
John
John Hughes
Munro compleatist

Postby FraserHughes » Tue May 03, 2022 2:04 pm

John Hughes wrote:Hi Folks,
Some interesting updates - sorry to hear about ferryman Angus' accident. Was hoping to use the ferry this summer. Looks like I'll have to cycle in and camp or stay at Alltbeithe. Does anyone know whether it's OK to leave your car for a couple of nights in the Glen Affric car park or do they enforce a restriction for one day parking only?
TIA
John

I don't know about the main (pay and display) car park at the end of the public road but the car park at Chisholme Bridge is free and you can stay overnight.
FraserHughes

Postby weesmudge » Tue May 03, 2022 6:12 pm

The carpark at the end of the road is a pay and display
And there are notices about no overnight parking but there always seems to be cars vans there that look like they've been there all night
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Postby John Hughes » Wed May 04, 2022 9:45 am

Thanks for the info,
Looks like Chisholme Bridge car park will be ideal.
John Hughes
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion