walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Trenchant comment on the Ukraine situation from a walker...

Trenchant comment on the Ukraine situation from a walker...

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:43 pm

I noticed this commentary on the international situation, scrawled on a path stone when walking out to Kinder Scout last Tuesday. Succinct!

20220414_070003.jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Trenchant comment on the Ukraine situation from a walker

Postby Graeme D » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:57 pm

Makes a change from the recent spate of vegan scrawlings I guess! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Bastonjock » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:08 am

There was quite a bit of graffiti on the whw from rowardenan on wards , looked like it came from an asylum seeker with mental health problems ,his statements were aimed at the police ,mi5 , the NHS and not being allowed to work , I found it very annoying as the individual had written something on most of the posts and signs
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby Low Level Walker » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 am

Bastonjock wrote:There was quite a bit of graffiti on the whw from rowardenan on wards , looked like it came from an asylum seeker with mental health problems ,his statements were aimed at the police ,mi5 , the NHS and not being allowed to work , I found it very annoying as the individual had written something on most of the posts and signs

I just completed WHW from Easter Friday 15th April to Tuesday 19th April and I noticed it myself. I found it somewhat disturbing.

Why would someone take a marker pen on them for such a walk? It wasn’t just the fence posts it was also rocks in the ground.

I found it somewhat ironic the “NHS are c***s” message, as if this individual was to have a fall or accident on walk then it would be the NHS that he/she would be reliant on for medical attention.

The only thankful thing I noticed was that the graffiti seemed to stop at Tyndrum. I was talking to a fellow WHW walker from Lancashire about this when leaving Kinlochleven on final morning.

Now I’m not an malicious person or generally wish ill will on anyone, but the hope (wishful thinking) that both I and my fellow walker came to was that we hoped he/she had been hit by a passing vehicle while crossing the road to The Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum to buy a new marker pen.

Yes it was all very disturbing and somewhat disconcerting.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby al78 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:46 am

Low Level Walker wrote:
Bastonjock wrote:There was quite a bit of graffiti on the whw from rowardenan on wards , looked like it came from an asylum seeker with mental health problems ,his statements were aimed at the police ,mi5 , the NHS and not being allowed to work , I found it very annoying as the individual had written something on most of the posts and signs

I found it somewhat ironic the “NHS are c***s” message, as if this individual was to have a fall or accident on walk then it would be the NHS that he/she would be reliant on for medical attention.

Someone could feel like that if a loved one died in the care of the NHS due to negligence.

Mental health problems crops up a lot as a contributing factor behind a lot of unpleasant acts, in particular unprovoked murder or attempted murder. I would like to know in the case of humans, why mental health conditions stimulate evil acts? Why do you never hear of a mental health condition stimulating someone to be unusually nice? Are humans at their core a nasty species underneath a thin crust of trained civility?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:22 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:we hoped he/she had been hit by a passing vehicle while crossing the road to The Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum to buy a new marker pen.

You're right, that is indeed very disturbing and somewhat disconcerting to wish that on anyone.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Csm8 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:42 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:Why would someone take a marker pen on them for such a walk? It wasn’t just the fence posts it was also rocks in the ground.

Many people carry pens on them in case of emergency for writing down important details that a person in a state of panic might forget otherwise when coordinating with rescue teams in a remote area. I carry a marker pen as part of my 'emergency/first aid kit' in the hills.
Csm8
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:42
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:13

Postby Bastonjock » Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 pm

The grafitt led me to suspect that the individual was probably an asylum seeker ,the graffiti was attacking mostly the police and MI5 ,there were references to the NHS as well and comments about freedom to work
Bastonjock
Backpacker

Munros:1   

Postby WeeHills » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:08 pm

al78 wrote:
Low Level Walker wrote:

Someone could feel like that if a loved one died in the care of the NHS due to negligence.

Mental health problems crops up a lot as a contributing factor behind a lot of unpleasant acts, in particular unprovoked murder or attempted murder. I would like to know in the case of humans, why mental health conditions stimulate evil acts? Why do you never hear of a mental health condition stimulating someone to be unusually nice? Are humans at their core a nasty species underneath a thin crust of trained civility?

Serious mental illness crops up in serious crimes not because humans are fundamentally nasty but because delusional people have the same flight or fight response as everyone else. The fact the threat they're responding to doesn't exist in reality is neither here nor there.

(my brother in law suffers from paranoid schizophrenia so sadly I've seen this all too often)
WeeHills

Postby Low Level Walker » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:25 pm

denfinella wrote:
Low Level Walker wrote:we hoped he/she had been hit by a passing vehicle while crossing the road to The Green Welly Stop at Tyndrum to buy a new marker pen.

You're right, that is indeed very disturbing and somewhat disconcerting to wish that on anyone.

Apologies. My comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I did not mean to cause any offence.
Low Level Walker
Scrambler

Munros:12   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:3

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:41 pm

Low Level Walker wrote:Apologies. My comment was slightly tongue in cheek. I did not mean to cause any offence.

No worries. So was mine. Graffiti and vandalism in the countryside, along with littering, does seem to be a growing problem which needs to be tackled.
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri May 06, 2022 2:50 pm

Beinn an Dòthaidh a few weeks ago..

matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion