walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Access at Carraig caravan site, Ardnamurchan

Access at Carraig caravan site, Ardnamurchan

Postby durham94 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:57 am

Just wondering if anyone has had access trouble at Carraig caravan site in Ardnamurchan, having had a issue there over the Easter weekend.

Note that the WH route for the lighthouse from Portuairk avoids the site (I didn't consult WH before setting out!)

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/ardnamurchanpoint.shtml
durham94
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:75
Fionas:13   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:36

Re: Access at Carraig caravan site, Ardnamurchan

Postby Scraggygoat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:33 pm

Do access rights apply to campsites and caravan parks??

Where do access rights not apply?
2.11 Access rights do not apply in the following places7.
• Land on which there is a house, caravan, tent or other place affording a person privacy or shelter, and sufficient adjacent land to enable those living there to have reasonable measures of privacy and to ensure that their enjoyment of the house or place is not unreasonably disturbed. The extent of this land may depend on the location and characteristics of the house (see paragraphs 3.13 to 3.17).

So it would depend on what would be sufficient adjacent land would be defined as.
Scraggygoat

Postby durham94 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:47 pm

I have got in touch with Highland Council for advice on this one. It's an expansive, sprawling caravan site that gets in the way of the most obvious route to the lighthouse and beach.

An interesting point, either way. Could apply to several locations (Achmelvich being the most obvious one).
durham94
Mountaineer

Postby BigTed » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:56 pm

Let us know how you get on. I don't know this area but looking on the map to my mind the caravans are widely dispersed and don't require the blocking of public access between them to the beach.

That situation looks more akin to many hamlets at road ends in the highlands where there are scattered houses. The immediate gardens are private. The fields between can be accessed.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby DopeyLoser » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:11 pm

I took a look via satellite images and street view. It looks like someone has cleverly got themselves a private beach. What would have been a simple 200m walk over open ground from the public road to the beach is now gated and fenced. Access without going through the caravan park may not be impossible but is certainly not easy.

I think if I was in the area I might make a point of wandering through, and would invite any irate 'resident' to request the polis to drive the length of Ardnamurchan to stop me from accessing 'their' beach.
DopeyLoser

Postby Scraggygoat » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:35 am

Though you can understand why they have done it, the NEDs have found Sanna and would be taking the ****, raving, camping on the beach with fires (and damaging the Machar) and generally being antisocial (as they have done at Sanna) potentially ruining their business if they gave them an inch.

Sad but true.
Scraggygoat

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:26 pm

Scraggygoat wrote:Though you can understand why they have done it, the NEDs have found Sanna and would be taking the ****, raving, camping on the beach with fires (and damaging the Machar) and generally being antisocial (as they have done at Sanna) potentially ruining their business if they gave them an inch.

Sad but true.

Whenever I have partied on the beach at Sanna it was with doctors, lawyers and engineers.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby durham94 » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:40 pm

NickyRannoch wrote:
Scraggygoat wrote:Though you can understand why they have done it, the NEDs have found Sanna and would be taking the ****, raving, camping on the beach with fires (and damaging the Machar) and generally being antisocial (as they have done at Sanna) potentially ruining their business if they gave them an inch.

Sad but true.

Whenever I have partied on the beach at Sanna it was with doctors, lawyers and engineers.

Given the cost of fuel, only the professions can make it that far from the central belt!

(I'm only half joking...)
durham94
Mountaineer

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:31 pm

Indeed.

I'm not condoning the behaviour of 25 year old me but we were staying in the privately owned house of somebody's parents. The middle classes are perfectly capable of behaving like arses too.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Senja » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:56 pm

The neds may now have found Sanna, but that caravan site has been a pain for quite a long time now. Worth doing the hills above it - had a good short but exciting walk there last Summer.

Afterwards went to very quiet and peaceful ----- Sanna.
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Postby BigTed » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:42 pm

For some reason this sort of thing makes me want to park at Sanna and walk along the shore for a camp on the beach at Portuairk.

The google maps images are from 2010 and include a phone box and post box suggesting it is a public road to the beach.

https://goo.gl/maps/crYCyidU7zAQziNG8
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:02 am

I agree that the fence here is way out of order, will be interested to hear what HC say.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby durham94 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:06 am

BigTed wrote:For some reason this sort of thing makes me want to park at Sanna and walk along the shore for a camp on the beach at Portuairk.

The google maps images are from 2010 and include a phone box and post box suggesting it is a public road to the beach.

https://goo.gl/maps/crYCyidU7zAQziNG8

BigTed: the issue is at the caravan site is to the west of Portuairk. The WH route avoids the site (blue line), but access is denied to alternative routes I have marked in red.

Capture.PNG
durham94
Mountaineer

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm

We did use to take the line marked in red to where it says NTL, but amended after the barrier went up. :?

I did find you could squeeze under the fence but doing so may be too undignified for others :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby BigTed » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Isit not possible to just walk along the shore? They own nothing below the high tide mark and as far as I am aware have no right to fence off the foreshore.

"The 2003 Act introduced a general right to roam for `everyone' over most land and inland water in Scotland, including canals and the foreshore, provided the right is exercised responsibly. "

https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=1281ebf2-966d-4a8b-b067-3c6da1be223d
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion