walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Need advice for Cairngorms 4000 with Carn a Mhaim and DP

Need advice for Cairngorms 4000 with Carn a Mhaim and DP

Postby Kaledonian » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:42 am

Hello all, need advice and critism, harsh or not please. :lol:

I enjoy long hikes and this one is probably at the upper end of my comfort zone, I have yet to bag the higher cairngorms and so this is something i find fun ambitious and challenging. I need help with the planning as I will be new to the area, I see plenty of Macdui descents direct into the Lairig Ghru but was wondering more about adding on a Mhaim and descending into the glen of dee for an ascent of Devils Point to bag 7 munros.

I would greatly appreciate any insight on the terrain and ascent/descents. I am planning to run half of this as well, if suitable. Also forgive the map as its my first attempt at creating anything with the WH tools. :crazy:

Cheers.
Attachments

New_Route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Kaledonian
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Need advice for Cairngorms 4000 with Carn a Mhaim and DP

Postby al78 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:42 am

Over 26 miles and 8,000 feet of ascent, good luck with attempting this in one day.

I would suggest backtracking from Carn a Mhaim and descending to the glen from the lowest point between it and Ben Macdui. It looks to be a waste of energy descending Carn a Mhaim in completely the wrong direction and adding at least a mile to the route.

I haven't (yet) climbed the munros on the west side of the Lairig Ghru but I understand the ascent to Cairn Toul and Sgor a Lochan Uaine is very bouldery which might slow progress to a degree. From memory, Cairn Gorm to Ben Macdui is easy terrain underfoot so if you are a fellrunner, you should bomb along that section.

Have you considered doing this as a two day walk/run, with a night in/near Corrour bothy?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby prog99 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:10 am

al78 wrote:Over 26 miles and 8,000 feet of ascent, good luck with attempting this in one day.

Nothing desperately unusual, especially for a fell runner. It’s nearly all on paths and easy going terrain.

To Kaledonian, I’d be inclined to do Carn a’Mhaim as an out and back as then you are on well travelled terrain. I didn’t include it the one time I did the circuit. Rest of your track looks identical to the way we went.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby LobeyD » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm

The descent from Macdui down Coire Clach nan Taillear is steep and rough. I've not descended down the nose of a'Mhaim but the path that runs SE off the top is fine so I would be tempted to stay on that until past the rockier bits further up, then traverse. I personally hate out and backs so I don't see any issues with your route....apart from that it would probably kill me :D .
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby al78 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:17 pm

prog99 wrote:
al78 wrote:Over 26 miles and 8,000 feet of ascent, good luck with attempting this in one day.

Nothing desperately unusual, especially for a fell runner. It’s nearly all on paths and easy going terrain.

You are probably right, fell runners are a different breed. There is no way I could do such a route in anything less than two days.

My "good luck" comment was meant to be sincere, not sarcasm i.e. I genuinely hope he can manage the route.
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby Stevekerr188 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:23 pm

Can be descended into the Lairig. I have done it myself on a backpack by descending in a SW untracked direction from the summit and then when the gradient on the Lairig side eases descend the slopes towards the path going over to Corrour bothy. Rough going for a while but can be done
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby NickyRannoch » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:50 pm

The route itself is doable but probably over 2 days with an ovrnight in/around Corrour.

For my money bounding down the easy well pitched path to pick up the Lairig Ghru south off Càrn a' Mhaim is well worth any additional distance versus descending the Allt an Tailleir which is steep, rough and wet and takes an age to get down.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby Stevekerr188 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:54 pm

Stevekerr188 wrote:Can be descended into the Lairig. I have done it myself on a backpack by descending in a SW untracked direction from the summit and then when the gradient on the Lairig side eases descend the slopes towards the path going over to Corrour bothy. Rough going for a while but can be done
tried to alter but couldn't should read descending roughly SE for a short while as per your proposed map and then swinging round to descend to the Corrour path
Stevekerr188
Backpacker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:23   Donalds:89+52
Hewitts:138
Wainwrights:214   Islands:16

Postby Fiona Reid » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:25 pm

Not a crazy route at all. We did The 4000ers a few years back and that took 10 hours 5 mins - walking, no running. Prog99 was hungry and Glenmore Lodge bar was calling so we skipped the Devil's Point - it only adds on 30 minutes tops so for round 3 we had to go back.

For adding on Carn a' Mhaim either do the out and back from Macdui and down Taillers Burn as Prog99 suggests or just continue down the normal baggers path down the SE ridge and follow the good path back round to Corrour Bothy and upwards to the Devil's Point. The out and back is slightly shorter but the section down Taillers is rough so might not save much time.

Should be a great day out. Fingers crossed you get decent weather.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:58 pm

We did a very similar route a few years ago (2 nights wild camping, but could have done it with only a one nighter) , didn't include Carn a'Mhaim but I've dropped down to the Lairig Ghru on the col between Ben Macdui and Carn a'Mhaim no problem on a separate trip.

Wee video which you may find useful as it'll give you a good idea of what to expect from the route:

WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Kaledonian » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:41 pm

Thank you guys for the information.

Have you considered doing this as a two day walk/run, with a night in/near Corrour bothy?

Hahah thanks, I like the long days out and am not afraid to call it a day if it goes wrong :lol: I remember doing Carn a Chlamain and Beinn Dearg together and just loving the wilderness experience. It was a long day but just good plodding not taxing. I was in heavy B2 boots and was such a wasted opertunity not to run the glens. Ive came along a good bit by then. Ill be running many half marathons up and down Tinto until summer is here in preparation. :lol:

Fiona Reid wrote:For adding on Carn a' Mhaim either do the out and back from Macdui and down Taillers Burn as Prog99 suggests or just continue down the normal baggers path down the SE ridge and follow the good path back round to Corrour Bothy and upwards to the Devil's Point. The out and back is slightly shorter but the section down Taillers is rough so might not save much time.

Should be a great day out. Fingers crossed you get decent weather.

Thank you for this, it seems the SE descent is more promising for what am looking for, cant beat a good path. Ill refine my map based on this.

WalkWithWallace wrote:Wee video which you may find useful as it'll give you a good idea of what to expect from the route:

Amazing :clap: youve got a new subscriber. Exactly what I was looking for.

Again thank you all very much.
Kaledonian
Hill Bagger

Munros:145   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Scottk » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:53 pm

Have a look at Steven Fallons website. I’m sure he has this as a running route.
You can dump your bags and nip up Devils Point. Fill up with water here as it can be pretty dry until you get to the wells of Dee. Once you are up high the track from Devils Point round to Braeriach and down to the Lairig Ghru is pretty good.
It’s a fantastic route with options to bail out. Even if you bail out along the Lairig Ghru, it’s better than many hills.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:59 am

I done the decent in a very similar way to your GPX but cut the corner heading south west after initial south east decent from the summit.

You could cut the corner earlier for a steeper decent....... or.......

Head back along the ridge to where Robin mentioned. This will be quite a steep decent but will save a couple of km from the route heading south from CaM summit.

PS. I found the boulder field decent from Macdui slowest and most difficult part.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:24 am

A nice day out for the young and fit. :) I went this way in '75 at the end of March when the winters lasted well into April and even into the first week of May for the skiers. From the bend in the ski road via Chalamain Gap to get access to the high ground. Crampons on in several places where the terrain was iced up.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby rgf101 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:00 am

I've gone UP the Tailler from the Lairg twice and each time I've thought "Christ this is tough, but glad I'm not coming down." Coming off your way makes a lot of sense, I think.
rgf101

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion