walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn, Creag Pitridh - route options

Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn, Creag Pitridh - route options

Postby denfinella » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:06 pm

I've been looking at options for these three Munros in the Ardverikie / Loch Laggan area combining all three via the WH route (which is here: https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/beinn-a-chlachair.shtml) doesn't really appeal.

I was thinking about splitting them into two day walks as follows:

1. Beinn a' Chlachair only - start at Luiblea as per WH route but continue all the way up to Bealach Leamhain. Then to the summit via the ENE "ridge". Descend via the WSW ridge to meet the stalkers path (hopefully) along the east bank of the Allt Cam, eventually rejoining the outward route by the 360m reservoir. Edit: there is a TR by Cairngorm Creeper for this route - seems they enjoyed it...

2. Geal Charn & Creag Pitridh - start at Kinloch Laggan and follow tracks south to meet the River Pattack around the 350m contour. Then follow the riverside track (or maybe the path half a mile further west) upstream to the 420m contour. Then west on (hopefully) a stalkers path by the Allt Dubh which goes all the way up to the NE side of Geal Charn. Up to Geal Charn summit either through Coire an Iubhair Mor, or via one of the ridges on either side (which?). Across to Creag Pitridh, and return via Coire a' Mhaigh, Lochan na h'Earba and Ardverikie House. Quite a long route (18 miles as a rough guess), but mostly on tracks / paths if they exist.

Anyway, would welcome some input and see if anyone thinks they have a better suggestion. (The tracks / paths above are on 1:25000 maps and I'm hoping they still exist.)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Beinn a'Chlachair, Geal Charn, Creag Pitridh - route opt

Postby jmarkb » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Interesting idea. The paths are all traceable on satellite imagery, so they do at least exist is some condition! I have been up the Allt Dubh path to Geal Charn, but it was snowy and misty and a very long time ago and I have next to no recollection of it. I can't really see the attraction of the WSW ridge of Beinn a' Chlachair compared to the shorter route down the NNW ridge - just seems like extra distance for no special reason, but your mileage may vary!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby denfinella » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:07 pm

Thanks @jmarkb. I take your point about the WSW ridge. It seems to me like a better way of exploring the whole hill as a full traverse rather than just one side of it, and I thought it might be quite scenic, facing a different direction to the ascent. You're right though, it does add extra mileage - though it's all downhill mileage!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Moriarty » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:49 pm

jmarkb wrote:I can't really see the attraction of the WSW ridge of Beinn a' Chlachair compared to the shorter route down the NNW ridge - just seems like extra distance for no special reason, but your mileage may vary!

Rather begs the question what the "special reason" for going up the hill was!

Summit obsession?

There are definitely people who enjoy filling out a day with a broader route.
Moriarty

Postby jmarkb » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:20 pm

Moriarty wrote:There are definitely people who enjoy filling out a day with a broader route.

Of course. The NNW ridge has merits other than brevity (nice positions overlooking the corrie). Be prepared for lots of bouldery terrain on either!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Moriarty » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:58 pm

jmarkb wrote:Be prepared for lots of bouldery terrain on either!

It didn't get that name on a whim.

However, the satellite imagery does not suggest the serious bouldery terrain extends in a confluent manner much outwith the bouldery summit cone. Much of a muchness in all directions.
Moriarty

Postby Alex W » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:45 pm

I walked your route 1, but in reverse. From Luiblea out past Lubvan and right to the end of Beinn a Chlachair. Then down the ENE ridge and back down the path to Luiblea. It's a longer route, but satisfying. The climb is straightforward and a consistent gradient. Possibly a bit tedious except you have the hills around to look at (hopefully - weather permitting). The descent ENE is a bit tricky with some scrambling or a steep section on wet grass. It would be easier climbing than descending.

Why did I pick a route longer and harder than the WH route? I'd seen Beinn a Chlachair from the Ben Alder six and loved the whale back appearance of the ridge and just fancied walking the "whale" from one end to the other.
Alex W
Mountain Walker

Munros:212   Corbetts:8
Fionas:8   Donalds:15
Sub 2000:12   
Islands:12

Postby denfinella » Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:29 pm

Thanks all.

If I did do the full "traverse" for Beinn a' Chlachair, then my instinct would definitely be to go clockwise rather than anticlockwise. More of a path for the way up, and also doing the slightly scrambly part in ascent rather than descent.

I'm not really interested in bagging all the Munros as quickly as possible (or at all!), so I'm definitely not just looking for the most efficient route.
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Cairngorm creeper » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:56 pm

denfinella wrote:I've been looking at options for these three Munros in the Ardverikie / Loch Laggan area combining all three via the WH route

1. Beinn a' Chlachair only - start at Luiblea as per WH route but continue all the way up to Bealach Leamhain. Then to the summit via the ENE "ridge". Descend via the WSW ridge to meet the stalkers path (hopefully) along the east bank of the Allt Cam, eventually rejoining the outward route by the 360m reservoir. Edit: there is a TR by Cairngorm Creeper for this route - seems they enjoyed it...)

Your right we really did enjoy this route, there is something very satisfying about being able to traverse a hill if you have the time! I think the west ridge might make a boring way up but it made for an easy descent with good views to keep you entertained! Where as the east ridge was steep enough to be fun without being difficult! If you do go this way I hope you get the lovely spring sunshine we were able to enjoy!
Cairngorm creeper
Mountain Walker

Munros:147   Corbetts:24
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:9   

Postby denfinella » Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:44 pm

Cairngorm creeper wrote:Your right we really did enjoy this route, there is something very satisfying about being able to traverse a hill if you have the time! I think the west ridge might make a boring way up but it made for an easy descent with good views to keep you entertained! Where as the east ridge was steep enough to be fun without being difficult! If you do go this way I hope you get the lovely spring sunshine we were able to enjoy!

Thanks for coming back on this. I don't have any immediate plans to visit that part of Scotland so it probably won't be for ages yet, but it gets added to the list. (Which seems to be growing faster than I can cross things off!)
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sun May 01, 2022 3:15 pm

I walked in from Dalwhinnie and stayed at Culra Bothy though that is not a option now due to asbestos and done the 3 from there and back though it was a bit of a miserable day weather wise but a nice enough walk.
Screenshot 2022-05-01 150712.jpg
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion