walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

National 3 Peak Challenge

Re: National 3 Peak Challenge

Postby EmilyD » Sun May 01, 2022 9:12 pm

I can think of easier ways to not have fun in the mountains, but my OH has done this, and he recommends doing it the other way around. The traffic between Wales and the Lakes at that time of day will be a nightmare. The M6 around or near rush hour sucks. The Ben is also the longest of the three, so it's better to do it when fresh and not at 0300.
EmilyD
Stravaiging

Munros:251   Corbetts:42
Donalds:6

Postby xtina89 » Thu May 05, 2022 10:19 am

We did this successfully a few years ago so thought I'd mention some bits so see if anything is helpful for you:

- We did the route in reverse: started Ben Nevis at 6pm (were off at 10pm); started Scafell Pike at about 3am (off at 7am) and started Snowdon at 1pm (were off before 5pm). We walked entirely in the light, which was nice. Traffic was awful between the Lakes and Snowdon. Snowdon was horribly busy at that time.

- We had someone driving who did not walk with us, they slept a little while we did Nevis and Scafell Pike. Think this is super super important - I've heard of many failed attempts where they did not have a dedicated driver, it's a lot for someone to do and potentially very dangerous.

- As much as I agree with other comments about not enjoying the hills as much due to racing about (I've done all three separately, on less busy days on less popular routes and the mountains really deserve this), I really enjoyed my challenge. The sense of achievement was great and the sense of comradery on the hills with other 3 peaks walkers was great - you would keep seeing the same people on all three hills and checking in with them! We had a magical time on Scafell Pike as the sun was rising, I really cherish this memory. We also raised a large of money for charity. I would definitely recommend doing it once.

Hope you have a lovely and successful time and the weather is good for your challenge! We had 3 very different hill experiences on ours (solid rain, sleet and no visibility on Nevis; perfect clear sunny but cool sunrise conditions on Scafell Pike, total heatwave, over 25c, searing sunburn conditions on Snowdon) - make sure you're prepared for anything!
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Postby al78 » Thu May 05, 2022 11:38 am

xtina89 wrote:We did this successfully a few years ago so thought I'd mention some bits so see if anything is helpful for you:

- We did the route in reverse: started Ben Nevis at 6pm (were off at 10pm); started Scafell Pike at about 3am (off at 7am) and started Snowdon at 1pm (were off before 5pm). We walked entirely in the light, which was nice. Traffic was awful between the Lakes and Snowdon. Snowdon was horribly busy at that time.

How can you have walked entirely in the light if you started Scafell Pike at 3am? The earliest sunrise is around 4:30am near the summer solstice. I don't count nautical twilight as "in the light".

Additionally, how could you have climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike in the same time (4 hours) given that the Ben Nevis ascent is longer with a lot more ascent?
al78
Walker

Munros:32   Corbetts:9
Donalds:1

Postby xtina89 » Thu May 05, 2022 12:08 pm

al78 wrote:
How can you have walked entirely in the light if you started Scafell Pike at 3am? The earliest sunrise is around 4:30am near the summer solstice. I don't count nautical twilight as "in the light".

Additionally, how could you have climbed Ben Nevis and Scafell Pike in the same time (4 hours) given that the Ben Nevis ascent is longer with a lot more ascent?

Ahh apols, this was a good few years ago! Trying to remember all my numbers.

I know we did Nevis in 3hrs 55, Scafell Pike in 2hrs 55 and did Snowdon in 3hrs 30 - but that we did the whole thing in 22hrs 45. Made an error on my quoted times above, would have been more like 4am-7am on Scafell. Should have been much quicker but the roads were against us and we spent a long time in traffic between Scafell Pike and Snowdon!

It was definitely very very light on Scafell Pike but pre-sunrise when we started, as I mentioned we saw the sunrise from the top. Was mid June so very close to solstice.
xtina89
Mountain Walker

Munros:56   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:10   Islands:12

Postby Fairweather Softie » Thu May 05, 2022 12:38 pm

Not exactly the official challenge but did these 3 a few years ago over 3 consecutive days with loads of beer each night so have to say we probably enjoyed it more that you will. :wink:

Ben Nevis: Snowing at top with poor visibility
Scafell Pike: Got lost on driver from over night stop in Carlisle, and got sunburnt on way up.
Snowdon: Windy as hell, touched the top and then tried to get train down, no room so a walk it was.
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby BigTed » Thu May 05, 2022 3:37 pm

As for the schoolof thought that the 3 peaks is a bit of a waste and pointless? Seems it isn't any more pointless than climbing hills for no other reason than they top 3000ft.

Many of the games we play are not logical depending how you look at them.
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby Sgurr » Thu May 05, 2022 5:08 pm

I feel sorry for the locals near Scafell Pike who inveitably have a minority thundering around getting lost in the midle of the night.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Chris Henshall » Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 pm

There are, honestly, quite a lot of problems with this.
If you were doing it by boat, starting from Barmouth and getting up the hills from Dinorwic, Ravenglass / Whitehaven and Fort William, that'd be a worthwhile challenge but, while a driving fest with some hill-climbing is better than sitting on your backside watching East Enders, it's a bit intrusive with regard to local communities and adds to congestion problems around Pen y Pass, Wasdale Head, etc.
Why not go for either the Lakeland or the Welsh 3,000 footers in a day? Both are probably a harder challenge and, instead of headbanging your way up hundreds of miles of motorway, you'll be out in the hills for the best part of 24 hours. Much more fun!
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby al78 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:07 pm

BigTed wrote:As for the schoolof thought that the 3 peaks is a bit of a waste and pointless? Seems it isn't any more pointless than climbing hills for no other reason than they top 3000ft.

It is the challenge aspect and the desire to push yourself and achieve something in your mind. Depends on whether you think going for a sense of achievement for the emotional benefit is logical or not.
al78
Walker

Postby James Picksley » Mon May 09, 2022 10:57 am

al78 wrote:
BigTed wrote:As for the schoolof thought that the 3 peaks is a bit of a waste and pointless? Seems it isn't any more pointless than climbing hills for no other reason than they top 3000ft.

It is the challenge aspect and the desire to push yourself and achieve something in your mind. Depends on whether you think going for a sense of achievement for the emotional benefit is logical or not.

I agree with Chris Henshall on this. Clearly these types of challenges are all manufactured (I'm not saying this is a bad thing - I manufacture my own challenges, so I understand the emotional and physical need to do things like this), but, the main 3 peaks challenge now has way too many downsides (already listed so I won't repeat them) and I respectively put to you that it's a bad idea.

Other ideas to those already put forward that can be done in a day or two: Cairngorms 4000m peaks, all 4000m peaks in Scotland, Tranters Round, etc. There are loads that don't have the downsides to the National 3 peaks and are just as, if not more, challenging nut are still achievable and have the added bonus of being a bit more imaginative and enjoyable.

Good luck with whatever you do though.
James Picksley

Munros:232   Corbetts:32

Postby al78 » Mon May 09, 2022 3:46 pm

James Picksley wrote:
al78 wrote:

I agree with Chris Henshall on this. Clearly these types of challenges are all manufactured (I'm not saying this is a bad thing - I manufacture my own challenges, so I understand the emotional and physical need to do things like this), but, the main 3 peaks challenge now has way too many downsides (already listed so I won't repeat them) and I respectively put to you that it's a bad idea.

Other ideas to those already put forward that can be done in a day or two: Cairngorms 4000m peaks, all 4000m peaks in Scotland, Tranters Round, etc. There are loads that don't have the downsides to the National 3 peaks and are just as, if not more, challenging nut are still achievable and have the added bonus of being a bit more imaginative and enjoyable.

Good luck with whatever you do though.

I'm not saying whether or not it's a good idea, so no need to put anything to me. I merely explained the attraction to some people, it is like doing the Munros or LEJOG. It doesn't appeal to me at all and I'd much prefer to do something that doesn't involve major sleep deprivation and negative externalities.

It is impossible to do the Cairngorm or Scotland 4000m peaks, since there are no such peaks in Scotland. You have to go to the Alps for peaks that high. :-) Theoretically I'd like to have a go at the Yorkshire 3 peaks, the Welsh 3000'ers but not in one day, the loch Mullardoch round but over two days, the Mammores ridge followed by the Grey Corries and the Aonachs (again, over two days), but I think I am only capable of the Yorkshire 3 peaks.
al78
Walker

Postby James Picksley » Tue May 10, 2022 9:34 am

al78 wrote:
I'm not saying whether or not it's a good idea, so no need to put anything to me. I merely explained the attraction to some people, it is like doing the Munros or LEJOG. It doesn't appeal to me at all and I'd much prefer to do something that doesn't involve major sleep deprivation and negative externalities.

It is impossible to do the Cairngorm or Scotland 4000m peaks, since there are no such peaks in Scotland. You have to go to the Alps for peaks that high. :-) Theoretically I'd like to have a go at the Yorkshire 3 peaks, the Welsh 3000'ers but not in one day, the loch Mullardoch round but over two days, the Mammores ridge followed by the Grey Corries and the Aonachs (again, over two days), but I think I am only capable of the Yorkshire 3 peaks.

Haha! Fair points! You got me twice there. Apologies, my comment on not doing the national 3 peaks was for the OP and not you, but I can see how it came across like that.

And you're quite right! No 4000m peaks in Scotland! You think I'd know that given how often I've been in the Cairgorms.
James Picksley

Munros:232   Corbetts:32

Postby al78 » Tue May 10, 2022 12:32 pm

James Picksley wrote:
al78 wrote:

Haha! Fair points! You got me twice there. Apologies, my comment on not doing the national 3 peaks was for the OP and not you, but I can see how it came across like that.

And you're quite right! No 4000m peaks in Scotland! You think I'd know that given how often I've been in the Cairgorms.

Although I think the Cairngorms were that high after they were first formed, and what we see now is the granite intrusion with thousands of feet of softer rock eroded away.
al78
Walker

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion