walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Old items of food left in bags

Old items of food left in bags

Postby Pointless Parasite » Tue May 10, 2022 6:15 am

While rumaging through my rucksack I found an apple I'd packed for a walking trip last month. I hate throwing away food, so I've just eaten it. So far, I feel fine (after about 5 minutes). What's the oldest food item you've found at the bottom of a rucksack and did you eat it?
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Old items of food left in bags

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 10, 2022 6:26 am

A bag of selected cheeses. I wondered why the store room stank like a dead badger. They had gone blue and green, and furry. I did not eat them. Had to scrub out the rucksack with detergent.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Tue May 10, 2022 8:00 am

I once found what appeared to be a flat, black piece of wood in the bottom of my sack. Took me a moment to realise that it had once been a banana. I did not eat it.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue May 10, 2022 8:04 am

I had a Belvita biscuit copy from Aldi, it had been in and out of my rucksack loads of times, that the wrapper had faded, decided to eat it and it was disgusting and spat it out. :shock: The wrapper must have been damaged and let air in.
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby AyrshireAlps » Tue May 10, 2022 8:45 am

Watch Beau Miles on YouTube, he does mad stuff like walking the 70 miles into work instead of driving, eating stuff he finds by the roadside.

Australian, properly funny, very intelligent and engaging too.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue May 10, 2022 12:19 pm

AyrshireAlps wrote:Watch Beau Miles on YouTube, he does mad stuff like walking the 70 miles into work instead of driving, eating stuff he finds by the roadside.
Australian, properly funny, very intelligent and engaging too.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingthingy used to do that with roadkill. I know a man who eats a lot of roadkill; deer, hares, pheasants, etc. I reckon he took it too far, from his comment; "I wouldn't have badger again..." :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby cruachan06 » Tue May 10, 2022 8:08 pm

I have quite a few ration bits and pieces so regularly use coffee whitener that's well past use by, it's fine but I had some old hot chocolate from around 2018 the other week and it was very chalky. Had several meals from that era too and they're fine IME. I'm certainly not eating anything as old as Steve1989MREInfo on youtube, he's eaten loads of vintage rations including civil war era hardtack.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby allanglens » Tue May 10, 2022 9:32 pm

cruachan06 wrote:I have quite a few ration bits and pieces so regularly use coffee whitener that's well past use by, it's fine but I had some old hot chocolate from around 2018 the other week and it was very chalky. Had several meals from that era too and they're fine IME. I'm certainly not eating anything as old as Steve1989MREInfo on youtube, he's eaten loads of vintage rations including civil war era hardtack.

American or English?
allanglens
Rambler

Munros:8   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby cruachan06 » Tue May 10, 2022 11:39 pm

allanglens wrote:
cruachan06 wrote:I have quite a few ration bits and pieces so regularly use coffee whitener that's well past use by, it's fine but I had some old hot chocolate from around 2018 the other week and it was very chalky. Had several meals from that era too and they're fine IME. I'm certainly not eating anything as old as Steve1989MREInfo on youtube, he's eaten loads of vintage rations including civil war era hardtack.

American or English?

American

cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed May 11, 2022 8:14 am

allanglens wrote:
cruachan06 wrote: I'm certainly not eating anything as old as Steve1989MREInfo on youtube, he's eaten loads of vintage rations including civil war era hardtack.

American or English?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A bloke in recent years found an American Civil War -Era cannon ball, the typre which was a hollow iron ball filled with gunpowder, with a fuse which burns as the ball flies through the air then explodes over the enemy. Well, he thought it would be harmless by now so he took it home and drilled into it with an electric drill. Unfortunately gunpowder becomes very volatile if stored for a long time, producing Nitroglycerine, a very dangerous substance which explodes on the slightest whim, especially if you drill into it with an electric drill. The ball exploded and killed him.
During lockdown as I went through my kitchen cupboards hoping to stave off scurvy, I discovered a fruit jelly block dated 2013. I didn't eat it. :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby dt27348 » Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 am

P1010942.JPG

Who remembers these?
A friend came across these while having a clear out recently. I remember them from the 1980's. They have no sell/use by date so presumably they're still edible. They weren't great back then and I very much doubt the passage of time will have seen any improvement.
dt27348
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:167
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:24

Postby Ewen1966 » Thu May 12, 2022 8:03 am

dt27348 wrote:
P1010942.JPG

Who remembers these?
A friend came across these while having a clear out recently. I remember them from the 1980's. They have no sell/use by date so presumably they're still edible. They weren't great back then and I very much doubt the passage of time will have seen any improvement.

We got some of those new fangled dehydrated stuff from Tiso in 85. It seriously blocked us up. When we could actually go for a dump it came out fluorescent yellow. I still remember it....
Ewen1966
Mountain Walker

Munros:24   

Postby jupe1407 » Mon May 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Nothing particularly disgusting to offer in terms of hill-related, however I did once discover (well I assume it was) a banana which i'd left in my golf bag at the start of the new season. It had been there since September the year before and had basically become black mush :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion