walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Leaving a car near Garve station

Leaving a car near Garve station

Postby PaulEvans » Tue May 10, 2022 8:42 am

Hi
I'm thinking of having a few days backpacking in Torridon and it would be convenient to leave my car at Garve station (I understand there is a small free car park), head west on the train, and then walk north, returning on the Ullapool to Garve bus some days later.

Anybody left cars at the station car park or elsewhere nearby in Garve?

Cheers

Paul E
PaulEvans
Rock-climber

Munros:9   

Re: Leaving a car near Garve station

Postby Tringa » Tue May 10, 2022 2:46 pm

I haven't left a car at Garve but I reckon it would probably OK. I'd be tempted to ask around when you get there. Alternatively there is the Garve Hotel who might be able to help with a parking spot; you could give them a ring.

Some serious walking involved in getting from, say Achnashellach or Strathcarron stations to the Ullapool to Garve road.

Dave
Tringa

Postby prog99 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:30 pm

Unfortunately the Garve Hotel is shut and up for sale.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby WalkWithWallace » Tue May 10, 2022 6:28 pm

Just leave a note in the windscreen saying "No assistance required". 8)
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:193
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed May 11, 2022 12:57 am

I haven't left a car at Garve Station but I have left the car overnight at other stations in the highlands without issue.

Have a look and see what the sign in the station says. I've a feeling it will say for customers use - which you are.

There are a couple of laybys coming into Garve heading west and just before the Achnasheen turn off when leaving Garve that I have stopped in for a short time which wouldn't be a problem to leave overnight.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Postby PaulEvans » Wed May 11, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks all. Have emailed Scotrail to check with them. Google streetview shows a large-ish car park - completely empty, so don't think it should be an issue. Will update if I hear any different.

Paul
PaulEvans
Rock-climber

Postby PaulEvans » Thu May 12, 2022 7:44 am

And have now heard back from Scotrail, very helpful people. Their response was -
"Thanks for contacting us at ScotRail Customer Services.

We will be glad to help you with this query. Garve is an unmanned station, and the 10 parking spaces there are free for rail users. We would advise putting a receipt for your ticket in the windscreen to show that you are a rail user.

Please note, vehicles left in our stations are done so at the customer's risk, as even manned stations are closed for a few hours in the early hours of the morning".

Sounds very reasonable, sounds like the same policy would apply to any Scotrail station car parks which are free to use.
Clearly would not apply to those where there are charges....

Paul
PaulEvans
Rock-climber

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion