walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Runnable Munros Near Lochcarron

Runnable Munros Near Lochcarron

Postby malrc » Tue May 10, 2022 4:03 pm

Hi All,

I'm staying in Lochcarron for a week later this month and in addition to an overnight loop of 9 of the Kintail Munros (Beinn Fhada to Sgurr Fhuaran), I'm hoping to get in some quick early morning ascents (back before breakfast/brunch to keep the wife happy).

As such, I'm looking for munros that I can drive to, climb and descend in less than 4 hours total. To achieve this, I'd ideally hike up and run down, but I'm aware that not all descents allow for effective/efficient running. I'm a decent runner, but no mountain goat by any standards, so very steep or technical terrain will prevent me from running, but more mellow gradients, even with some technicality requiring quick feet and careful foot placement are fine.

For reference, I managed Blaven CP to CP in a little under 2 hours 20 mins; once off the steeper upper section, the rest of the path back to the CP allowing for near-continuous running.

Long (sorry) preamble aside, would be good to get opinions on how runnable the following obvious candidates are and if there are other good options:

Fionn Bheinn
Maol Chean-Dearg
Moruisg (with and without Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean)

Options that look a bit of a stretch in under 4 hours include:

Sgòrr Ruadh
Beinn Liath Mhor

Many Thanks
malrc
Hill Bagger

Munros:48   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:20
Islands:3

Re: Runnable Munros Near Lochcarron

Postby prog99 » Tue May 10, 2022 4:33 pm

Maol Chean-Dearg would be an obvious choice as it’s mostly on paths.
Fionn Bheinn & Moruisg are a tad more rugged underfoot.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby davemorrissey » Tue May 10, 2022 6:34 pm

Fionn Bheinn would be okay if hiking up, it has sections of steep, grassy and boggy ground on the ascent but mostly firm ground and good paths on the descent.
Moruisg is very boggy lower down and steep and rough higher up.
Maol Chean-Dearg has excellent paths, with loose broken rocks in places, but there's a steep scree section, and a boulder field up to the summit.
davemorrissey

Munros:82   Corbetts:12
Fionas:11   Donalds:37+18
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:24
Islands:19

Postby malrc » Tue May 10, 2022 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replies! MC-D and then FB seem like the obvious choices
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed May 11, 2022 1:31 am

If you can walk up and then run down Blaven in less than 2 hours 20 mins. I can't see Sgorr Ruadh or Beinn Liath Mhor being an issue. I walked Sgorr Ruadh stopping for a bite to eat in around 5.5 hours a couple of weeks ago. It's a short drive also. Fuar Tholl an equally fine hill, shorter walk though not a munro. All shorter drives than Fionn Bheinn and far finer options. If you feel it's a bit tight you could always start half an hour earlier.

All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 11, 2022 7:47 am

If you wanted to look beyond Munros, Sgurr na Feartaig might be a good option - a nice circuit almost entirely on stalkers' paths and forestry track.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby malrc » Wed May 11, 2022 9:04 am

I think I'd like to stick to Munros as I have very limited opportunities to get up to Scotland (live outside London) so every bit helps towards completing a round.

Will keep Sgorr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mhor under consideration and see how the legs are feeling. The short drive is an obvious bonus and, as stated, can always set out a bit earlier.

Fionn Bheinn being far from the finest of hills isn't too much of an issue given I'll be pushing hard to get up and down as quickly as possible as opposed to taking my time and enjoying the scenery.
malrc
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Wed May 11, 2022 4:12 pm

malrc wrote:I think I'd like to stick to Munros as I have very limited opportunities to get up to Scotland (live outside London) so every bit helps towards completing a round.

That's fair enough - we all have different goals and motivations! Makes sense to use your limited time allowance to pick off the singletons. Hope you have a good trip and the weather is kind to you.

If you end up doing a quick up-and-down of Moruisg, beware of mistaking a large cairn at the the NE end of the summit ridge for the true top!
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Lournieloon » Thu May 12, 2022 7:11 pm

Mt Snowdon, Helvellyn, and Scafell pike you'll love them. They are just down the road from Lochcarron 🙃
Lournieloon
Mountaineer

Postby Bridge » Sat May 14, 2022 9:01 am

I am reading this thread with interest. We will also be staying near Lochcarron for a week shortly. I have also noted down all the munros mentioned. In comparison our trip up and down Blaven took us 9 hours!!
In our defence, we had a bit of a walk to and from the start as the car park was closed and we really like to take in the views.
Bridge
Walker

Munros:84   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion