walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

guidebooks, etc.

guidebooks, etc.

Postby pula58 » Fri May 13, 2022 10:01 pm

Looking for good guidebooks for wild camping, multi day routes....some scrambling too. My wife and I are very experienced backpackers (in USA this means what you would call "wild camping"), mountaineering experience, glacier travel. We usually wild camp here in Washington state USA 25 weekends or so a year, including winter, with some 4-5 day trips thrown in for good measure.

We want to visit Scotland for 2 weeks or so and do a few trips, maybe stay in a lodge in-between to re-supply and get cleaned up!

Anyhow, any tips for guidebooks? Hotel lodge tips? Where to get isobutane canister fuel?

Thanks!
pula58
Rambler

Re: guidebooks, etc.

Postby gaffr » Sat May 14, 2022 6:00 am

Time of year for your visit?
Will you have use of a vehicle?
Small island here but weather can be different within short distances apart.
Biting insects can be a pest when camping in the Midge season.
Can't immediately think of.a guidebook. Perhaps the SMC regional guides as a starter.
I guess that we all have our favourite areas.....I would throw in both the Cuillin and the Fisherfield areas to be worth a look at.
Also worth looking aroind on the Forum for some inspiration.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby prog99 » Sat May 14, 2022 9:56 am

Unfortunately the smc regional guides are hard to get hold of now.

To the op, what do you mean by lodge?
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Mal Grey » Sat May 14, 2022 11:10 am

Hi there

I'd try and narrow it down a bit before looking for an actual guidebook, at least to the general area, or a specific long distance route if that's your preference. There's lots of information on the internet, but this very website is one of the best places to start. Read some reports on anything you like the sound of, and it'll give you a good idea of the type of terrain.

Once you've narrowed it down a bit, Cicerone Press do some great guides.

A few possibles that spring to mind -

- Skye Trail (mixed walking, some fairly wild, on this wonderful island, without any technical difficulties on route, but very close to the best scrambling in Scotland)
- Affric-Kintail (a short-ish few days walking through beautiful glens)
- West Highland Way (rather popular but a good intro to Scotland, and with much more infrastructure than the others)
- part of the Cape Wrath Trail (the ultimate Scottish long distance walk, but not a marked trail as such, and passes through some quite wild country with few places to re-supply).

If you wanted to make up your own route, which I would definitely recommend as an option, some of the most dramatic areas suitable for experience hikers are; The Cairngorms, Torridon, Fisherfield, Knoydart, Kintail. There are many more. Walking in the Scottish hills normally requires a decent level of navigation, few trails are marked (some of the LDP are, some aren't), using map and compass work. Ordnance Survey maps are excellent quality and widely available. GPS/phone as a back up only would be my choice, often there is no phone signal in the wilder glens.

If by lodge, you mean hotel/b&b, most of these walks will have something at the ends or at key points, but you'll have to book well in advance if its a summer trip you're after. They won't in themselves be able to resupply you, and you'd want to check where the nearest supermarkets are, most larger villages would have a small one.

Gas canisters would be best sourced at the beginning of your trip. They are most common in what we call Outdoor Shops, one of the biggest is Tiso (a bit like REI) who have branches in the cities. Once in the wilds, it depends where you are really. Towns like Fort William and Ullapool will always have somewhere, smaller places maybe not, and supply chains have been a bit sporadic since Covid. We tend to have two types of isobutane canisters; screwfit general ones such as Primus, GoGas, Coleman, MSR, Jetboil which are likely what you are familiar with; and Campingaz which are blue ones with a specific fit that only work with Campingaz stoves.

To really see the best of Scotland, I would try to keep some flexibility in your planning, so as to adapt where you go to the forecast weather. Sometimes the west is bad when the east is good. Unfortunately it can change very quickly, but you'll probably be used to that in Washington state!

Finally, avoid the main summer months of late June to mid-September because of the scourge of the Scottish midge and, worse in some areas, people ;) If I could chose any "best" time to go, it would be now, Easter to mid-May, or maybe late Sept.

Enjoy your planning!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby pula58 » Sat May 14, 2022 4:52 pm

We're thinking late summer/autumn (mid to late sept). We would probably rent a car. By "lodge" I mean a simple hotel room, maybe a Bed and breakfast, or something simple. Luxury not wanted or needed.

We have all sorts of clothing, gear, shelter, etc.

We're thinking we'd use our Tarptent Stratospire 2 tent. It does well in winds up to about 30MPH or so, has very l;arge vestibules for hunkering down in bad weather.

I'll take a look at the Cicerone Press guides....
pula58
Rambler

Postby Girl Outdoors » Sat May 14, 2022 9:16 pm

Yes dont forget the bug dope! Even if the midges have backed off there's still the ticks. Once you've narrowed down your taget areas you may with to take a wander on the map before you come. Streetmap is a good option. Enter your aproximate location and then zoom in the OS 1:50,000 or 1:25,000 layers
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

Bing maps also has OS layers but I find that slower to load

I've lived and hiked in both the northern US and Canada. While beautiful areas for hiking one advantage we do have here is that you dont have to worry about having to keep your food out of the tent and hang it from a tree.

For fuel and equipment try Go Outdoors or Tiso in the larger cities or smaller outlets locally (may be scarse in isolated locations though). Go Outdoors have a great discount card price for just £5 a year
Girl Outdoors
Wanderer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion