walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Lawers Parking

Ben Lawers Parking

Postby grant453 » Sat May 14, 2022 12:11 pm

Hi all, I’m planning to hike Ben lawers near killin in a few weeks but want to bivvy part way up the descent on one night. I know there is parking at the base on the way up to the reservoir (with toilet facilities) but I was wandering if I can park overnight, how much it costs and if I can pay by card (or better to bring coins)?
grant453
Munro compleatist

Munros:73   

Re: Ben Lawers Parking

Postby Dave Hewitt » Sat May 14, 2022 10:33 pm

grant453 wrote:I know there is parking at the base on the way up to the reservoir (with toilet facilities)

It's a long time since there were any toilet facilities there - 15 years? The "new" car park is on the opposite side of the road (west) and slightly lower down than the old one that had the visitor centre. There are public loos back down in Killin and over in Glen Lyon, but nothing in between.
Dave Hewitt
Mountaineer

Postby grant453 » Sun May 15, 2022 10:34 am

That isn’t what I asked. My questions were:
- can I park overnight,
- how much does it cost
- can I pay by card (or better to bring coins)?
grant453
Munro compleatist

Postby mikedunn » Sun May 15, 2022 1:58 pm

The answer you got from Dave was surely helpful in updating you on current facilities? Your rather ungracious reply is unlikely to elicit further responses I'd have thought. I'm sure you didn't mean to come over as rude :)
mikedunn
Stravaiging

Munros:233   Corbetts:205
Fionas:131   Donalds:89+51
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:49
Wainwrights:27   Islands:29

Postby grant453 » Sun May 15, 2022 2:08 pm

If comes across as ungracious I apologise but my question was not about the facilities as I want to wild camp (it just looks like on Google maps that there is a large building next to the parking.

My question was with regard to being able to park there overnight and how much it costs to park.
grant453
Munro compleatist

Postby davekeiller » Sun May 15, 2022 3:43 pm

I think this is the car park you're thinking of https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/ben-lawers/planning-your-visit
Officially, it costs £3, or free for NTS members.
I suspect that overnight parking is tolerated. to get an official answer to your questions, you can contact the ranger direct.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Fiona Reid » Sun May 15, 2022 3:44 pm

See https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/ben-lawers/planning-your-visit

£3 a day to park or free if a member of NTS (or regular NT).

I can't remember if the parking meter takes coins/ cards etc but I dare say National Trust Scotland may be able to tell you.

For overnight parking, I don't know what the deal is as I've only been for day trips. There is a small amount of parking after the NTS car park where you should be able to park overnight but that might be occupied by diggers as there are some major repairs to the road starting 9th May for 4 weeks.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby cruachan06 » Sun May 15, 2022 3:45 pm

£3 to park according to the National Trust for Scotland website, but no mention of overnight parking

https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/ben-lawers

Probably worth contacting them directly and asking, not least to check areas to camp even in a Bivvy as I know that there're lots of conservation issues at Ben Lawers - it has incredibly diverse flora & fauna and they don't want people straying far from the paths for that reason.
cruachan06
Walker

Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2

Postby Quincy » Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm

I’ve driven past that car park the last few years to do hills and it’s been very busy. A lot of people seem to park on the verge either side which may solve your problem of overnight parking but beware as some of the verges are soft and I’ve seen cars having to be pushed back out. It’s extremely popular so I would get there early. Especially as that’s a holiday weekend.
Quincy
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:46
Fionas:15   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:24   

Postby dave munn » Sun May 15, 2022 10:27 pm

The NTS website asks visitors to not park overnight at their car parks, pointing to lack of facilities. As to whether this would enforced, does not say. There are a number of other small spots to park further up the road that could be an option.
dave munn
Mountain Walker

Postby Senja » Mon May 16, 2022 10:25 am

Would that include all the multi day trips out of their Linn of Dee car park. I have never had a problem with that
Senja

Munros:132   Corbetts:27
Fionas:189   Donalds:58
Sub 2000:479   Hewitts:298
Wainwrights:97   Islands:64

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion