walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Books

Books

Postby ohsosky » Sun May 15, 2022 5:14 pm

Can anybody recommend me a good outdoorsy book. Preferably something with a bit of humour but at least won’t give me the heebie jeebies on my first solo wild camp next week :shock: bonus points for canine companions :D

Thanks all
ohsosky
Backpacker

Re: Books

Postby jmarkb » Sun May 15, 2022 5:38 pm

Have you read Andrew Cotter's "Olive, Mabel and Me"? More a humorous book about dogs with some outdoor content, but it might fit the bill. https://blackandwhitepublishing.com/collections/andrew-cotter/products/olive-mabel-me-b
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby prog99 » Sun May 15, 2022 6:02 pm

Mountain days and bothy nights.
The complete Lachlan.

Both light hearted.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby nigheandonn » Sun May 15, 2022 7:20 pm

There's one called Pennine Walkies, but I can't remember whether I actually read it or not...
nigheandonn
Wanderer

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:7   Donalds:26+10
Sub 2000:64   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:214   Islands:34

Postby Chris Henshall » Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm

There's always the popular "Last Hillwalker" and "Bothy Tales" by John Burns but how about "The Return of John MacNab" by Andrew Greig? It's a bit more palatable than Buchan's original and the pages keep turning...
Chris Henshall
Mountaineer

Munros:253   
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun May 15, 2022 9:04 pm

Fiva by Gordon Stainforth is very gripping, although dog free.

Described as "A wonderful, nostalgic, gripping, classic yarn with great humour.” by Joe Simpson, author of Touching the Void
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby weedavie » Mon May 16, 2022 9:30 am

Chris Henshall wrote:There's always the popular "Last Hillwalker" and "Bothy Tales" by John Burns but how about "The Return of John MacNab" by Andrew Greig? It's a bit more palatable than Buchan's original and the pages keep turning...

Buchan's John MacNab is a superb book. It is flavoured by the attitudes of the time but it has a real sense of location, tells a gripping tale and provides a picture of highland social structuring, even if the view is from above.

Greig's book is turgid and over-written and the character development is far from credible, even if you manage to stay inerested in it. It's years since I read it, but I remember finding the scrambling sequence incoherent. Buchan was a keen climber, and in books like The Three Hostages he succeeds in getting the thrill across.
weedavie
Mountain Walker

Postby MRG1 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 am

jmarkb wrote:Have you read Andrew Cotter's "Olive, Mabel and Me"? More a humorous book about dogs with some outdoor content, but it might fit the bill. https://blackandwhitepublishing.com/collections/andrew-cotter/products/olive-mabel-me-b

Good call
I've seen a few of his videos on YouTube and never realised that he had written a book.
MRG1
Rambler

Munros:17   Corbetts:12
Fionas:8   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:24   

Postby trailhombre » Mon May 16, 2022 9:51 am

Out There by Chris Townsend. Not much dog content, but an inspiring read nonetheless.
trailhombre
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:1

Postby Booga » Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:40 am

The Weekend Fix by Craig Weldon
The Cairngorms Scene and Unseen by Syd Scroggie
Return to the Secret Howff by Ashie Brebner

There was a good book thread on the old UK Bothies forum that had been added to by users over the years.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Postby AyrshireAlps » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:43 pm

Chris Townsend doing the Scots divide is very good, Alan Rowans books are nice and light hearted too, but he knows his stuff and like Townsend has walked the walk.
AyrshireAlps
Stravaiging

Postby BigTed » Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:15 pm

A digital book. And free. Walking The Watershed by Dave Hewitt of Angry Corrie fame.

Walking the line from the border with England to the north coast.

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/hewwat/index.html
BigTed
Mountain Walker

Postby LobeyD » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:28 pm

It's been a while, but if you are looking for something funny, 'A Walk in the Wilds' by Bill Bryson is recommended.

On recent trips I've read 'Along the Divide' and 'Out There' by Chris Townsend, and 'Farthest Shore' by Alex Roddie, all of which are excellent. Hamish Brown's 'Hamish's Mountain Walk' is rightly acclaimed but may leave you feeling a bit inadequate.

Slightly more tangential, but I enjoyed 'Wayfinding' by Michael Bond on how we absorb maps and landscapes, and also Robert McFarlane's books which are a bit more cerebral and contemplative, but very good if you like that sort of thing.
LobeyD

Munros:254   Corbetts:94
Fionas:38   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:24 pm

Always a Little Further by Alastair Borthwick. Written in the thirties about lads getting out of Glasgow and heading for the hills. Still very funny.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Booga » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:25 pm

BigTed wrote:A digital book. And free. Walking The Watershed by Dave Hewitt of Angry Corrie fame.

Walking the line from the border with England to the north coast.

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/hewwat/index.html

I have a physical copy of this and am currently reading through it. Good so far.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion